Could it be true?

I’ve been looking more in-depth at state SSA statistics in my area, and I’m particularly interested in unisex names, since I love them so much but most people are scared off by them… I really wouldn’t want my son to be tortured because of his unisex name, but I really love the name and would like to be able to use it if I still love it that much when I actually do adopt.

At the moment, [name]Bailey[/name]'s the unisex name I’m most concerned about. I love [name]Avery[/name], too, but it has family significance, and literary significance for me, and I believe it’s in the top 300 for boys, so I’m not terribly concerned about that. However, [name]Bailey[/name] ranks nationally at 995 for boys and at 78 for girls, which is a huge difference, imo.

I looked at the statistics today, though, and in my state, [name]Bailey[/name] ranks at number 101 for girls, with 107 births. For boys, it ranks at number 647 with 11 births. 107 and 11 is still a fairly large difference, but it’s a much smaller difference, and [name]Bailey[/name]'s ranking jumps over 300 spots in my state. I did a bit of math, and it averages that less than 2 Baileys (girls) would be born in each county in my state, so there would be approximately one girl [name]Bailey[/name] for every 9-10 school districts in my county alone. There still are only 11 Baileys born in my state in the past year, but with this info, if you really loved [name]Bailey[/name] (like, top 3 material), and you knew this information, would [name]Bailey[/name] become more of a realistic consideration for you?

[name]Bailey[/name] hasn’t ever really not been an option for me–I’ve just been watching the statistics to see what happens nationally. But I got a bit excited about this, haha, and I’m curious if this will change anything. Would the odds be good enough for you to use a unisex name if these were the statistics for it in your area?

I’m not sure if this will sway any opinions, but the MNs I have picked out for [name]Bailey[/name] are all quite masculine ([name]Bailey[/name] [name]Elias[/name] [name]Charles[/name]) and have strong family ties–if [name]Bailey[/name] was a problem, he could have the options of going by [name]Lee[/name]/[name]Leo[/name], [name]Eli[/name], [name]Elias[/name], [name]Charles[/name], [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Beck[/name], etc.

Thanks, ladies!

I say let’s get the boys names back to the boys. I think [name]Bailey[/name] is very usable for a boy (actually it’s all boy to me). I also think that children will be teased for anything but their names nowadays-kids going to school are used to hearing all sorts of names, not like many years ago. Not saying you could name a boy [name]Tiffany[/name] but [name]Bailey[/name] is definitely legit for a boy. I do feel a “stronger” mn should be used when going with a “softer” first name.

I would agree with the pp. Claim the boy name! and yes those statistics would make me feel much better about using the name.

I wouldn’t be concerned about it. It’s still in the top 1000 - so it’s still in use for boys. It sounds masculine on a boy, and sort of tomboyish-feminine on a girl. Naming in general is more diverse these days; a male [name]Bailey[/name] would probably only meet two or three female Baileys at most and possibly one male [name]Bailey[/name] in his whole life, judging by the statistics. He’s far more likely to meet Isabellas, Olivias, Avas, Madisons, Makaylas, and so on.

While the only [name]Bailey[/name] I know is a girl, it is still unisex to me. I agree with jersey_gray, though - a clearly masculine middle name would benefit a male [name]Bailey[/name] as a feminine middle name would benefit a female [name]Bailey[/name].

I disagree with the people saying lets reclaim the boys name, like you said it’s UNISEX. So although it might be more for girls, I can still see it working perfectly well on a boy! My mom almost named my brother [name]Bailey[/name], but went with [name]Jake[/name] instead because my dad didn’t like it. I do think [name]Avery[/name] sounds veryyyyyyy feminine though, but if you like it go for it!

Thanks, ladies!

I agree that I am much more comfortable with these statistics. I’m still a few years from adopting, though, so I suppose we’ll see what happens. I do like these odds a lot more, though. :slight_smile: I think, either way, though, it’ll take a miracle for my family to accept [name]Bailey[/name] on a boy, haha.

