Critique my girls' list! Sophisticated yet slightly quirky names..

I’d love feedback on our favorite girls names! Please feel free to make suggestions too. MN will be either [name]Kate[/name], [name]Elise[/name] or [name]Josephine[/name] (family names).

[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name] (also a family name)
[name]Ottilie[/name] (nn [name]Tillie[/name])
[name]Astrid[/name]
[name]Aurelie[/name]

Again, please be totally honest and feel free to make suggestions/give your nn recommendation!

[name]Imogen[/name]- love this one!
[name]Eloise[/name]= I had this on mu list until a close friend used it… it is getting somewhat popular though!
[name]Agnes[/name] (also a family name- Like it, a little ald lady but not in a bad way
[name]Ottilie[/name] (nn [name]Tillie[/name])- not a huge fan but its ok
[name]Astrid[/name]- dont like… though i do like [name]Ingrid[/name] and it feels somewhat similar
Aureli I prefer [name]Aurelia[/name] but thats cute too!

I love [name]Josephine[/name] as a first name… [name]Josie[/name] is so cute as a nn! (plus my little guy is josef… so obviouslt its a good name!haha)

Thanks! I actually love [name]Josephine[/name], too. My brother is [name]Joseph[/name], so it would be after him, but I have a cousin named [name]Joanna[/name] that goes by [name]Josie[/name], so [name]Josie[/name] as a nn is out. I’m still considering [name]Josephine[/name] for the first name spot, but I can’t think of any nn’s I like for it.

[name]Imogen[/name] - Not a huge fan. It sounds upper-class but not very sweet to me (I’m from the US where this is never heard.)
[name]Eloise[/name] - Stunning! I love the combination of [name]Ella[/name]/[name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Louise[/name]. Very gorgeous.
[name]Agnes[/name] - Sounds old-lady-ish to me, but I love the nickname [name]Aggie[/name].
[name]Ottilie[/name] - [name]Unique[/name] with a lot of style. It reminds me of the words “otter” and “utterly” too much though. [name]Tillie[/name] is cute!
[name]Astrid[/name] - Nothing about the sound is pleasing to me. I prefer [name]Ingrid[/name].
[name]Aurelie[/name] - Has a beautiful, flowing, gentle sound. I like [name]Aurelia[/name] better, but both are lovely!

My favourite combinations are [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Aurelie[/name] [name]Josephine[/name].

[name]Imogen[/name]: pretty, Celtic and quite popular in the British Isles. Commonly mispronounced in the US as EYE-mo-[name]JEAN[/name], which is significantly less pretty.

[name]Eloise[/name]: the perennial nameberry favorite. Pretty, easy on the ears, dignified and classic.

[name]Agnes[/name]: I quite like [name]Agnes[/name], genuinely. I think the saintly namesake, the meaning, and the centuries of use are lovely. Most people do not care for it, so you should expect some strong negative reactions in the real world.

[name]Ottilie[/name] (nn [name]Tillie[/name]): quite exotic and unfamiliar in the US. I again think it’s easy on the ears and very striking, but am not sure how it would be perceived here.

[name]Astrid[/name]: it’s a pretty Swedish name but I childishly always see, hear and think “ass-turd.”

[name]Aurelie[/name]: very pretty, but difficult for many anglophones to pronounce. Homonymous with ‘aurally.’ And perhaps too close to the more sexual ‘orally.’

In terms of usability: [name]Eloise[/name] > [name]Ottilie[/name] > [name]Agnes[/name] > [name]Imogen[/name] > [name]Aurelie[/name] > [name]Astrid[/name]

Suggestions:

[name]Averill[/name]
[name]Bronwyn[/name]
[name]Elowen[/name]
[name]Honora[/name]
[name]Ione[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Melisande[/name]
[name]Rosamond[/name]
[name]Sidonie[/name]
[name]Sandrine[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Solange[/name]
[name]Solene[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]

Well [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Agnes[/name] and [name]Ottilie[/name] are all on my girls list, so these are my favourites.

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Kate[/name], [name]Agnes[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Ottilie[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] would get my vote, the latter being my absolute favourite.

