Cornelia or Constance?

Which name do you prefer: [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Constance[/name_f]? Why did you chose one name over the other? What do you like and dislike about them? Are they useable (in America)?

3 Likes

[name_f]Constance[/name_f]

I definitely think theyā€™re both usualble in the US! And itā€™s hard to pick a favorite, since theyā€™re both lovely. But [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] slightly edges out as my favorite, I think.

I like the typically feminine ending of -ia that gets balanced out by the grounding nature of the other sounds in the name. Itā€™s also, altogether, a spunky sounding name, at least to my ear. Feminine, but not frilly. And had a vintage feel.

I also think the nn. [name_f]Neli[/name_f] (pronounced NEE-lee) is so cute,

I really like both but [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] has the edge for me. Itā€™s strong, distinct and cool! [name_f]Constance[/name_f] is charming and solid

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]! Both are definitely usable in the US! :relaxed:

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] ~

I love [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] ! One of my favourite names is [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] , so I chose [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] because there is only a letter that separates them

I love the [name_u]Nick[/name_u] name [name_f]Delia[/name_f] !!

Both are lovely! They are both definitely usable however I canā€™t comment on their usability in the states as Iā€™m in the UK. Still I think they would work.

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is elegant, intriguing and could be a great name for a child born in the Jewish high holidays as a result of the meaning ā€˜hornā€™. She also has an interesting history. I prefer [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] I actually love [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f].

[name_f]Constance[/name_f] is gorgeous vintage name sheā€™s elegant and definitely ready for a revival and has the adorable nickname [name_u]Connie[/name_u]. Honestly [name_u]Connie[/name_u] is so sweet.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_f]Constance[/name_f] but both are lovely.

1 Like

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f], for me :blush:

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] all the way! I just prefer the sound and nickname potential. Both names are usable in my opinion.

As they are, I prefer [name_f]Constance[/name_f]. The ā€œcornā€ syllable stands out too much for me in [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] (I like [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] better). BUT, there are more nickname possibilities, I think, from [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f], which may give it the edge. Any [name_f]Cora[/name_f] or [name_f]Nell[/name_f] variant can easily be used with this, along with [name_f]Lia[/name_f] from the end of it, or the [name_u]Connie[/name_u] you can get from [name_f]Constance[/name_f].

I think both are usable but I do prefer [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] to either [name_f]Constance[/name_f] or [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f].

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is by far my favorite. The full name is lovely, and thereā€™s a variety of nickname options as well (Cora, [name_u]Cory[/name_u], [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], [name_f]Lia[/name_f], probably others). I think that helps make it very usable for any age.

[name_f]Constance[/name_f] feels too old lady to me. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if it eventually comes back into style, but I donā€™t think itā€™s there yet.

[name_f]Constance[/name_f] for sure! [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name. :slight_smile:
I canā€™t quite get past the ā€œcornā€ sound of [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] (and I also have a vague [name_m]Babar[/name_m] association from childhood books).
Have you also considered [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]? (I do like [name_f]Constance[/name_f] even better, thoughā€¦)

Of the two, [name_f]Constance[/name_f]. I donā€™t like it, but I dislike it less than the ā€˜Cornā€™ sound in [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]. If it was [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], that would be my pick by miles. Amazing the difference one letter can make.

Oh, thatā€™s such a tough choice because I really love them both! Iā€™m leaning towards Cornelia for her beautiful flow and elegant vibe. But I love the meaning of Constance ā€“ and the sound is also so grounded, yet gentle.

100% yes.

i prefer cornelia, mostly because it can be shortened to ā€œnellā€. constance feels quite dated to me, but i think they are both useable in america.

I like Constance better! Such an underrated name! It feels very stableā€“cute for a little one, and beautiful and classic for an adult. Connie is also such a cute name.

Cornelia is a bit too unusual for my liking, and I canā€™t get over it starting with ā€œcorn.ā€