Crossan

Hello, we are expecting our second baby in [name]November[/name] and still considering boy names. Our other son, 3.5 years old, is named [name]Wyatt[/name]. I’m wondering what you all think of the name Crossan for a boy–said just how it looks, [name]Cross[/name]-an. I have only known one but because I have good associations with him and the name I wonder if maybe I can’t see it straight. [name]Do[/name] you like it, or not? It seems only to come up in my searches as an Irish Surname.

Our surname, by the way, is McMaster. So it would be Crossan McMaster.

Like it or not as a sibling name for [name]Wyatt[/name]? Thanks in advance for any input.

I’ve never met a Crossan before, but when I say it out loud, it reminds me of the word “crossing.” (“Crossan the street” comes to mind…)

Because of this, Crossan McMaster (cool last name, by the way) kind of sounds like “crossing the master” or “crossing my master” to me.

I’m guessing he’ll be nicknamed “[name]Cross[/name],” and in addition to cross meaning “angry,” it also seems like a religious name. I guess I also think of a cross master, so it sounds pretty strict to me.

Now that I think about it, Crossan also reminds me of “croissant.”

Hmm…with all of this in mind, I’m not personally a fan of Crossan, but I really like your son’s name, [name]Wyatt[/name] McMaster. [name]Wyatt[/name] McMaster is seriously awesome! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Honestly, I saw Croissant (maybe because I am hungry) when I first saw Crossan and pronounced it something similar to CROWS-sahn.

Is there an origin to this name? I too, am assuming you want to nn him [name]Cross[/name]? I thought that could be cute at first, (because how far off from [name]Chris[/name] is that?), but tend to agree with [name]Jill[/name] about [name]Cross[/name] sounding angry. I prefer [name]Christian[/name] as a name to Crossan.

Sorry, I am not really a fan. :frowning:

[name]Christian[/name] McMaster sounds nice! Or I think [name]Cross[/name] as a middle name would be nice.

Names that I think go well with [name]Wyatt[/name]:

[name]Beau[/name], [name]Cody[/name], [name]Colton[/name], [name]Dillon[/name], [name]Levi[/name], [name]Luke[/name], [name]Shane[/name], [name]Ty[/name], [name]Bryce[/name], [name]Travis[/name]…

What about [name]Dillon[/name] [name]Cross[/name] McMaster or [name]Levi[/name] [name]Cross[/name] McMaster?

Thanks, [name]Jill[/name]. All good late-night criticisms I hadn’t thought of. The Crossan I knew wasn’t strict or religious and his name never got abbreviated to [name]Cross[/name], so I hadn’t even thought of those insights. (Crossiant! Why didn’t I thinnnkkkk of that?!) I want a light-sounding (sunny?) name so it really helps to hear feedback such as Crossan being dire/heavy sounding.

I suppose I should also mention a few names I like in case anyone wants to offer any other [name]Wyatt[/name]-sibling suggestions. These would be much appreciated, by the way, as time is a’ticking and the unnamed fetus is a’readying…

[name]Sawyer[/name] (my fave, but husband says it’s creepy, maybe b/c he’s watched Lost? Boo.)
[name]Linden[/name] (have been told by a many people it’s feminine)
[name]Seamus[/name]
[name]Lochlan[/name] (neither of us are keen on the nickname “loch”)
[name]Finlay[/name] (a family name we like, but there way too many Finns already on our island)

Wow, great nocturnal feedback from folks. Thanks.

I think with boy #2 we’re trying to steer away from the ‘wild west’ names–so even though we like [name]Cody[/name] and [name]Carson[/name] okay, we’re ruling them out. Obviously [name]Wyatt[/name] has those wild west associations, and we like them, but don’t want to emphasize it as a family pattern.

I do like [name]Dylan[/name], but between us we know too many Dylans (Dillons) already.

No problem! :slight_smile: I’m really sorry I didn’t like Crossan, but if you love it, that’s what matters. :slight_smile:

I love your son’s rugged name, [name]Wyatt[/name] McMaster. :slight_smile: (I love saying it…)

Some more you may like:

