CORA vs. EDEN?! Please help us decide!

Wow, this ia tough. I’ve never thought of [name]Eden[/name] in the same category as the [name]Destiny[/name]'s, etc…but it seems it could be.

My DH seems to like [name]Cora[/name] solo vs [name]Coraline[/name] w the nickname as [name]Cora[/name].

Please keep the thoughts coming on [name]Cora[/name] vs [name]Eden[/name]…it helps tremendously!

[name]Hi[/name], definitely [name]Cora[/name]! [name]Cora[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name], [name]Cora[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] or [name]Cora[/name] [name]Lillian[/name] would be nice!

I generally prefer [name]Cora[/name], but [name]Eden[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name] is easier for me to say that [name]Cora[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]. I tend to lose the “E” at the beginning of [name]Elisabeth[/name] if I say it quickly. I think [name]Coraline[/name] fixes the problem, though.

I think [name]Cora[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is more classic and spunky and versatile than [name]Eden[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name].

My first thought was [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Coraline[/name] [name]Amelia[/name].

([name]Hope[/name] your DH decides he likes [name]Cora[/name] as a nn as well as a full name)

My fellow berries have already made all of the points I had better than I could!

I’m sorry to be so blunt I really, really hate [name]Eden[/name]. I completely agree with irisrose that it is the next [name]Destiny[/name], [name]Precious[/name] or [name]Nevaeh[/name]. I think it’s a little too much meaning for a name to the point that it feels white trash to me. I feel bad just typing that, so I’m sorry, but I’m just being honest! This is just my personal opinion of course, so I may not speak for the masses.

I also agree with rollo that I’d like [name]Cora[/name] better as a nn for a longer name. I love the suggestion of [name]Coraline[/name] as a longer. Perhaps you like [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Coretta[/name], [name]Corinna[/name] or [name]Cornelia[/name]? Or maybe [name]Corinne[/name]? I love this one, personally, because I’m a huge [name]Corinne[/name] [name]Bailey[/name] [name]Rae[/name] fan.

There is a lot of debate about whether the nn is enough on its own or you need a longer. [name]Cora[/name] as a name is one that’s better as a standalone, moreso than a name like [name]Ellie[/name] or [name]Sammy[/name]. Still, I find the shorter names to be like a pet’s name where the owner only cares about it being cute and not formal. [name]Cora[/name] does have some formality to it, but I think [name]Coraline[/name] or [name]Corinne[/name] sounds better for things like resumes, having your name read aloud at graduation, etc. Anyway, again also just my own personal opinion, just wanted to elaborate.

I saw on another forum the mn [name]Pearl[/name] for [name]Cora[/name]. [name]Cora[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] I think is very cute together. I do love [name]Elisabeth[/name], too. I’d say a longer middle for [name]Cora[/name], a shorter one if you decide you like a longer alternative.

Others? (sorry for repeats)

[name]Alice[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] (love this, rollo!)
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name] (I don’t know where this came from, I just like it)
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Jillian[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Joy[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Claire[/name] (if you dig alliteration like i do)
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps and again I hope I didn’t offend!

My vote is for [name]Cora[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]…

Best of luck!

I strongly prefer [name]Cora[/name]! It has a certain sophistication and class that sometimes I feel [name]Eden[/name] lacks. [name]Cora[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name] is gorgeous :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] not a fan at all of any of the longer versions of [name]Cora[/name]. [name]Coraline[/name] is ok, but not going to fly with the hubby. It’s [name]Cora[/name] or [name]Eden[/name], which we still love despite the trashy, etc… comments. We have never thought of the name in that light…quite the opposite.

Appreciate the opinions.

