Could this work?

Could the name [name]Julian[/name] work on a girl? I just love this name and even though it is used for boys, I kinda like how it sounds like a mesh between [name]Julie[/name] and [name]Jillian[/name].

I like that name but I do feel that the [name]Julian[/name] spelling looks like a boy. What about the [name]Julianne[/name] spelling?

[name]IMO[/name], no. It is most definitely a boy’s name for me. Why not just choose [name]Julianne[/name]?

[name]Julian[/name] was actually used more for girls than boys in medieval times. In The [name]Black[/name] [name]Prince[/name] (a wonderful novel by [name]Iris[/name] Murdoch) there’s a girl called [name]Julian[/name] (picked out for a boy, and when it was a girl her parents just gave her the same name).

I think it’s all boy though, you have [name]Julia[/name] and [name]Juliana[/name] for a girl. But it is not the worst boy name to give a girl.

There’s a [name]Juliann[/name] (born in 1890) in my family tree. I’ve always thought it was very pretty and I loved that she went by [name]Jenny[/name] (would probably be way too confusing for modern usage, but I love it just the same).

Thanks for the feedback! I really like the spelling “[name]Juliann[/name]”!

If you’re [name]Christian[/name] (or maybe even if you’re not) you might find Julian of Norwich to be an interesting namesake. She was a female theologian and author back in a time when women were really not big in those fields.

Personally i like [name]Julianne[/name] or [name]Juliana[/name] better than just [name]Julian[/name], but its not as farfetched a “crossover” as a lot of others that are way more common. I wouldn’t be appalled to find out that little [name]Julian[/name] was a girl.

I actually used to babysit for a baby girl named [name]Julian[/name]. It was a family name but she is older Now and wears it well! So from personal experience I can definitely see it on a girl.

Thank you for all the comments! I am glad to know that I am not rediculous for liking [name]Julian[/name] for a girl. :slight_smile:

There was a [name]Julianne[/name] in my school. [name]Said[/name] just the same as [name]Julian[/name] but with a little extra emphasis on the end. She’s the only one I’ve ever known and I always used to think it was pretty. To me it makes more sense to use that than [name]Julian[/name].

What about [name]Julienne[/name]? Feminine variant, but sounds almost identical to [name]Julian[/name] to me. [name]Julian[/name] will always be masculine, in my head, but I think [name]Julienne[/name] could work for a girl.

Ohhh, I really like [name]Julienne[/name]! The whole reason I wasn’t very crazy about [name]Julianne[/name] was because of the emphasis on the anne suffix.

I really prefer [name]Julienne[/name], but [name]Julian[/name] is nice in a medieval unisex kind of way. I just think most people only see it as strictly male.

I think I prefer [name]Julienne[/name] now, too :wink:

[name]Julienne[/name] is a beautiful alternative. The only little downside is that it’s a culinary term Julienning - Wikipedia