[name]Bennett[/name] McMaster (has two Ts like [name]Wyatt[/name], though)
[name]Corbin[/name] McMaster
[name]Colin[/name] McMaster
[name]Curran[/name] McMaster (Irish, close to Crossan)
[name]Calvin[/name] McMaster
[name]Declan[/name] McMaster (cool Irish name…has [name]Lachlan[/name]'s feel to me…)
[name]Everett[/name] McMaster (double T theme, though…
[name]Finn[/name] McMaster (Oops! I forgot that this is too popular where you are.)
[name]Griffin[/name] McMaster (nn [name]Finn[/name])
[name]Hudson[/name] McMaster
[name]Jude[/name] McMaster
[name]Kellan[/name] McMaster
[name]Owen[/name] McMaster (popular in the U.S., but I’m not sure about where you are)
[name]Quinlan[/name] McMaster
[name]Rowan[/name] McMaster
[name]Reed[/name]/[name]Reid[/name] McMaster
[name]Rhys[/name] McMaster
[name]Vaughn[/name] McMaster (Wait! [name]Vaughn[/name] Mc… sounds a bit like “vomit”)
[name]Wilson[/name] McMaster

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

[name]Sawyer[/name] - I love this name, but it kind of goes along with the wild west theme. Alternatives to [name]Sawyer[/name] could be: [name]Tucker[/name], [name]Holden[/name], [name]Archer[/name], [name]Finn[/name], [name]Tate[/name], [name]Parker[/name], [name]Owen[/name], [name]Cooper[/name]…
[name]Linden[/name] - feminine to me. what about [name]Landon[/name]? [name]Max[/name], [name]Caleb[/name] or [name]Orion[/name]? [name]Easton[/name]?
[name]Lochlan[/name] - I have only seen this as [name]Lachlan[/name] (Scottish), nn could be Lachie or [name]Lockie[/name]. I like [name]Lachlan[/name].
[name]Seamus[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it. Also consider, [name]Declan[/name] (love), [name]Ronan[/name], [name]Duncan[/name] and [name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name] - I like [name]Finn[/name], but not really a [name]Finlay[/name] fan. I prefer [name]Finnegan[/name] or Phineaus.

Like any?

We have considered most of those, alas. I really do like [name]Declan[/name], [name]Holden[/name], and [name]Duncan[/name] (hmmm I sense an affinity for “n” endings…)–but my husband has too much association with [name]Duncan[/name] (his haywire childhood friend) and [name]Declan[/name] (messed-up family member).

I also like [name]Quinn[/name], but he replies “Queasy.” (why is it I can talk about a name for ten solid minutes but his dismissals seem to be one word? anyway…). Also in a picky way [name]Quinn[/name] and [name]Wyatt[/name] would be alphabet bottom-heavy.

[name]Jill[/name], I hadn’t thought of [name]Curran[/name]. I like it, but because it’s too similar to my name :slight_smile:

funny dotsmom, I prefer [name]Finnegan[/name] too–more rhythm & energy. But [name]Finlay[/name] would honor my mother-in-law (and mom to five boys), whose maiden name is Finlayson. Either way there are just too many Finns being born here now.

Are you wanting to go with a Celtic name?

[name]Alistair[/name]
[name]Angus[/name]
[name]Broderick[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Darby[/name]
[name]Dermot[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Eamon[/name] (one of my favs)
[name]Ewan[/name]
[name]Garrett[/name]
[name]Glenn[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Hamish[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Kieran[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Malachy[/name]
[name]Murphy[/name]
[name]Owen[/name] (like with [name]Wyatt[/name])
[name]Reid[/name]
[name]Rohan[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name] (like [name]Sawyer[/name])
[name]Tavis[/name]
[name]Teague[/name]

Let’s see what else, then:

[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Archer[/name] (Oops! Has the same ending as your last name…)
[name]Blaise[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name] (same ending as [name]Wyatt[/name], though)
[name]Cullen[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name] (a bit long with your last name, but I still like it) :slight_smile:
[name]Edward[/name] (nn [name]Teddy[/name])
[name]Flynn[/name] (less popular than [name]Finn[/name], and has [name]Linden[/name]'s linn sound)
[name]Franklin[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Grady[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name] (only if you’re a fan of alliteration, of course…Nickname [name]Cole[/name]) :slight_smile:
[name]Piers[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Tate[/name] (perhaps too close to [name]Wyatt[/name])
[name]Zane[/name]

[name]Edit[/name]: [name]Dot[/name]'s Mom and I posted at the same time, so I apologize for repeats. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I love [name]Wyatt[/name]! such a cool name.

I agree with the comments about Crossan but I love the an/on endings for boys names.

Other possibilities…

[name]Talon[/name] - nice and strong. I personally know a [name]Talyn[/name] with this spelling
[name]Corban[/name] - love this
[name]Callan[/name] - similar to Crossan but very individual. I personally know a boy with this name and he is cute!
[name]Dashiell[/name] ([name]Dash[/name]) very strong sounding
[name]Jet[/name] - goes well with [name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name] - This name is very trendy in Australia at the moment and it flows well with [name]Wyatt[/name]

Have fun finding the perfect name!