You might also want to look into trendy spellings for [name]Bailey[/name] as well. I know of a girl named [name]Bayleigh[/name] and know 2 named [name]Baylee[/name] which is ranked at 366 I believe. So even though there are not that many girls in your state with the [name]Bailey[/name] spelling there could be some more with all different kinds of spellings. Personally I think that [name]Bailey[/name] is too tied to the liquor to use for either gender! I don’t think these odds would change anything for me because even though there were only 1 born for one particular year, this does not account for all of the Baileys in your entire state at any age. I would not want my son to grow up meeting a dozen female Baileys and being the only male [name]Bailey[/name] he knew of. I know that you are a big fan of unisex names on boys but to me it seems like it takes away from their masculinity… I hope that does not sound harsh because I don’t mean to offend you in any way. You also need to consider people like teachers, doctors and nurses, and any one else who well see the name before the child. They will most likely be prepared for a girl when they see the name [name]Bailey[/name]. I think it would get VERY old always being mistaken for boy. Again I hope I do not offend you but I think the lot of names you are calling unisex are much higher on the girls list to the point that I would no longer consider them unisex.

I [name]LOVE[/name] unisex names so I say go for it. I do agree with parkerbelle though that [name]Bailey[/name] liquor association is the first thing that I think of, but I come for a big Irish family so that can always be found at any of my brothers homes! I guess that could make it more masculine though…

It feels more masculine to me, so I say use it. It’s not my personal style, but if you love it, don’t let statistics hold you back.

I’m a teacher, and we’re used to seeing all sorts of names. I don’t think this would be an issue.

lol, you’re fine. I do realize it’s risky using it but for every year that there are that many girls with the name [name]Bailey[/name], there are the same (if not more from years past) number of boys as this year given the name [name]Bailey[/name], so it’s not like out of the blue there is one [name]Bailey[/name], and he’s my son. [name]Just[/name] a few years ago, girls were being teased for having a boys’ name. Besides, I think it’s a bit interesting that you don’t want to use unisex names for boys and such, but I have heard people consider [name]Jaxon[/name], [name]Lane[/name], [name]Channing[/name], [name]Logan[/name], and [name]Blake[/name] (some more than others) on girls, and that’s about half your boys’ list. :slight_smile: Of course, they’re not to the extent of [name]Bailey[/name], but they could be, one day, you know. :slight_smile:

I think if we give up every boys name that has “gone to the girls,” we’ll have to start calling our sons “Hey you!”

I much prefer [name]Bailey[/name] for a boy. In fact, I quite like it as a boy’s name, and quite dislike it for a girl. If you’re willing to “do the math”, then you clearly love it. Claim it! It’s not “girly”. Too many names are being taken over to the girls’ side [name]IMO[/name]!

Its not the unisex part that bothers me! I am a female [name]Parker[/name] so I like the idea. My problem is when the female popularity goes higher then the male popularity. That is when the name becomes off limits for boys in my mind. For a name like [name]Logan[/name], it is higher on the boys so to me it is unisex without being emasculating. That is just me though.

I wouldn’t name a boy [name]Bailey[/name] myself, but I think it sounds way more masculine than [name]Avery[/name]. [name]Avery[/name] has a very feminine sound, to me at least. I would be shocked to hear it on a boy. I agree with others to give a very masculine middle name to balance it out.

