Cove?

I’m writing during the COVID-19 pandemic, but what do you guys think of the name [name_u]Cove[/name_u]? I feel that if I were to name my daughter [name_u]Cove[/name_u], she would be called Covid. What do you guys think?

1 Like

It’s not my first thought to be honest. I think it’s still usable.

3 Likes

There is also another [name_u]Berry[/name_u] who had twin sons in Dec 2017 (I know, not during the pandemic). One was name Thïᴀgö Sᴀshᴀ Cövë.

With this in mind, I think it would be a great middle name for either gender, but I don’t think it would work as a first name right now.

2 Likes

I don’t think so. [name_u]Cove[/name_u] has quite different connotations to me

2 Likes

I think it’s very usable as a middle name. I don’t immediately think of Covid. I think of the ocean. But I do think that kids will probably make the connection at some point. And I’m assuming even when the pandemic is over children will be taught about the world wide shutdown for generations. It’s a pretty historic event. Having said that, kids find a way to make fun of any name so I don’t think it’s a big deal.

3 Likes

I try to give names the benefit of the doubt when it comes to potentially negative associations, but I don’t see [name_u]Cove[/name_u] working as a first name any time soon. I’m also in the US which is the epicenter of the pandemic, so that could influence my opinion. if I met someone with the name, Covid would be the first thing I think of, and if it were a baby I would question why someone would pick the name :frowning:
I do think it makes a really nice, breezy middle when paired with the right first name.

1 Like

I think it’s a cute name, but obviously right now might not be the time to use it as a first name. It could work as a middle name, but she might get asked about Covid if she’s born around this time.

1 Like

I love [name_u]Cove[/name_u]. I first heard it on YouTuber [name_u]Aspyn[/name_u] Ovard’s daughter, although I’m not sure how because I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of her videos lol. I’d seen it around here before that but it didn’t stick out until then, I guess.

Unfortunately, I don’t see myself using the name anymore because it reminds me too much of Covid. It doesn’t seem like that’s the case for everyone else though so if it doesn’t bother you, I think you should use it! Especially because I want someone to be able to use this beautiful name.

3 Likes

I get more mermaid vibes than anything, but if you have a bad association, I wouldn’t use it.

1 Like

I don’t love it as a first name but I think it’s a beautiful middle.

1 Like

I like the names [name_u]Cove[/name_u] and [name_m]Covy[/name_m] but I wouldn’t use them as first names right now but I think can still work as middles. Maybe in a couple years they will be usable again.

1 Like

I don’t automatically make the connection. I think it’s still usable. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name!

2 Likes

There is no possibility that people won’t connect the name [name_u]Cove[/name_u] to Covid. It’s unfortunate, but it’s also reality. I have similar frustrations… such as loving the girls’ name [name_f]Isis[/name_f]. Connotation is unavoidable, and some names no matter how much you love you just shouldn’t use.

3 Likes

I don’t connect [name_u]Cove[/name_u] to Covid at all. When I hear [name_u]Cove[/name_u], my first thought is water, oceans and sand. I feel that [name_f]Corona[/name_f] will be tainted for awhile but [name_u]Cove[/name_u] is fine.

3 Likes

I think it’s really kind of cool and reminds of the ocean. I would not think of COVID, but that’s just my brain. :blush:

2 Likes

I agree with @Pansy and @namesleuth23. This is the direction my thoughts tend to go as well when I hear Cove.

I don’t think it’s very usable, for the reasons you pointed out.

I don’t think she would be called Covid. I personally wouldn’t make that association. [name_u]Cove[/name_u] is a cool nature name but I prefer it on a boy.

1 Like

I wouldn’t use it at all as a first name. It sounds far too much like COVID and I think even in years to come, [name_u]Cove[/name_u] is still going to remind me, and probably other people as well, of the current pandemic. It’s unfortunate because I love ocean themed names but I can’t get over the association. If your heart is set on it then maybe it would be fine as a middle name but even [name_f]Cora[/name_f] is a bit tainted for me now

I think it’s very pretty, but I do think it’s tainted right now. It would be a lovely middle name.