Could someone please explain the sudden popularity of Wren to me?

Oh my dear, dear Berries. I love nature names, but could someone take a moment and tell me why [name]Wren[/name] has suddenly become so popular?

I understand [name]Lark[/name], [name]Hawk[/name], and even [name]Starling[/name], but I just don’t get [name]Wren[/name]. Is it because it’s one syllable so is a convenient bridge name and has a funky hipsteresque spelling?

[name]Wren[/name] lovers, come one and all and educate me!

Hmm…well I’m not sure I could explain its sudden popularity, but I like the name because it is simple, feminine without sounding frilly, and easy to spell and pronounce. :slight_smile:

I don’t think [name]Wren[/name] is really a new name. It was the sister on even Stevens which was on Disney channel when i was a kid. I think it is much cuter then [name]Lark[/name], [name]Hawk[/name] or [name]Starling[/name]. Those all sound like you’re trying too hard to name your kid after a bird, whereas [name]Wren[/name] is a beautiful name with a subtle nod to the avian.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it was popular before, but I just recently discovered that everyone liked it. I’m not a fan. Not a fan of any of those names, honestly.

Haha, I’ve been wondering the same thing. I don’t really like the sound of [name]Wren[/name]. I’ve been seeing it EVERYWHERE lately as a middle name (on forums, not [name]IRL[/name]… yet). I don’t really get the appeal TBH. Is it the next [name]Rose[/name]/[name]Grace[/name]?

I don’t think it’s such a great name, definatley nms, I don’t see why there is a popularity spike either haha…I think [name]Wren[/name] is the name of a character on Pretty [name]Little[/name] Liars, that might be a part of it’s newfound popularity

The character from “[name]Even[/name] Stevens” was named [name]Ren[/name], short for [name]Renee[/name].

Perhaps some of the parents that grew up watching that show liked the name [name]Ren[/name], and assumed it was [name]Wren[/name] or preferred the [name]Wren[/name] spelling.

I think some parents like it because it falls in the green, short and sweet category.

It’s not a name I would probably notice since it’s not my style, so I never really thought much about it.

I totally never realized that! I remember talking to my mom about that name after I heard it on the show and she told me that she went to school with a girl named [name]Wren[/name] so I just assumed it was the same lol. Good to know.

I like it because I like bird names, and I find Wrens cute birds. Also caught up with a lot of the classical imagery of “[name]Jenny[/name] [name]Wren[/name]” as sweet and likable.

What makes [name]Lark[/name] nicer than [name]Wren[/name]? I don’t get that.

And [name]Starling[/name]? Really? They’re invasive and they kill native songbirds. I find [name]Starling[/name] the oddest of the bunch.

I totally agree with the [name]Even[/name] Stevens connection. When I started seeing it pop up everywhere lately, I assumed it was Started from kids growing up during the peak of the show’s popularity now hitting into pregnancies. I’m sure there are Tons of people who still don’t know the connection, because name trends travel quickly sometimes. But, I do think that’s where this one has started. :slight_smile:

I don’t even know what [name]Even[/name] Stevens is?

I really don’t understand [name]Wren[/name] either. It’s just not an appealing name to me. [name]Lark[/name] I can take, but [name]Wren[/name]… it’s beyond me.

Can one of the [name]Lark[/name]-loving [name]Wren[/name]-haters explain why [name]Lark[/name] is nicer at all?

Thank you, I was just going to mention [name]Ren[/name] short for [name]Renee[/name]! I think this is way cuter than [name]Wren[/name] … I don’t understand it at all, and to be honet it looks more masculine than feminine. :stuck_out_tongue:

Stripedsocks:

I just listed [name]Lark[/name] and [name]Starling[/name] and [name]Hawk[/name] because they sprang to mind as established avian names. Perhaps replacing [name]Starling[/name] with [name]Robin[/name] would have made more sense however.

I wasn’t making a value judgment as to whether [name]Lark[/name] is NICER than [name]Wren[/name], just that I’d heard it before as a name, and if you were to see it at the top of a school essay you wouldn’t have to do a double-take.

Part of the reason I ask this question about [name]Wren[/name] is because I want to know when will it be O.K. to name my kid Owl, because I love owls. :stuck_out_tongue: J/K. Sort of.

Owl would be a cute middle name <3

Oh. Ohhhh, I see. I have the dumb today. Only one cup of coffee.

I have known some Wrens and various people called [name]Ren[/name] for short ([name]Laurens[/name], mostly, in my case, not Renees) all my life. I find it less jarring than [name]Lark[/name]. I don’t detest [name]Lark[/name], either, I just wasn’t sure why better/worse.

I like nature names AND I was raised by hippies so I’m the wrong one to ask about Owl. I once encouraged someone who wanted a bird name to name their kid Tyto [name]Alba[/name], which, in fact a) is a barn owl in Latin, b) proving I am a terrible person. :slight_smile:

Really!? Oh my goodness you just made my day!

Stripedsocks:

Yeah, I’m not actually a big fan of [name]Lark[/name] either :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m veering toward hippie names the older I get. Goodness knows my kid will probably end up something like [name]Luna[/name] Owl or something equally atrocious! It’s funny that when I was younger my favorite names were [name]Nicole[/name], [name]Claudia[/name], [name]Amanda[/name], etc. Now I can actually imagine myself having a child named [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Bay[/name].

By the way, Tyto [name]Alba[/name] sounds kind of Sci-Fi cool! I like it! I don’t agree that you’re a terrible person! lol