[name]Eden[/name] is my daughter’s name and I can tell you I HATE names like [name]Destiny[/name], [name]Neveah[/name], etc. and I don’t see it along those lines at all but I am getting how people can make that link. I personally see it more nature related - more like a [name]Willow[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Magnolia[/name], [name]Grace[/name] etc. type name. I have gotten nothing but positive feedback on the name (until this thread, lol). Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions but sometimes I see trashy as someone who maybe tries a bit too hard to give their children what they deem are upper class names - ie [name]Paige[/name] [name]Alexandria[/name] [name]Lorelei[/name] [name]Smith[/name], etc. if that makes sense. I do think [name]Cora[/name] is adorable and not in that category at all (also I like [name]Paige[/name] but just trying to give an example) so I think it is also a strong choice and even came up on my list at one point (when I was debating whether or not I liked the more traditional [name]Caroline[/name]). Funny enough I was looking through some friends on Facebook last night and see an old acquaintance just happened to have a daughter she named [name]Eden[/name] as well. As a contrast to the white trash vibe, this woman is married to a [name]Doctor[/name] and head of a Women’s League in an upper class area. As for me, I am an therapist, an artist and stay at home mom married to a professional in his field as well… I know that the name doesn’t make someone classy or not, it is the person but just thought it was funny considering the comparisons people were making with the name on here (and I am usually very much in agreement with nameberryites opinions overall). For me I felt proud… “hey, that’s my girls name too” lol when I saw all the comments my old friend received about how beautiful her girls name was (She went with [name]Eden[/name] [name]Marley[/name], a sister to [name]Lily[/name]). Anyways, of course it is always good to get the feedback (and you did ask) but just keep in mind the person makes the name and I can’t see my little [name]Eden[/name] (and [name]Edie[/name] as she sometimes is known) as anyone else. If you go with that name I don’t think you will be sorry. I think it is the perfect combination of sweet and spunky… it is soft but not frilly and it has character. [name]Cora[/name] is also lovely. I just don’t see [name]Eden[/name] as a “[name]Neveah[/name]” like some other people do but obviously I am in the minority on that thus far. Maybe it is because I am not at all ‘religious’ I view it differently. Good luck and don’t second guess yourself - you can drive yourself crazy and as you said, someone will find something wrong with any choice you make. I am sure [name]Eden[/name] or [name]Cora[/name] will love her name.

I probably just take it a little personally since it is my daughters name, lol.

Thank you for your post. A friend of mine also has an [name]Eden[/name] - gets nothing but beautiful feedback on the name. I had never even close put it in the same category as some of the other names mentioned. As you mentioned - good to get the feedback, even though some is surprising and take it to make the best decision for us and for her.

[name]Eden[/name] and [name]Cora[/name] are both lovely in different ways. We’re due soon, so we not only have some time to figure it out but will also know when we see her :). Thanks again for the feedback!

[name]Even[/name] though I voted for [name]Cora[/name] or more correctly [name]Coraline[/name], and even though I wouldn’t use [name]Eden[/name], I think [name]Eden[/name] is a lovely name and don’t think it is in any way connected with the dreaded [name]Neveah[/name].

I am so sick of people on name sites saying names are trashy, how can a name be trashy? Surely it is the person who has the name that makes it or breaks it?

best wishes and just go with your heart,

rollo :slight_smile:

[name]Eden[/name] all the way! Such a beautiful name. :smiley:

I too, like onelove, see [name]Eden[/name] as more of an earthy name (ie. [name]Willow[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Sage[/name], and others)! I’ve never once thought of it as being in a group with [name]Destiny[/name], [name]Precious[/name], or the other terrible and over-used one… [name]Just[/name] my opinion, but it’s fascinating to see how names can sound and mean different things to different people.

I agree with PP - it is extremely interesting to see the different ways in which people perceive names.

If you can stand one more opinion, I don’t see [name]Eden[/name] as a “trashy” name at all. It can be looked at from a religious angle, but doesn’t have to be.

[name]Cora[/name] - I’m trying to like it more (still sounds old-fashioned to me). I think it stands fine on its own, does not need to be a nickname. I have a relative (in her 80s) who was named [name]Cora[/name] [name]Alice[/name], but the two a sounds were sort of awkward, so people started calling her Coralice. Some people called her [name]Cora[/name]. Her husband called her [name]Cory[/name] but she didn’t like it much.

Let us know which one you choose!

Wow, guys. I guess I’ll just stop posting. I thought this was about opinions.

I’m another vote for [name]Eden[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]! I’m a sucker for beautifully done alliteration, and I’ve always loved [name]Eden[/name]. To me it does have more of that nature vibe a la [name]Lily[/name] or even [name]Magnolia[/name]; a beautiful garden rather than a spiritual paradise. My first introduction to it was actually as an old southern name, so it certainly doesn’t have that image of [name]Destiny[/name] or [name]Trinity[/name] to me.

[name]Cora[/name] is lovely too, but it doesn’t grab me in the same way. My tongue trips up a little bit on [name]Cora[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], with the soft vowels in the middle.

Either way, good luck. They’re both really pretty names, and I’m sure your daughter will inhabit either one perfectly.

Really appreciate the feedback-thanks for taking the time.

I don’t know how much this will help, but my name is [name]Eden[/name] and one of my best friends name is [name]Coral[/name], and she goes by [name]Cora[/name]. Whenever we introduce ourselves to people, [name]Cora[/name] always gets weird looks, while I get “That’s so pretty!”, “Oh how beautiful”,etc. I’ve never seen a problem with my name(or hers for that matter). There’s virtually no way to pick on it. [name]Cora[/name] always got called Fishy, but that’s only because her first name is [name]Coral[/name]. I’ve always liked her name, and I think the middle names you’ve chosen are beautiful! [name]Hope[/name] that helps!