Created spellings—Grayce, Graycen, or Shyloh

I’ve heard the argument that some created spellings are just too yoonique. :crazy_face: And usually I can see why.

But some names morph and eventually are accepted. What changes? [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] to [name_m]Finneas[/name_m], as I saw the other day. More are there I’m sure, I’m just blanking.

[name_f]My[/name_f] girls both have middle names that have established “y” spellings—[name_f]Elyse[/name_f] and [name_f]Carys[/name_f]. Though I’m not set on that being a have-to (we’re currently in great like with [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] [name_u]Love[/name_u]) , two girl names I like ([name_f]Grace[/name_f] and [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]) seem they would match better or feel more “fresh” with a “y” included: [name_f]Grayce[/name_f] and [name_m]Shyloh[/name_m]. I also like Graycen.

It’s likely we’ll not use these names or at least, spelled this way, if we have another girl. But, any ideas on what makes alternative spellings suddenly “work?”

For me, the alternative spellings that work are the ones that are used and well established in other cultures or languages. Those spelling would still be traditional somewhere and would have an history behind them. Medieval spellings may be a nice option too, for example.
Otherwise, I’m usually not a fan of alternative spellings, unless there is a big big reason behind that change like honoring a loved one.

1 Like

That makes sense. :+1:

1 Like

Maybe you would consider [name_f]Shyla[/name_f] or [name_f]Shayla[/name_f] instead of [name_m]Shyloh[/name_m]? [name_u]Grey[/name_u] or [name_u]Gray[/name_u] instead of [name_f]Grayce[/name_f]? The names you’ve mentioned just seem made up to me. Other names with a “y”:

[name_f]Yara[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]May[/name_f]
[name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_u]Finley[/name_u]
[name_f]Posy[/name_f]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]

I’m not a fan of [name_m]Shyloh[/name_m], but [name_f]Grayce[/name_f]/Graycen I’ve seen lots of times before and actually really like them!

1 Like

Thanks for your honesty and suggestions!!!

1 Like

Thanks! I hadn’t seen them much, so that’s smthg to consider! :+1:

I think the longer an alternative spelling has been around, and had its own life so to speak, the more likely I am to like it! But admittedly a lot of that is about perceptions. I don’t always know, upon seeing a name, how long that particular spelling has been around–so my opinion is often based more on how established it seems to me, rather than how established it actually is. All that being said, I don’t tend to favor alternative spellings. [name_m]Even[/name_m] in cases where there really is no “alternate,” because both are established and have their own history, I tend to prefer the more common spelling just for simplicity’s sake. For some people, though, a unique or personally meaningful spelling is more important, and that is very understandable! In your case, especially for a middle name, an unusual spelling might be just the thing that makes your daughter’s name feel special to her.

Basically–I tend to prefer “traditional” spellings, but I think there are plenty of valid reasons to go for a more unusual spelling. Ultimately, I think it comes down to your willingness to spell your child’s name frequently and recognize that they will also have to do so. With a middle name, that seems unlikely to pose any big problem!

1 Like

[quote=“[name_f]Estrela[/name_f], post:2, topic:338729, full:true”]
For me, the alternative spellings that work are the ones that are used and well established in other cultures or languages. Those spelling would still be traditional somewhere and would have an history behind them. Medieval spellings may be a nice option too, for example.
Otherwise, I’m usually not a fan of alternative spellings, unless there is a big big reason behind that change like honoring a loved one.
[/quote]

I agree with @[name_f]Estrela[/name_f].

2 Likes

Thanks for this thoughtful response!

Creative spellings are often difficult, however it’s probably ok as a middle name. It’s often a good idea to look at other cultures for “alternate spellings,” such as, for example [name_f]Perla[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. Maybe for [name_f]Grace[/name_f]: [name_f]Gracie[/name_f], [name_f]Gracia[/name_f], or [name_u]Grey[/name_u]? If you want a “y,” maybe [name_u]Grayson[/name_u]? Or, if there is a particular language or background you want to honor, you could use the word for [name_f]Grace[/name_f], or whatever meaning. But, of course, it’s ultimately up to you and as a middle name, it’s probably not a big deal.

1 Like

[name_f]Grayce[/name_f] seems a bit forced, but I like [name_m]Shyloh[/name_m].

1 Like

Usually the spellings that work are already established spellings in other cultures.

You could always look at names that can be legitimately spelled with a ‘y’, such as [name_f]Faye[/name_f] and [name_u]Skye[/name_u].