[name]Imogen[/name] - This is beautiful. I love the sound and the look of it.
[name]Eloise[/name] - It’s pretty, but I find [name]Heloise[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Elodie[/name] and [name]Louise[/name] much prettier.
[name]Agnes[/name] - I like [name]Agnes[/name], it’s gorgeous. It’s my first name though, so I might be biased. I hated the way it was pronounced when I was little, but now I quite like it.
[name]Ottilie[/name] - My middle name which I go by for the most. I love it, most people think it’s very beautiful. There’s always been pronunciation issues, but I survived.
[name]Astrid[/name] - I love [name]Astrid[/name], it’s lovely. I’m half norwegian, so I like it pronounced like they do in Scandinavia. It’s sometimes spelled [name]Astri[/name] which would make the sound closer to what it’s like in Norway and [name]Sweden[/name].
[name]Aurelie[/name] - I think [name]Aurelia[/name] is prettier in sound, for the reasons blade said.

Maybe you’d like [name]Hulda[/name], [name]Elvira[/name], [name]Oleanna[/name], Ellisiv & [name]Sigrid[/name]

Thanks for the suggestions! I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Elowen[/name] (it was a little too out there for DH, so he suggested [name]Eloise[/name] - so that’s how [name]Eloise[/name] came to be on our list) [name]Honora[/name], and [name]Vivienne[/name].

Out of curiosity, how do you pronounce your middle name (Ottile)? Forvo has a long list of pronunciations by nationality, and they are all different. I’d probably use the French pronunciation, oh-[name]TILL[/name]-ee, but I also love the [name]German[/name] pronunciation. oh-[name]TEAL[/name]-ya. The English pronunciation appears to stress the first syllable, like OH-till-ee.

[name]Imogen[/name] -love it!
[name]Eloise[/name]- nice and classic, but slightly boring (no offense!)
[name]Agnes[/name] (also a family name) - nms
[name]Ottilie[/name] (nn [name]Tillie[/name]) - Like the full name, not so much the nn
[name]Astrid[/name]- A bit dated in my country, but not bad.
[name]Aurelie[/name] - beautiful. Prefer [name]Aurelia[/name].

[name]How[/name] about:

[name]Ariadne[/name]
[name]Alouette[/name]
[name]Isobel[/name]
[name]Larissa[/name]
Elfine or Elsephine

[name]Imogen[/name] - I am just not a fan of this name. Sorry.
[name]Eloise[/name] - I think [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Kate[/name] would be perfect. I love the combination so much more than either name on it’s own.
[name]Agnes[/name] - Something is lacking.
[name]Ottilie[/name] - I hate [name]Tillie[/name]. It was the name of a horrible pet bird I knew of. It ruined it for me forever.
[name]Astrid[/name] - I had [name]Astrid[/name] on my own list and love it so much.
[name]Aurelie[/name] - This is cute. Not my favorite from this list though.

I like your taste :slight_smile:

You might like [name]Elodie[/name], too.

As someone who does NOT bear the name :slight_smile: I always pronounce [name]Ottilie[/name] ‘aw-[name]TILL[/name]-ee,’ like [name]Otto[/name] + [name]Tilly[/name].

The [name]German[/name] form was Odalia, now spelled ‘[name]Ottilie[/name]’ with the ending E pronounced ‘uh.’ I think in [name]France[/name] the E is not pronounced, so it’s simply an ending EEE sound (the name lost a syllable when it was imported). The more common French variant is [name]Odette[/name]; In [name]Sweden[/name] it’s spelt Ottalia which is closer to the actual [name]German[/name] pronunciation. Ottalia might be easier for anglophones if that’s the sound you’re after.

o-[name]TIL[/name]-ee-UH, but I’ve been called O-tuh-lee on many an occasion (that’s the british pronunciation).

[name]Imogen[/name] - Pretty name, but doesn’t stand out to me.
[name]Eloise[/name] - I’m biased when it comes to [name]Eloise[/name]. Haha! I absolutely love it!
[name]Agnes[/name] - too boring for me unfortunately.
[name]Ottilie[/name]*- beautiful name.
[name]AstrId[/name] - lovely name that’s been growing on me recently.
[name]Aurelie[/name] - don’t really like this one, but it may grow on me. Haha!

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Elise[/name] is very pretty! I don’t think that [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Kate[/name] works well (thought it might, paired with your last name), and [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] doesn’t flow very well because both are three syllables.

