Country Misconceptions

Hi, I’m American. I know there are users from all over here, so I want you to share where you live (country, state/province, city), a common misconception, and the actual truth! Like a post if you learned something!

Misconception: The US is a single large country! It’s all the same!
[name_u]Truth[/name_u]: We are 50 tiny countries who tolerate each other so we can all sit at the big-kid table.

16 Likes

Hi I’m American.

Misconception: We are 50 tiny countries…
[name_u]Truth[/name_u]: We are a single united country but we are certainly diverse and it can be tough to work together sometimes since not everyone will agree!

I just had to

1 Like

Hello, I’m from Toronto!

Misconception: [name_f]Every[/name_f] day is cold in [name_f]Canada[/name_f]
[name_u]Truth[/name_u]: It can get really cold during winter, but during the summer it can get as warm as 40 degrees (Celsius).

6 Likes

:uk:

Misconception: Everyone loves tea and crumpets and it’s always really cold.

Truth: I don’t like tea or crumpets and I’m certain many agree with me. We like a variety of different drinks and breads. We have had two heatwaves in recent years!

2 Likes

:cry: :grin:

3 Likes

Sorry😿

Posted one about where I live (:tr:) but deleted, basically tell me something you know about it and it’s probably false.

And in :uk: we don’t have tea parties with the [name_f]Queen[/name_f] every day! No! :grin:

2 Likes

I laughed out loud (not in a mean way) just when you said people freak out and fail.

2 Likes

Yes, omg!

1 Like

:india:

INDIA IS NOT A THIRD-WORLD COUNTRY! There’s a functioning democracy and a bunch of pop culture. There’s technology. [name_m]Just[/name_m] because it has a lot of tradition doesn’t mean it’s a third-world country.

(I’m American, but I feel like a lot of the stereotypes about us are true, so here I am, sticking up for India.)

7 Likes

:black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 (< unrecognised Welsh flag)

Misconception: Everyone has committed an unspeakable act involving sheep at least once, usually under the influence of alcohol (this was the nicest way I could word it)

Truth: Most people have never been within a mile of a sheep and sheep run away if you try getting close to them anyway

12 Likes

:fr:

Misconception: everyone wears berets
[name_u]Truth[/name_u]: no one wears berets (but yes we all eat croissants and baguettes)

13 Likes

:sunflower:

Misconception: Everyone in Kansas lives on farms and runs away from tornados all day.

Truth: Most of Kansas’ population lives in Wichita or the suburbs of Kansas City, and [name_u]Texas[/name_u] and Oklahoma have more tornados every year than Kansas. I lived there for 9 years and only experienced 2 tornado warnings.

(I don’t live there anymore though)

4 Likes

The Netherlands.

Misconception: It’s the capital of Denmark. [name_u]Holland[/name_u] is the capital of [name_m]Amsterdam[/name_m]. [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] and Danish are interchangeable. [name_u]Holland[/name_u] and the Netherlands are interchangeable. Huh, why does it say [name_m]Amsterdam[/name_m] is the capital? The Hague is the capital, and I know that because I’m smart.

Truth: You’d be surprised how often I’ve had to explain that Denmark is indeed lovely but that it’s not where I’m from. Sometimes I just let it go and embrace my inner [name_u]Dane[/name_u].

Other facts: [name_m]Amsterdam[/name_m] is the capital of the Netherlands. The Hague is the seat of government, but that does not make it the capital. [name_m]Amsterdam[/name_m] is located in the province of Noord-[name_u]Holland[/name_u] (bonus fact: it is not the capital of that province, that’s Haarlem). The clue is in the name: there are two of them. The two Hollands are a region on the west coast, the rest of the country? Not [name_u]Holland[/name_u]. Have the [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] contributed to this confusion and will they continue to do so? Very much so. Netherlands has a ‘th’ in it and is a mouthful compared to [name_u]Holland[/name_u]. I mean I don’t see anyone here lining up to name their kids Netherlands, while [name_u]Holland[/name_u] gets some love at least. So in a way yes, the two terms are interchangeable colloquially, but not geographically. In [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] it’s nearly always referred to as ‘Nederland’, because the ‘d’ is a letter we pronounce with gusto.

Netherlands sounds more like Neverland, which is more fun. [name_f]Remember[/name_f], kids.

7 Likes

I’m in the UK. Misconception it always rains and [name_u]London[/name_u] is the epicentre of the country and there is little else. Well not everyone lives in and likes [name_u]London[/name_u].

Whilst we do have a lot of rain we also do have some great summers and the UK in the sunshine is glorious.
I live in the south west 3 hours from [name_u]London[/name_u] I’d say. I could never live in a city like [name_u]London[/name_u]. Country life for me.

2 Likes

Fun fact: The country is called Hollanda in :tr: and in primary school when we learnt Netherlands in [name_f]English[/name_f], all kids were confused :grin:

Also [name_f]England[/name_f].

Misconception: everything is old. Yes, there are older parts of most industrial cities (housing stock mostly built 1860s onwards) but the vast majority of people live in towns that are predominantly newer. There’s a good bit of old mixed in, though. Unless you live in Coventry. (Which unfortunately got flattened in WW2)

I might not be the best example though because in the 4 cities I have lived in there have been 2 castles and 3 cathedrals…

Oh no, I’m the stereotype :joy:

The only reason I don’t live in [name_u]London[/name_u] is I can’t afford it on a teacher’s salary.

1 Like

Haha yeah, it’s the bane of our existence in lots of languages. In Swedish there’s Nederländerna which is close enough to the ‘original’ but then I’ve heard most Swedes I’ve met refer to the country as [name_u]Holland[/name_u] in Swedish.

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] I’m half Russian, living with my husband in gorgeous [name_f]England[/name_f]!

Misconception about Ukraine: we’re the same country as [name_f]Russia[/name_f]! We’re not, Ukraine used to be a part of the Soviet Union, but it’s over now! We are our own country!

Misconception about [name_f]Russia[/name_f]: We’re still communist! Nope, that ended, thankfully. Though * some * people want to be.

Misconception about UK: We have tea parties all the time! I love tea, like any [name_u]Brit[/name_u], but we don’t host everyday!

xx

5 Likes