Cora and George?

Our daughter is [name]Cora[/name] [name]Claire[/name]. New baby is a gender surprise. Our last name is 3 syllables, starting with Mc______.

During our first gender surprise pregnancy, the boy option was [name]Jude[/name] [name]Everett[/name] ([name]Everett[/name] is my dad’s name). I still [name]LOVE[/name] this and want to use it, and I think is a good set with [name]Cora[/name]. But, DH has a growing sentimental attachment to the name [name]George[/name], after his deceased maternal grandfather. We are tiptoeing around this topic, not wanting to say anything harsh, but I’ll freely say here that I really, really, really don’t like the name [name]George[/name]. Especially with [name]Cora[/name]. Husband does not seem interested in relegating it to middle name status. He’s not insisting on using the name, but suggests it every time the topic comes up no matter how often I gently refuse. He seems to think that a good compromise is [name]George[/name] [name]Everett[/name].

First question: Is it just me not liking the name on its own, or is that really a bad pairing with [name]Cora[/name]?

When [name]Cora[/name] was born, we had two other girl names picked out. I liked [name]Lacy[/name] [name]Elise[/name], he liked [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Claire[/name]. We refused to agree, and had to come up with something new during the 24 hours we were in the hospital. I love my sweet girl’s name and am relieved that I don’t have name regret, but I did not like having to start from scratch after she was already born. My gut tells me that we’ll both agree to abandon our current choices ([name]George[/name] and [name]Jude[/name]) in favor on arriving on a new name together.

Second question: Boy names for [name]Cora[/name]'s sibling? (No first letter B, prefer a name w/out nicknames)

Since you had first considered using your dad’s name for a middle name, I might gently remind him of that when DH insists on [name]George[/name] as a first name or nothing at all. While not the tradition in my family, middle names are often reserved for family names/honor names, etc. Or, if you want to be a smart-a** (like I probably would be if my DH were acting like this), I’d agree that [name]George[/name] is fine for one part of the first name, but I’d insist that it be a hyphenated first name: [name]George[/name]-Humperdink. [name]George[/name]-[name]Beatrice[/name]. [name]George[/name]-[name]Alvin[/name]. Something absurd and ridiculous. (Obviously, this is not the recommended path to resolving conflict in any marriage, but it’s funny to contemplate.)

However, if he absolutely refuses to budge, then you’ll both probably have to bite the bullet and pick a completely new name with no personal family attachment. That sucks, BTW, and I’m sorry if that’s what you guys end up doing. Hopefully your DH will come around and some sort of compromise can be reached. FWIW, I dislike [name]George[/name], too. :slight_smile:

other suggestions:
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Foster[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Reid[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Jacob[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Paul[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Myles[/name]/[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Cornelius[/name] :slight_smile:

Good luck!

WOW–[name]Cora[/name] is at the top of my list, and for a long time I have been debating whether [name]George[/name] works with it or not. It’s my grandfather’s name (I actually really like it), but I think that the two together (as much as it disappoints me) might be way too “OR” heavy sound-wise. Like, if the names had more to them, like [name]Cordelia[/name] and [name]Georgette[/name], then there would be enough other sounds to distinguish between them. But [name]Cora[/name] and [name]George[/name] are short, and “OR” is the main sound in each… I’m still kinda debating that one (sometimes I still like the pair), but that would be my “sound-based” argument against.

The other real argument against it is that you hate the name. I think that if one partner really doesn’t like the name, then that’s that. If he doesn’t want to move it to middle name status, then fine (though [name]Everett[/name] [name]George[/name] is fab!). But maybe it’s time to move away from gently refusing and saying firmly–and with great respect to its previous bearer–that you just don’t like the name; that you considered it for a while, but it isn’t growing on you; that you don’t like how it sounds with [name]Cora[/name]; and that maybe it’s time to work constructively toward a name or two that you both agree on… Like one of of the pp’s great suggestions or one of these, haha? They might be a touch more modern than you want, but I think they still have an strong, old-fashioned sound…

[name]Rhett[/name] (subtly honors [name]Everett[/name])
[name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Evan[/name]
[name]Thatcher[/name]
[name]Lewis[/name] or [name]Louis[/name]
[name]Wade[/name]
[name]Amos[/name]
[name]Tatum[/name] or [name]Tate[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Gray[/name]/[name]Grey[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name] (I know you don’t love NNs, but [name]Cora[/name] and [name]Gabe[/name] have a nice, old-fashioned ring)
[name]Alden[/name]
[name]David[/name] or [name]Davis[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name]
[name]Penn[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]

Or maybe he’ll still like the sound of [name]Jude[/name] [name]Everett[/name]!

Thanks for such encouraging responses! I’ve felt so guilty about this issue and often come close to conceding to [name]George[/name], but then I get this image that I’ll spend the rest of my life cringing every time I say my kid’s name (especially in combo with [name]Cora[/name])! I really did love my huband’s grandfather, but his name just doesn’t seem to suit our family. Maybe it’s just me, but I also think it’s odd to combine my husband’s maternal grandfather’s first name with the paternal surname. It makes it seem like [name]George[/name] was part of the Mc_____ family in my mind.

ellenelle - It’s like they want to go together because of that common “OR” sound, but the styles and syllables/emphasis just clash. I’ve been saying the two names together, outloud, and my mouth just doesn’t feel right. So weird, right? It’s also becoming clear to me that I’ve created quite the list of excuses against [name]George[/name]…

So, looks like I’ll work towards canning everything and starting fresh! Here’s what I love from suggestions:

[name]Reid[/name]
[name]Miles[/name] - I think I might like [name]Milo[/name], too
[name]Grey[/name] - this will probably fall to middle name possibilities and is one of my absolute faves
[name]Rhett[/name] - thoughts on spelling this without the second t? [name]Rhet[/name]?
[name]Gabe[/name] - I’d just use the short version and I really like this name with [name]Cora[/name], but I think it’s out of use because of a mutual friend. :frowning:
[name]Tate[/name]
[name]Penn[/name] - surprised that I like this! I’ve shyed away fron -n endings b/c of our last name, but this one will get more thought.
[name]Grant[/name]

I’ve also considered:
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]

[name]Jude[/name] [name]Everett[/name] stays on the invisible list in my mind!

I keep gravitating to four letter names (almost as short as humanly possible). I’m [name]Jennifer[/name], and since I married into our 10 letter last name, I find myself using my first initial and (gasp) various [name]Jennifer[/name] nicknames more and more. 5 letters feels like the max!

Seems like we still have a ways to go… thanks for chipping away with me!