[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Kate[/name] is pretty! Simple, easy, but not boring. [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Elise[/name] is a tongue twister, that’s for sure! Definitely not a good choice. [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is a better match than [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Josephine[/name], but still not as good as [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Kate[/name].

I’m not a fan of the name Anges, personally, but I think that [name]Agnes[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is your best choice.

I’ve never seen [name]Ottilie[/name] before, but it’s pretty! [name]Ottilie[/name] [name]Kate[/name] just doesn’t flow to me, I think it’s the hard K in [name]Kate[/name] that makes it sound odd. [name]Ottilie[/name] [name]Elise[/name] flows together a little too easily, making it a bit of a tongue twister as well! [name]Ottilie[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] sounds the best, in my opinion.

[name]Astrid[/name] isn’t one of my favorites either, but I think [name]Astrid[/name] [name]Elise[/name] is nice! A very feminine middle to contrast with [name]Astrid[/name].

I’m not quite sure how to pronounce [name]Aurelie[/name] (i’m hoping more like [name]Lorelei[/name] than Orally) but I think that [name]Kate[/name] works as the best middle

My favorites are [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Elise[/name], for sure!

[name]Imogen[/name] - I have bad associations with this name.
[name]Eloise[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this name! It’s very spunky.
[name]Agnes[/name] (also a family name) - This is one of my favorite names! I think it’s beautiful, and the nn [name]Aggie[/name] adds some spirit.
[name]Ottilie[/name] (nn [name]Tillie[/name]) - I’d go straight to [name]Tillie[/name].
[name]Astrid[/name] - A favorite of mine. I love it’s celestial meaning.
[name]Aurelie[/name] - I’ve only seen [name]Aurelia[/name], but this is a nice twist.

[name]Imogen[/name]-very pretty and elegant.
[name]Eloise[/name]-love it
[name]Agnes[/name]- it’s a family name for me as well. I like the nn [name]Aggie[/name], too. :slight_smile:
[name]Ottilie[/name] - I’m not a fan of this one; it would have to grow on me.
[name]Astrid[/name] - I don’t care of this name, no offense.
[name]Aurelie[/name]- pretty, but I like [name]Aurelia[/name] better

[name]Imogen[/name] - love. love love love! i couldn’t use it, because there aren’t any nns i like, but so classy :3
[name]Eloise[/name] - absolutely my favorite! what little girl wouldn’t love to have a namesake like the girl who lives at the plaza hotel? :wink:
[name]Agnes[/name] (also a family name) - i adore that it’s a family name, and i think aggie (the nn i’d use, not saying you will) is so…cuddly! is that weird? haha ;p
[name]Ottilie[/name] (nn [name]Tillie[/name]) - oh my gosh, tillie makes me so giddy! eek, this might ACTUALLY be my favorite (sorry, eloise) - so precious!
[name]Astrid[/name] - reminds me of the troll in that movie halloweentown? or astrid lindgren…but the troll was super cute, with hot pink hair and pom poms on her shoes, so i’m not opposed to this at all! it might be a little harsh on the american tongue, but i think it’s really sweet.
[name]Aurelie[/name] - i might actually like this better than aurelia! i love the meaning, and it makes me think of sunrise and magic and all that good stuff. i think it’s lovely :slight_smile:

also (as you can see) josephine is one of my all-time favorite names! other nn options could be: posy, fifi, jo, joey, and sophie :slight_smile:

suggestions:
ingrid (again, but i love it!)
helena
matilda
clotilde
roselie/rosalie

[name]Imogen[/name] - love!
[name]Eloise[/name]- like but don’t love; seems a bit more prissy
[name]Agnes[/name] - prefer this more a middle name, but don’t mind it.
[name]Ottilie[/name] (nn [name]Tillie[/name]) - not a huge fan - pronunciation is confusing and think [name]Ottie[/name] is the more logical nickname
[name]Astrid[/name] - okay but nms
[name]Aurelie[/name] - have never liked this name - (1) because it sounds like orally; and (2) it reminds me of areola. Maybe I have issues!

[name]Love[/name] love [name]Imogen[/name]. I would even give in to [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Aurelie[/name].

I like all of them!:smiley: