Could these work to honor?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all! I have some names that I’ve been thinking about to honor my maternal grandmother. I still think using [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is my favorite option to honor her, but there are an others I have started to love also. I’d really appreciate it if you could help me by and providing any feedback you can offer, be it positive or negative. You will not offend me! :smiling_face: For reference, my grandmother’s first name was M@ry and her middle name was €liz@beth.
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Maya[/name_f] or [name_f]Amaya[/name_f] would work as an honor for M@ry? I know for some, they would be a stretch, but I think they may work! I’d also be open to considering another variation of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] as a middle name, in this case, such as [name_f]Elise[/name_f]. What do you think?
Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Also, please forgive me, as this will be a multiple thread day for me! I have some other names I’ve been thinking about. I was going to include them here, but decided against that.

Thank you so much!! :butterfly::white_heart:

I love a stretchy honour but I think Maya/Amaya is a bit too stretchy for [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. I do think just [name_f]May[/name_f] would work though as it’s sometimes a nn for [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. I like the idea of [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] or [name_f]Elise[/name_f] - there’s a lot you can do with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]!

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the name [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and it works perfect as an honor name.

Could also use

[name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f]
[name_f]Bethany[/name_f]
[name_u]Maria[/name_u]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]

1 Like

@persephonescrown Thank you so much for this! [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is so cute! [name_f]My[/name_f] thought process with [name_f]Amaya[/name_f] and [name_f]Maya[/name_f] is that they share several letters with M@ry. I don’t know that I can let go of [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] though!

Thank you again!

:butterfly::white_heart:

1 Like

@Mimimoo92 Thank you so much for this! I never would have thought of [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] or [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]! How beautiful! I really like the idea of names that are classic, and not too out there, but unique and spunky enough that there won’t be five kids with the same name in a child’s class. For example, I’ve only ever met two people who go by [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]. One used it as her full name. I’m not sure if it’s a nickname or a full name for the other one!

Thank you again!

I think it depends on whether it’s enough for you! If [name_f]Maya[/name_f] reminds you enough of Ma.ry, then why not!

For me, [name_f]Maya[/name_f] works for Ma.ry, especially with middle name [name_f]Elise[/name_f]! Personally, I’d use the [name_f]Maia[/name_f] spelling since that can be a variant of Ma.ry :slight_smile:

If I was to honour a M- E-, I’d also consider:

[name_f]Merrily[/name_f]
[name_u]Mallory[/name_u]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Polly[/name_f]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Marcy[/name_f]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Beth[/name_f]
[name_f]Libby[/name_f]
[name_f]Marielle[/name_f]
Mabli/Mabel (combining letters)

1 Like

@Greyblue Thank you so much! I actually prefer the softness of the [name_f]Maia[/name_f] spelling, but wasn’t sure if it was a stretch since it doesn’t share as many letters with Ma.ry as the other spelling does? Of your other suggestions, my favorites are:

[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] (even though I’m not sure if I’m brave enough to use it!)

Thank you again!

1 Like

Honestly, I think it doesn’t work. [name_f]Maja[/name_f] is a short form for [name_u]Maria[/name_u] in some countries so they are related but just too far removed.

I think a slight variation is fine. For example [name_u]Anne[/name_u] instead of [name_f]Anna[/name_f] or [name_f]Eva[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Eve[/name_f].

But if you go too far away from the original name I just don’t really see the point anymore. [name_f]Amaya[/name_f] and [name_f]Maya[/name_f] feel like completely different names and no one will get the connection except for you. If this is enough for you then that is fine, but otherwise I’d reconsider.

I would choose a first name you love (like [name_f]Maya[/name_f] or Amaya) and then use a name that is either her actual name or very very close:

[name_f]Amaya[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

(to be honest, even [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Elise[/name_f] don’t really work for me because they have such a different sound).

1 Like

@Mayblossom Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate your feedback. You have affirmed my worries that these stretch things a little too far, and that I would be the only person who sees the connection between the names. I like others more, so I don’t think I’ll be using these.:smiling_face:

Thank you again!

1 Like