Cringeworthy

I have personally met a sibling set recently and I cringed when I saw how their names are spelled.

Gavin [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]
Maelina [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlette[/name_f] [name_f]Izabelle[/name_f]
Josaphine [name_f]Nicole[/name_f]

Their last name is very Czech. I love [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f], but my heart breaks seeing it spelled so uniquely.

Have you ever cringed at children’s names? What cringeworthy sibling set do you know of or heard?

I dont like seeing my name [name_f]Erin[/name_f], spelled [name_f]Erinn[/name_f] or [name_f]Eryn[/name_f] or [name_f]Erynn[/name_f]. To me that is cringeworthy. But its also my own name!! [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is [name_m]Alan[/name_m] and I’ve become cringy when I see it spelled [name_m]Allen[/name_m] even though that’s a correct spelling but it just bugs me, not sure why!

2 Likes

that’s interesting because my dad’s name is spelled [name_m]Karl[/name_m] and I find [name_m]Carl[/name_m] cringeworthy. It seems geeky to me whereas [name_m]Karl[/name_m] seems more strong.

I’m used to [name_f]Erin[/name_f] as a lot of people my age have that name! [name_f]My[/name_f] name is spelled differently as well, so I find other versions of my name cringeworthy haha

Ok just saw a new birth announcement from an old peer. Her daughter‘a name is Maxlie. I’d rather her go with [name_f]Maxine[/name_f]… or even [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u].

A friend of mine named her daughters [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]. They aren’t twins, and I’m not sure if that makes it better or worse. The names on their own are wonderful, but together they do make me cringe to this day.

I also know a couple who named their daughter Easy, though now she goes by [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] to make things simpler for herself and more palatable for the world. [name_f]My[/name_f] understanding is that they chose the name before becoming fully bilingual and they weren’t living in an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking country, but American sounding names were quite fashionable in their home country, so they went with the word they thought was most appealing. I try not to cringe too hard, because it seems like an honest mistake… but [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] is absolutely the way to go for that child. And she’s a lovely young lady.

1 Like

I have a [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] and I cringe at seeing alternate spellings like
Zacari
[name_m]Zakari[/name_m]
Zakaree

I also don’t like [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] on the end of names like
[name_f]Ashleigh[/name_f]
Or [name_f]Kayleigh[/name_f]
[name_m]Just[/name_m] personal opinion.
I also find names like
[name_u]Austin[/name_u],[name_u]Logan[/name_u] and [name_u]Mason[/name_u] cringe worthy when I hear them in [name_f]England[/name_f]. I associate them as very American names. Not that there is anything wrong with that at all! It just seems like they are very, very American.

1 Like

Wow! [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] are just too close. [name_m]How[/name_m] does she pronounce them? When I say them, they sound almost the same.

Easy? I hope they legally change it to [name_u]Izzy[/name_u]. That could lead to a lot of problems.

1 Like

I agree, I can’t stand unique spellings of classic names and -[name_u]Leigh[/name_u] names aren’t my favorite. I associate [name_u]Mason[/name_u] and etc., as American names as well. [name_f]England[/name_f] has such lovely names to choose from!

1 Like

I saw an FB post for twins named [name_f]Belle[/name_f] and [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u], both girls.

Matching names can be quite cute, but don’t name your kids essentially the same name. They could’ve done something like [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] and [name_f]Alma[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Emmie[/name_f], names that are similar but different enough.

NO WAY. Why??

That’s ridiculous

She pronounces them A as in apple + melia and E as in elephant + melia. So yes, it is the same name save for a vowel.

I’d like to think that my children have markedly different names, and sometimes I call them by their siblings’ names. I cannot picture having two nearly identical names at home and knowing who to call.

I’m sure that Easy will legally change her name to [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] upon reaching adulthood. Her parents are not as mortified about it as I think they should be.

You’re exactly right! There was room for creativity and modifications.

-leigh ending names bother me. Also, large sibsets that all start with the same letter get me. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I are both J names and I woukd never ever choose a J name for my child. I have a [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m], and there are a few Z girl names I like, but will not choose for baby #2.

Names with -leigh endings don’t make me cringe, but they are hard for me, because my entire family’s default pronunciation is ‘lay’ instead of ‘lee’.