Could I get away with it?

Or is it too much of a stretch? [name]Do[/name] you think a bit named [name]Arthur[/name] could get away with being nicknamed [name]Teddy[/name]? I know it’s not really in the name at all, but if you look at the meaning it kind I makes sense. Acceptable or no? I really dislike [name]Art[/name] and [name]Artie[/name] is all.

I was originally going to say no, that I thought that it was too much of a stretch, but with the meaning of [name]Arthur[/name], I say definitely! If Susannahs can have the nn [name]Lily[/name] and Margarets can have the nn [name]Pearl[/name], why not [name]Teddy[/name] for [name]Arthur[/name]? It’s too cute.

Technically, you can nickname your kid whatever you want. Not all nicknames have to be directly related to one’s first name.

I was going to make the same point.

I know what the meaning is, but it’s too much of a stretch. [name]Arthur[/name] [name]Theodore[/name](or some variation of [name]Theodore[/name], there’s plenty to choose from!) though would make it way less of a stretch. Personally I love [name]Teddy[/name]. We (meaning I because my husband couldn’t care less) were having the grand debate over [name]Theodore[/name] vs [name]Gabriel[/name] vs [name]Ambrose[/name] for the boy name, and ultimately I love the nickname [name]Teddy[/name] so much that I can’t imagine not using it.

[name]Edward[/name] is another option to get [name]Teddy[/name]. Well, that’s what they tell me anyway. I don’t see it personally.

^ I don’t care so much about getting to the nn [name]Teddy[/name], I just want a different nickname for [name]Arthur[/name]. [name]Archie[/name] is still a possibility for me, I just think [name]Teddy[/name] is adorable for [name]Arthur[/name].

It would definitely be a head scratcher. Lol. But I say go for it! I like [name]Sophia[/name] with the nickname [name]Zoe[/name]. :slight_smile:

A nickname can be anything you want it to be.

I think its a bit of a stretch but certainly doable. If anyone ever questioned it, you could say he was as cuddly has a teddybear when he was a newborn :slight_smile:

I think it’s okay. People call their kids things like [name]Honey[/name] and [name]Precious[/name] and whatnot all the time, so I would just assume [name]Teddy[/name] was just an endearing nickname, but with the meaning of [name]Arthur[/name], I think it’s great!

Wow. I am completely in love with your idea! I always loved [name]Teddy[/name] but am not a [name]Theodore[/name] or [name]Edward[/name] fan. And definitely not a [name]Ted[/name] fan. Such a cute idea!

Thanks everyone. Feeling pretty good about the idea :slight_smile:

I know this is an old post, but I love this idea! What is anyone else’s thought on the subject? Is [name]Teddy[/name] an acceptable nn for [name]Arthur[/name]?

I think it’s a cute idea. I also thought [name]Little[/name] Cub or just Cub would make a cute nn too.

If I haven’t chimed in already, this is also on our idea list so I like it of course and am happy other people think it works!

I don’t understand how [name]Teddy[/name] is a nickname for [name]Arthur[/name], at all. They don’t share a single sound, and only one letter.

Can anyone please explain (genuinely confused)?

It’s the meaning. [name]Arthur[/name] means bear.

Nicknames aren’t always related to the sound of a name. Sometimes its related to the meaning, sometimes its something totally else.

I get that, but it has to be related somehow. Otherwise it’s not ‘a nickname for _’, it’s just a different name altogether. I’m not trying to be pedantic, but I don’t think [name]Bee[/name] is ‘a nickname for [name]Melissa[/name]’, either.

Thanks, countrylizb.

I have given all sorts of odd nicknames to various children I have cared for over the years! I used to nanny for an infant named [name]Rachael[/name], and I called her ‘Geegers’ (pr.: Ghee - Ghers (hard ‘g’ sound on both ‘G’s’). No one else called her this but me. It was just one of those organic nicknames that sprung up without warning one day & stuck with me for her!
I also was a nanny to a toddler named [name]Rebecca[/name] who went almost strictly by [name]Becca[/name], and I called her Beaker (my best friends name = [name]Rebecca[/name], and her older sister & I have called her Beaker for as long as I can remember really knowing her!). So that one had a little root in it, but most people didn’t get the connection unless I explained it. [name]Becca[/name] loved when I called her Beaker–she let me know how much one particular day, too, lol! :slight_smile:
Anyway, bottom line is that I agree with the pp’s who said you can give your child any nickname you want. It may just come to you naturally. I actually like the nn ‘[name]Bear[/name]’ for [name]Arthur[/name], too–as in baby bear. :wink: