Cousins with same name?!

My niece is named [name_u]Marie[/name_u] after her great grandmother (my grandmother). I also want to honour my grandmother, and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] goes very well with my hypothetical sibset. It’s clear that [name_u]Marie[/name_u] and my future daughter will have a huge age difference. [name_f]My[/name_f] niece doesn’t have a nickname, so I’d use a nickname for my [name_u]Marie[/name_u] to avoid confusions.

Would it be too awkward if I name my daughter [name_u]Marie[/name_u]? If yes, what would you name a sister to [name_u]Anne[/name_u] and [name_u]Louise[/name_u]?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t think it would be awkward. They both will be named after someone in the family, and they won’t be sharing that much of their life.

I do share my name with a cousin (also with my mother, my great aunt and my great-great-grandmother) and it was never an issue to us, and none of us go by any nickname (well, let’s say the name is [name_f]Mary[/name_f], sometimes I’m [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and my mother is [name_f]Mary[/name_f] but it’s more a familiar name than an usable nickname).

I really like to share my name with so many women in my family, it feels… special? Like we share a bond or something. I think your future [name_u]Marie[/name_u] would like it too, as well as your niece.

Anne, [name_u]Louise[/name_u] and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] make a lovely sibset!

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s problem. Often multiple people share a family name.

3 Likes

Do you have a lot of contact with your niece? I don’t think it’s awkward but is there definitely no other name which is like [name_u]Marie[/name_u] but not?
What about [name_u]Maria[/name_u] or [name_f]Mary[/name_f] or [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]?

1 Like

At the moment we live in different countries, but this year I’ll move so we’ll live in same city. We have a very close relationship with her. We call each other nearly every day.

I don’t think it would be a big problem. [name_f]My[/name_f] cousins (who are cousins too) have extremely similar names - think [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] & [name_f]Milly[/name_f] - and they’ve never had an issue. As your [name_u]Marie[/name_u] will be so different in age I think this would be even less of an issue.

2 Likes

I think it’d be a bit weird, but they’ll be far enough apart in age that it won’t matter too much. Maybe you could use [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Mari[/name_f] or [name_u]Maria[/name_u] instead? Also, if this hypothetical [name_u]Marie[/name_u] would be the 3rd girl in your sibset you might not even have to worry about this situation.

1 Like

Make it a double honour name and honour your niece as well, on purpose. Especially if you’re not going to be having kids for some time.

3 Likes

I have cousins with the same name. We used their middle names too. I think especially when it comes to an honor name, go for it! Its kind of crummy that one person would get to used a beloved grandparents name just because they had their kid before you did.

1 Like

My Mom’s side of the family is Catholic, and there are so many [name_u]Anne[/name_u]’s and [name_u]Michael[/name_u]’s that I couldn’t count them all if I tried. Especially with a nickname, I don’t think your [name_u]Marie[/name_u] would get confused for her older cousin.

1 Like

It’s fine, but there are many nice variants.
[name_f]Maris[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariah[/name_f]
[name_u]Maria[/name_u]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]

1 Like

Maybe I’m the minority here but I think it’s a little odd if they are both first names. If one or both was a middle name I wouldn’t blink and eye. [name_f]My[/name_f] 2 cousins both of son’s very close in age named [name_m]Jason[/name_m]. Any get together is very confusing and referring to them in general is very confusing. We have to refer to them by middle name.

I guess for me it really depends how often you will see them and refer to them in general. If they share a grandparent I think it’s too close personally for a first name.

1 Like

I don’t know, my cousin and my sister shared a middle name which I think is very common. And I know a lot of cultures share names throughout a family- especially [name_u]Marie[/name_u] and [name_u]Maria[/name_u] as FN. I think I’d ask your niece, if you are close, how she would feel about it?

2 Likes

I personally wouldn’t, no matter the age difference. Having a popular name and hating that I had to share it, I actually liked being able to go to family events and be the only [name_u]Abby[/name_u], after being one of several at school and dance. I just feel like there are so many amazing names out there, it’s really not that difficult not to repeat names. I realize I have a small family so it’s easier to say that, but even if I married someone with 10 siblings, I’d feel the same way. If it were a middle name, it would be different, but I’d avoid using the same first name, even if it’s a family name. The good news is that [name_u]Marie[/name_u] makes a wonderful middle!

2 Likes

I think it will work fine! [name_f]May[/name_f] would be such a sweet nickname for [name_u]Marie[/name_u]!

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I agree that it’s fine. I’d say if the two [name_f]Maries[/name_f] were close in age & spent a lot of time together it could get confusing. But two [name_u]Marie[/name_u]'s of different generations in a big family honoring the same special lady seems sweet & perfectly acceptable. Especially if you give your [name_u]Marie[/name_u] a nn. I like the suggestion of [name_f]May[/name_f]! [name_f]Molly[/name_f] or [name_f]Maisy[/name_f] are also adorable.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s fine, especially because of the age difference and because it’s a family name! I have a first cousin whose name almost identical to mine and it’s not a problem at all.

1 Like

Amongst my 37 cousins and many aunts and uncles, there are a couple of Michaels, Nancys, Kathys, Susans, Johns, etc. [name_m]Just[/name_m] making a point that in previous generations it was common for cousins/other relatives to share names. Of course, families were often larger, the name pool was smaller, and it certainly would depend on how often one sees the extended family.

3 Likes

I think it would be fine, but I come from a family where 50% of the boys are named [name_m]John[/name_m], so take that with a grain of salt. lol. [name_u]Anne[/name_u], [name_u]Louise[/name_u], and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] are great! If you still have hesitations, I think [name_f]Elise[/name_f]/Elisabeth, [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] would be great with [name_u]Anne[/name_u] and [name_u]Louise[/name_u], too, though.

Good luck!

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t do it but I’m picky that way. I love [name_u]Marie[/name_u] with [name_u]Anne[/name_u] and [name_u]Louise[/name_u]. Otherwise I would choose [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

1 Like