@mommy2five - haha, well, my family is pretty much a no-alcohol family, so my family wouldn’t see a huge connection, and neither would most of the people in my church, which would pretty much be my children’s world until they start school (and pretty much while they’re in school, too). So I don’t foresee it being a huge issue. I seem to be attracted to alcoholic names in general, lol ([name]Jameson[/name], [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Daniel[/name]… I even like [name]Jack[/name] [name]Daniel[/name] as a combo, lol, although I would never ever use it). Besides, [name]Bailey[/name] has had enough exposure that I don’t think it’ll be too much of a headache. :slight_smile:

@frustratedauthor - YES! I totally agree, haha. I’m not going to give up my boys’ names just because other people start to think of them as girls’ names. If I gave up every single name I’ve heard considered or used on a girl, I would have four names left on my nearly top 20 list: [name]Henry[/name], [name]Boone[/name], [name]Lincoln[/name], and [name]Caleb[/name]. [name]Even[/name] then, I’ve been told that those are slightly effeminate. And it’s not like the majority of my names are super unisex–we’re talking [name]Everett[/name], [name]Asher[/name], [name]Spencer[/name], [name]Beckett[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Grayson[/name], here…

[name]Do[/name] you really think it takes away from a boy’s masculinity? [name]How[/name] can a name do that, unless it’s about perception in which case it’s your perception, not necessarily the boy’s or anyone else’s. And yes, it could be true that on paper a doctor or nurse or teacher might expect to meet a girl [name]Bailey[/name], but then they don’t and unless they make a big deal about it the boy wouldn’t even necessarily have to know would he.

To answer your question [name]Ash[/name], yes this would make a difference to me and this is insightful on your part. In fact it’s not just an issue in terms of your State, but I think about it in terms of numbers as a whole. Rankings are only part of the story, once you are getting down to 1 child in 400 or 500 with a given name then you have to wonder what chances are you will meet multiple children with that name in which case what’s the big deal anyway. That said, you still might come across adults who will “know better” and say, oh that’s a girl’s name… in my opinion this is where the other children will pick up their cues.

I am a firm believer that your name is part of who you are and can define your personality to some extent. I know a lot of people who seem to fit their names in every way, not everyone but still a great deal. I personally do not see a boy named [name]Bailey[/name] being very masculine but that is just an opinion that I wanted to offer! I don’t think I will ever meet enough male Baileys to get an idea. Being a 26 year old female [name]Parker[/name] who was given a “boys” name well before the trend got mistaken for a boy on paper all the time. Most people did not make a big deal of it but some did and those memories stick with you. I had a teacher who had set her students up in boy/girl order and gave boys blue name tags and girls pink name tags. I got to school and had a blue name tag and that teacher was not too happy that she had to redo her entire seating chart because I turned out to be a girl. Now that was her fault not mine, but that was the first time I ever felt that I had a “boys” name. At that moment I felt that I had lost my girlishness, so that is why I say that the name could take away some of his masculinity. I do not wish that situation on any child!! Since then I have grown to love my and I could never imagine being anything other than [name]Parker[/name]. I am a firm believer of if you love a name then go for it. I just wanted to offer some first hand experience on being a girl with a boys name before it was acceptable because I can relate a little to the situation.

I think that it would probably make things easier for him throughout school as long as you stayed in that local area. I think he might run into more problems in other states but it would all depend on the amount of traveling you do. Since [name]Dillon[/name] is in the army it will never really matter what popularity is like in a particular state since we will never be there for that long. As long as you don’t have anything like that then I would say it does make a slight difference. I am a teacher as well and I usually don’t have a problem with genders, but every once in a while there is a really unique/kre8tive name that will really get me but not too bad. I can understand though in a situation like the one [name]Parker[/name] had as to why it would scare someone off though. @parker I am so sorry that happened to you, I would never do that to a student :frowning: [name]Just[/name] a side note to, [name]Ash[/name] has some really tried to use [name]Jaxon[/name] on a girl?? That just makes me shudder, all the others I can see, but [name]Jaxon[/name], really?

My nephews name is [name]Bailey[/name]! I can’t even picture it on a girl anymore. I’ve also only ever met one girl [name]Bailey[/name] and about 3 or 4 boy [name]Bailey[/name]'s. I live in Australia, though, so it might be different for me. I still think [name]Bailey[/name] is a better boys name than girl.