Cordelia Bartholemew (UPDATED)

Too many syllables? Or does it work?

Middle name would have 1 syllable.

Unfortunate sounding last name I know…but it is what it is!

UPDATED:

Seems the majority is anti-[name]Cordelia[/name], but I’ll probably still keep it on my list for now. [name]Just[/name] not at the top spot. Here are my other top picks, I’d love feedback on any of these. AND…suggestions. What I’d love is a 2-syllable name that does NOT end in y or ie (personal preference).

[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Wren[/name] (as a mn)
[name]Amabel[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Lilah[/name]
[name]Odette[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] (love this but am worried about popularity + sex & the city ties. [name]Do[/name] people think of Sex & the City when they hear “[name]Charlotte[/name]?”)

No opinions on this? :?

My honest opinion: Its a mouthful to say, very tonque twisty. Its not a name you can repeat fast over and over because the flow is off with too much going on (many baby name authors say to use this method for testing out a name) Sorry I couldnt give a more positive review. :frowning:

I have to agree that [name]Cordelia[/name] Bartholemew is a bit of a mouthful to say outloud. Perhaps you would consider [name]Cordelia[/name] as a middle name, with a shorter first name to balance things out a little. For example, [name]Alice[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name] Bartholemew, [name]Jane[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name] Bartholemew, or something to that extent.

I love [name]Cordelia[/name], but I agree that it’s a bit of a mouth full with your last name. [name]Delia[/name] Bartholemew perhaps?

It’s a lot of name… not only is it a mouthful out loud, but both names are kind of over the top and fanciful (I love [name]Cordelia[/name], but I think it works best with a simpler, more mainstream last name, like [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Jones[/name] or something). It would make a great middle name, though. I love the suggestions of [name]Alice[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name] and [name]Jane[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name].

I don’t see a problem with it. A last name is what it is as you said. Most of the time you don’t call someone by their full name or have to answer to it. So, when she goes to school, the teacher might have a hard time saying it quickly… not a biggie to me!

[name]Love[/name] the name [name]Cordelia[/name]!

I have to disagree, a child who will one day be a young adult [name]WILL[/name] get called by their full name ALOT in life. It definitely should be a huge consideration. I recommend trying to find a first name, with no more than one or two syllables.

Ok, so the full name is probably used more than I originally said-- but I still don’t find [name]Cordelia[/name] Bartholemew all that hard to say.

I mean if I compare [name]Cordelia[/name] Bartholemew and [name]Kristen[/name] Bartholemew … I feel like they are both equal. It’s the last name that is hard to say (for me) not the combo. Or as another poster suggested, [name]Delia[/name]? I feel like adding the [name]Cor[/name] in front really doesn’t hurt anything.

Name flow and ease of pronunciation and spelling are definitely huge considerations when naming a child. However, names come in all shapes and sizes. Some people have really long, multi-syllable names and some people have short ones.

Shoot. This is basically what I expected. I’m sad because I love the name [name]Cordelia[/name], but I agree it’s a mouthful. :cry:

I’m with Crunchy. [name]Cordelia[/name] Bartholemew is not that hard to say, it’s not exactly easy to say but who cares? Why would anyone ever need to say her full name over and over again in real life? I mean I’m rarely called by my full name, and no one ever says it more than one time in a row, you know what I mean? To me it’s the Bartholemew part that’s difficult (but not even difficult, just long) to say, and you can’t change that! And to be honest I like Bartholemew as a last name! It’s different and fun! I think a really feminine and pretty name like [name]Cordelia[/name] goes perfectly with it. I think if that were my last name I would definitely want to play it up with a first name like [name]Cordelia[/name]. As much as I do love simple names like [name]Jane[/name], [name]Jane[/name] Bartholemew would be a waste of such an interesting last name! [name]Cordelia[/name] Bartholemew sounds like the heroine of a novel, which, from where I’m standing, is always a good thing!

updated with other choices (see original post)

Let me just start by saying that [name]Cordelia[/name] is a great name - I didn’t read through the rest of the comments to see why it wasn’t favored, but I can see that [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name] is a bit of a long name. Anyway, I really did want to address the [name]Charlotte[/name] concerns! No, I don’t think of Sex and the City at all! I think of [name]Charlotte[/name]'s [name]Web[/name] (as an aside, [name]Fern[/name] would be a cute middle name to add to your list!), [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Bronte[/name], and [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Lucas[/name] in ‘Pride and Prejudice.’ It’s one of my favorite names! For me, loving a name trumps popularity, especially when [name]Charlotte[/name] is such a sweet classic. Anyway…

