Cordelia: too different from siblings?

Hi Berries,

I’m not pregnant (nor planning to be any time soon), but I can’t help but muse on the girl name I haven’t been able to use. I don’t know if there will be a third go, but [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] remains my absolute #1.

Problem: I don’t feel that it works at all with our boys names. We have a [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Abel[/name_m] and a [name_u]Beckett[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u], and I feel like [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Cora[/name_f] or [name_u]Cory[/name_u]) has a totally different vibe.

Thoughts?

It’s not the ideal match in terms of style, but that’s not really an issue in the long run. They won’t be introduced together for the rest for their lives. Plus, your chosen nicknames do go really, really well with your sons sweet names :blush:

7 Likes

Tbh, I do think [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] has a very different vibe from [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] and [name_u]Beckett[/name_u]. BUT, if [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is the name you love, I think it would be sad for you not to use it. Would you consider it as a middle name? Or you could forget about matching and just use [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] anyway. I agree with what @futuremama said about [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and [name_u]Cory[/name_u] sounding great with your boys’ names. And she’s right that they won’t always be introduced together, so it might not matter as much.

Ultimately, I think it’s important to use the name you love most. [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is gorgeous! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks ladies!

While deep down I was hoping someone would tell me that I’m wrong and they do work together, I know the truth of it. They’re totally different vibes. I appreciate it being pointed out that the nickname flows well - which I didn’t particularly consider after getting stuck on the full monty.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] fits with your boys’ names just fine!

2 Likes

Honestly I think they work okay! They’re not super stylistically similar but they’re not jarringly different either. If [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is your favorite I think it works just fine!

2 Likes

I really don’t think there’s anything wrong with these names being stylistically different. They don’t sound awkward together, and as others have said, you nicknames for [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] sound really cute with your boys’ names! If you love [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], go for it. Also, try saying out loud how you might introduce them together: “These are my children, [name_m]Bruce[/name_m], [name_u]Beckett[/name_u] and [name_f]Cora[/name_f].”

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t really mind! But this might just be because I love [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] so much. I feel like [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and [name_u]Beckett[/name_u] work well together, [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] is where it might get a bit off for me. But overall no issues here :smiley:

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is beautiful. And actually, I think that it does go fairly well w/Bruce & [name_u]Beckett[/name_u]. [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] & [name_u]Beckett[/name_u] are slightly cowboy-y, & [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] I can picture on a sweet little southern belle. Especially the nn [name_f]Cora[/name_f].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m with everyone above! They’re a little different in styles but not enough to jar or to make [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] a no, and the nicknames work perfectly

1 Like

I don’t think its too different.

1 Like

Cordelia is a beautiful name, if you love it - just go with it anyway! I don’t think the vibes differ enough for it to be an issue. I totally agree with everyone else and the nicknames definitely make it work. Perhaps you could look at stylistically similar names to your boys for the middle spot, if this would make you happier! Also because it would be your first girl, I think it works to have a naming technique for your sons and then a different naming technique for the daughter(s)

2 Likes

I think that [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] goes well with brothers [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] and [name_u]Beckett[/name_u]. They are definitely vintage revival and so refreshing together. I also feel that southern charm !
I’m a firm believer if you love it use it !

1 Like

I think it’s very rare for someone to have the same stylist taste in boy and girl names, so I would not be surprised at all to hear of [name_m]Bruce[/name_m], [name_u]Beckett[/name_u], and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] as a sibset :slight_smile: in fact, I even find [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] and [name_u]Beckett[/name_u] to be slightly different in style already, so the uniqueness of each name fits perfectly in my opinion.

1 Like

100% this. If you really love a name and can’t ever see another working then I think that’s more important than it being a stylistic match.

3 Likes

Cordelia sounds nice with [name_m]Bruce[/name_m], [name_m]Abel[/name_m] and [name_u]James[/name_u]! I think it would fit perfectly as a middle name.

1 Like

Not at all!! Adding [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] makes me feel like you’re in a [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] novel. I know someone who recently named their DD [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and I love the sound of it. [name_u]Trust[/name_u] your gut!