Courtney

I really love this name especially because it has the nickname [name_m]Court[/name_m] which imo is super cute but I know that not everyone loves it. Thoughts on this name, is it popular?

[name_u]Courtney[/name_u] is sweet! It does feel quite dated to me, but on the bright side, that means it isn’t super popular right now!

1 Like

It was so popular, so so popular. I think that’s most people’s problem with it.

2 Likes

It’s not very popular where I love so that’s good to know!

The name was big when I began teaching in the late 80’s. Who knows, its time may have come again. Plus if you love it, that’s what really matters.

2 Likes

I want to say it more popular in the 80s or 90s? At least here in the states. I grew up with a few of them but haven’t met any “young” ones in a long time. It has a preppy cheerleader vibe to me but it isn’t a bad name. [name_m]Court[/name_m] is a really cool nn.

3 Likes

Ahh good to know, thank you!

I adore the name [name_u]Courtney[/name_u]! It’s on our list too! It’s definitely not popular amongst little ones anymore - it peaked in the US in the 1990s :slight_smile: I think it recently fell out of the US top 1000 actually!

1 Like

Thats really cool I didn’t know that!

I know an almost obnoxious amount about when names peaked, I have a spreadsheet for my list :rofl:

1 Like

[name_u]Courtney[/name_u] isn’t my favourite but it is solid and distinct. I don’t think it’s too popular

1 Like

It’s pretty dated to me. I think I get its appeal academically but to me it isn’t time for it to come back yet.

1 Like

I’ve known a few Courtney’s, all of whom would be in their 20s at the moment / born in the 1990s, so the name feels very tied to that era for me personally, but I do think it’s quite a nice name and don’t necessarily see it as unusably dated. In fact, I’d love to meet a little [name_u]Courtney[/name_u]!

1 Like

I think it’s cute, but it feels a little dated, tbh. All the Courtneys I’ve known have been between my age and my mom’s age. But I don’t think that makes it unusable. It has a cute sound, and it’s a familiar name. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it’s not as popular anymore, no one will find it odd or too out-there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with previous posters that I find it a little dated and very preppy/suburban cheerleader vibes. But I can see the appeal of zippy nickname [name_m]Court[/name_m]. I like [name_u]Whitney[/name_u], which is similar but has a more appealing sound and imagery to me personally.

1 Like

[name_u]Courtney[/name_u] is lovely! I have a great personal association with one, so I don’t think it’s dated as she’s about my age !! (2000s babey? Is that dated now??)
I think it’s a very bouncy, friendly name!

1 Like

Yep this, it was pretty big here, and would probably be considered more of a ‘mom’ name. However it’s a cute name and would be surprising on a little baby today.

1 Like

It’s a very pretty name. Reminds me of one of the princess from [name_f]Barbie[/name_f] and the 12 dancing princesses! Only known one [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] who would be in her late teens now.

1 Like

I think it’s cute! It feels little dated to me because most of the people I know named [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] aren’t kids any more. But I like it still. I don’t think it’s very popular.

1 Like

It’s very 90s to me, I’m not sure it’s quite come back round into fashion yet but I’m sure it will one day so you’ll be ahead of the game!

1 Like