Cora vs Coralie vs Coraline

[name]How[/name] do you feel about all three names? Which do you prefer?

What type of girl do you see for each of these names?

I’m so stuck, because I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Cora[/name], but would totally prefer using a longer version of the name - yet I’m not sure how I actually feel about the longer versions (Hubby goes back and forth).

Also, is the nn [name]Cory[/name]/[name]Cori[/name]/etc avoidable? I despise [name]Cori[/name]. When I imagine using it on my little girl, I never use [name]Cori[/name] … but will other people?

Thanks, Berries!

The only [name]Cora[/name] I’ve ever met always went by [name]Cora[/name], never [name]Cori[/name]. I think [name]Cora[/name] is more akin to [name]Ava[/name]/[name]Avi[/name], [name]Eva[/name]/[name]Evie[/name], or [name]Sarah[/name]/[name]Sari[/name] than [name]Madeleine[/name]/[name]Maddie[/name]- possible if you WANT to use it, but certainly not unavoidable.

Personally I just like [name]Cora[/name]. I don’t dislike [name]Coralie[/name] or [name]Coraline[/name], but [name]Cora[/name] is so much prettier and more classic to me. Why fix a name that isn’t broken? [name]Coralie[/name] and [name]Coraline[/name] both come from [name]Cora[/name]/[name]Coral[/name], not the other way around. I say just use [name]Cora[/name], especially if you don’t like the other forms.

I like both [name]Cora[/name] and [name]Coraline[/name].

I’ve tried to like [name]Coralie[/name], but I just can’t warm up to the -lie ending. To me, it makes it too much like all those other names that end in -lee or -ley that are really cutesy and kind of generic.

[name]Cora[/name] seems classic, sweet, yet sophisticated. A little bit Old South. [name]Coraline[/name] is definitely is more whimsical to me. A little more daring and a little more fancy that simple [name]Cora[/name]. I like them both for different reasons. [name]Coraline[/name] is on my girls name list though :slight_smile:

I think [name]Coraline[/name] is a little… [name]Coraline[/name]. Like the movie/book by [name]Neil[/name] Gaiman. I love [name]Coralie[/name]! I don’t know what it is about it, I just think it’s a really nice name. And I agree that [name]Cora[/name] would be better as a nickname. Perhaps [name]Cordelia[/name], which I greatly prefer to all three and it works with [name]Cora[/name] as a nickname!

I much prefer [name]Cora[/name] to either of the longer versions. However, I applaud mary-la’s suggestion of [name]Cordelia[/name] nn [name]Cora[/name].

[name]Cora[/name] is one of my favorites. I like that she’s short, spunky, feels modern, but still has a vintage air. [name]Coralie[/name] and [name]Coraline[/name] feel too frilly to me. If you’re looking for nickname-proof, [name]Cora[/name] is the way to go.

[name]Coralie[/name] is my fave and [name]Coraline[/name] is my hubby’s. That being said I would use [name]Cora[/name] if that’s what you’re going to call her. I’ve never been big on giving a child a name and then calling them something else. [name]Just[/name] my personal opinion.

I love the name [name]Cora[/name]- it’s my daughter’s name. No one calls her [name]Cori[/name], it really hasn’t come up. We sometimes call her [name]Corabelle[/name], although that’s not actually her name, so if you’d like the option of something longer you could give her the name [name]Cora[/name] but sometimes call her something else (kind of a reverse nickname, I guess).

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Coralie[/name], nn [name]Cora[/name]. I feel [name]Cora[/name] is incomplete on its own.

I strongly dislike [name]Coraline[/name] as the movie [name]Coraline[/name] was very dark and not a happy namesake.

I love all 3, and agree that [name]Cordelia[/name] nn [name]Cora[/name] is beautiful too. [name]Cora[/name] is my top pick for our baby right now, but hubby is trying to pull a vto on it. He agrees with PP that it sounds incomplete. That said, I think the best choice for you depends on whether your last name is long or short and if there are siblings that you need to match. I would go with [name]Coralie[/name], [name]Coraline[/name], or [name]Cordelia[/name] but we have a long last name and need a short, spunky first name to match our other daughters.

We are considering the name [name]Cora[/name] as well. I don’t think it’s too short to stand on its own. My concern with [name]Coraline[/name], which I’ve also contemplated, is that it is perpetually going to be mistaken for [name]Caroline[/name].

[name]Coralie[/name] is my top choice if we ever have a baby girl! I just [name]LOVE[/name] it!! :slight_smile: To me it is so pretty, feminine, and happy sounding - with cute short forms, [name]Cora[/name] or [name]Coral[/name]. I also like just the simple [name]Cora[/name], but personally I prefer the longer version of [name]Coralie[/name], with the option of shortening it to [name]Cora[/name]. [name]Coraline[/name] is another beautiful choice! The one drawback of this name is the similarity to [name]Caroline[/name]. When written down, it seems like people would mistake it for a typo. So, [name]Coralie[/name] is the one I would choose, but I don’t think you can go wrong with those three choices! :slight_smile: