crazy, weird idea

so i was trying to think of a way to honor my ancestors that came over on the Mayflower, but their names were [name]John[/name] (x2), [name]Joan[/name], and [name]Elizabeth[/name]. I don’t feel like I could use such a common name, from so far back in my ancestry, and still have it honor them. So, I was thinking and thinking, and it occurred to me to use the name Mayflower. I don’t know, it’s just a thought, but I was wondering how weird everyone thought that would be. I’d never consider it up front, but something along the lines of [name]Eleanora[/name] Mayflower [name]Rose[/name]. What do you think, too crazy?

Well, [name]John[/name] & [name]Joan[/name] are the feminine/masculine of each other, why not fluff [name]Joan[/name] up a bit: [name]Joanna[/name]? [name]Joanna[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] would be really pretty! Mayflower as a name doesn’t really ring any bells for me, and I’m partenered to someone whose ancestors came over on the Mayflower (That’s where Tilley/[name]Tillie[/name] comes from on my list). I’d consider [name]May[/name] and maybe a flower type of name? [name]May[/name] [name]Fleur[/name]? [name]May[/name] [name]Flora[/name]? [name]May[/name] [name]Florence[/name]? [name]May[/name] [name]Blossom[/name]? I don’t know what else to suggest, but you at least see which way my brain is going, I defintely wouldn’t use Mayflower anywhere in the name. Can you imagine third grade, when they’re learning about the Mayflower? She’d be miserable.

[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Flora[/name] [name]May[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] Floramay? I’m really stretching here! :smiley:

I think that Mayflower would be a great middle name! Maybe not as a first time, [name]May[/name] [name]Flora[/name] or [name]Flora[/name] [name]May[/name] would also be really cool… or [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]May[/name], [name]May[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], or any flower name and [name]May[/name]… [name]Iris[/name] [name]May[/name], etc.

woah, is that [name]John[/name] Tilley who was married to [name]Joan[/name] and their daughter was [name]Elizabeth[/name] Tilley? Because if so, I’m distantly related to your partner! Small world! And that’s also why your [name]Ottilie[/name] has intrigued me

I think you’re totally right about it not working. I’ve thought about using [name]May[/name], it was sort of my grandma’s name, so it’d have double meaning, which would be nice. I’d also be more likely to use Tilley. I like the idea of [name]May[/name] [name]Fleur[/name], etc. but I don’t know, it’s not my top priority to honor, there are other people I’d like to honor instead of using two names on that. [name]May[/name] [name]Blossom[/name] is really cute though, but maybe too cute, even for me, queen of cute.

Indeed it is! We have the paperwork tracing it in the safe. It’s a point of pride for him, so that’s why [name]Ottilie[/name] stays on the list. She’d mean a lot to him.

I love [name]Mae[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]Fleur[/name], [name]Flower[/name], and Mayflower. All of them would be pretty middle names. For first names I love [name]Mae[/name] and [name]May[/name]. Mayflower has a lot of syllables and a long vowel. Plus it starts with an “m”. Sounds like something to sink your teeth into.

I think that Mayflower would be a beautiful middle name, but if you’re giving her 2 middle names I would use it as the second rather than the first. But that’s just me.
There are lots of variations of [name]Elizabeth[/name] you could use too.
And also, what is the Mayflower?

[name]Amy[/name], the Mayflower was the ship the Pilgrims came to [name]America[/name] on. Some of us can trace our families right back to them! There was also the Speedwell, but that leaked and I don’t think it ever made it here (I’d have to go look it up but feel lazy right now).