When I first saw your little list, I thought that [name]Lilah[/name] [name]Wren[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name] would be beautiful - it’s whimsical and romantic, feminine and cheerful, and it just feels very natural to me. My other favorites for a first name with [name]Bartholomew[/name] are [name]Camille[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Adele[/name], and [name]Charlotte[/name]. I love [name]Beatrix[/name], and [name]Amabel[/name] is really fun, but [name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name] is a little much, and [name]Amabel[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name] doesn’t flow for me - in fact, I don’t particularly care for anything ending in -bel with [name]Bartholomew[/name]. As for [name]Madeline[/name], if you’re worried about popularity with [name]Charlotte[/name], you should really be worried about it with [name]Madeline[/name]! So, maybe you’d like [name]Lilah[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Camille[/name] [name]Odette[/name], or [name]Camille[/name] [name]Wren[/name]? Here are more ideas:

[name]Lilah[/name] [name]Fern[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]
[name]Lilah[/name] [name]Sage[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]
[name]Lilah[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Sage[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Fern[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]

[name]Camille[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Fern[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]

[name]Adele[/name] [name]Sage[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]
[name]Adele[/name] [name]June[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]
[name]Adele[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]

[name]Elsa[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name] [name]Lark[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]

As for first names, you might also like [name]Clara[/name], [name]Dinah[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Gwyneth[/name], [name]Helen[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Laurel[/name], [name]Simone[/name], or [name]Willa[/name]. Some of my favorite combos for those names are [name]Clara[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name], [name]Dinah[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name], [name]Flora[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name], [name]Frances[/name] [name]Lark[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name], [name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Sage[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name], [name]Helen[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name], [name]Ivy[/name] [name]June[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name], [name]Laurel[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name], [name]Simone[/name] [name]Lark[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name], or [name]Willa[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]. Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I agree that [name]Lilah[/name] [name]Wren[/name] is very pretty.

Wow, thank you so much [name]Lemon[/name]!

Gosh, I love the way you described [name]Lilah[/name] [name]Wren[/name]…

[name]Clara[/name] is another favorite name, but unfortunately there’s a personal reason we can’t use that name!

[name]Dinah[/name] and [name]Laurel[/name] are interesting choices that I don’t see pop up too much around here. [name]Will[/name] have to give them some thought!

Thanks again!

@ollieb

I’m glad you liked - loved? - the way I described [name]Lilah[/name] [name]Wren[/name]. I meant it all! I’m kind of loving that name right now, okay? I might have to steal it…

Anyway, I just realized that I forgot a name - [name]Alice[/name]! [name]Alice[/name] is so whimsical and playful and fun, but she’s also serious, sophisticated, and strong. I just wanted to tell you that I got [name]Dinah[/name] from ‘[name]Alice[/name] in Wonderland,’ too. [name]Dinah[/name] is [name]Alice[/name]'s cat! And, [name]Laurel[/name]? [name]Laurel[/name]'s a spunky one that nobody seems to use very often. As a [name]Lauren[/name], I kind of wish my name was [name]Laurel[/name] often.

Hopefully [name]Lilah[/name] is not the next [name]Isabella[/name] / [name]Sophia[/name] / Next Trendy Thing.

It’s jumped 300 places from 2008 to 2009. [name]Do[/name] you think it’s going to be everywhere? I’m fine with a semi-popular name, just would prefer to not break the top 100.

Oh and I dig [name]Alice[/name] too, but already know someone with that name, so probably wouldn’t use it.

@ollieb

Hm. It’s a tough call, really. So, [name]Lilah[/name]'s #366 as of the latest rankings, 2009. [name]Lilah[/name] does have a similarity to the ever-popular [name]Lily[/name], and [name]Leila[/name] ([name]Layla[/name]) is climbing the charts, but I honestly don’t think you’ll meet a [name]Lilah[/name] on every street corner. Especially with that H on the end, which makes the name look a bit like a nickname (for [name]Delilah[/name]), I just don’t see it climbing too, too far. I wouldn’t be surprised if it made a comfortable home in the 200s, though. I think [name]Lily[/name] will continue to win out for a bit, though, okay? And, you’ve also got [name]Isla[/name], which rhymes with [name]Lilah[/name] but will likely get more popular as time goes on - it’s a blend of [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Emma[/name], and [name]Lily[/name]!

If she were my daughter, I might be tempted to call her [name]Lilah[/name] [name]Wren[/name], too, just because the combination has such a good vibe. She could be called [name]Wren[/name] for a nickname, too! Sorry, I feel like I’m forcing this on you. I’ll stop now!

Message no longer posted.

I think you have some wonderful options here :slight_smile: .