Thanks for all the name suggestions. It’s amazing how many names we’ve gone through…without agreement. Doubly amazing how easy it was for us to arrive at [name]Wyatt[/name] the first time round.

It doesn’t have to be a celtic name, but we tend to favor them. We live in a rather small place (island) and recently there are tons of Ronans, Rohans, Finns and Kierans toddling around. We also like [name]Liam[/name] and [name]Aidan[/name], but wanted something a little less common. Our close friends have a young [name]Owen[/name] so I’d feel a little strange taking that name.

[name]Eamon[/name]–I knew one and everyone used to say “Hey [name]Man[/name]” to him all day. Annoying.
[name]Blaise[/name]–I like it, but my husband seems to think it’s a girl’s name.
[name]Arlo[/name]–me likey. hubby no likey :frowning:
[name]Talon[/name] & [name]Griffin[/name]–menacing undertones? I think [name]Griffin[/name] could be a light name, but an amazing number of folks I’ve run it by associate it with gargoyles & darkness.
[name]Dashiell[/name]–[name]Dash[/name] would be great, but it’s the name of a dog friend we’ve had forever:(

Other names I like but hubby not so much: [name]Eli[/name], [name]Murray[/name], [name]Clancy[/name].

We are both still contemplating: [name]Seamus[/name] McMaster

Thanks for any suggestions, and for letting me share my name woes here. I keep wondering if we’ll know it when we come across The Name (which I thought was [name]Sawyer[/name]), or whether it will have to grow on us gradually in the next month. Or whether we might not find it until the babe is here? (pan in here: two parents hovered over a red squawking newborn pleading, “Tell us your name, okay kiddo? just TELL Us!”

That is so funny, I immediately thought of croissant/croissanwich too! But we’ve moved past that, I see. :slight_smile:

I like [name]Seamus[/name]! I had a friend in high school who was obsessed with all things Scottish and he was adamant that his son would be named [name]Seamus[/name]… no idea if he’s used it or not, we’re out of touch, but I’ll always have a soft spot for it!

Yes, crossanwich. Too bad I can’t change the subject heading here :slight_smile:

We both like the sound of Sea ([name]Shay[/name]/[name]Shea[/name]), which [name]Seamus[/name] would invariably get reduced to. Aside from the inevidible “how do you spell that?” and semen jokes it might draw, I’m just wondering if [name]Seamus[/name] is a name that a) tries too hard or b) isn’t rightfully ours. By that I only mean because we would be taking it out of its familiar country (we live in [name]Canada[/name])–and out of its time (since it isn’t even used frequently in [name]Ireland[/name] anymore) for that matter.

I’m so sorry you’re having such a rough time! I think that [name]Seamus[/name] is a very handsome name, and I don’t think you’d be taking it of its familiar place if you use it. (Before he changed his name, I believe that [name]Mia[/name] Farrow named her son [name]Seamus[/name].)

With McMaster, though, I’m thinking that [name]Shay[/name] McMaster sounds a bit like the word “shame” when I say it out loud, because the M from your last name attaches to the ending of the first name. (It may just be me, though.) :slight_smile:

This also may just be me, but when I say [name]Seamus[/name] McMaster out loud, it kind of sounds like I’m saying, “[name]Shame[/name] us, my master.” Hmm…

I never thought about the semen jokes you mentioned, but I think that’s a really good point to consider.

Hmm…This is tough! I’m sorry that [name]Finlay[/name] is so popular, because I think that’s a great family name.

Let’s see (and my apologies for repeats):

[name]Anderson[/name] McMaster
[name]Blake[/name] McMaster
[name]Byron[/name] McMaster
[name]Cassius[/name] McMaster (nn [name]Cash[/name], and has [name]Seamus[/name]’ sound)
[name]Camden[/name] McMaster (the name of a dangerous US city, though)
[name]Cameron[/name] McMaster
[name]Elias[/name] McMaster
[name]Leo[/name] McMaster
[name]Lorcan[/name] (Irish name along the lines of [name]Linden[/name])
[name]Lowell[/name] McMaster
[name]Orson[/name] McMaster
[name]Orion[/name] McMaster
[name]Quentin[/name] McMaster
[name]Sullivan[/name] McMaster (a bit long, though)
[name]Samson[/name] McMaster
[name]Theo[/name] McMaster
[name]Redmond[/name] (kind of M heavy with your last name)

What names does your husband like?

You’ll find the perfect name, SloppyArt, so don’t worry! :slight_smile:

It’s not my favorite. You’ve got a great last name, esp for boys! Sounds very strong :slight_smile:

I absolutely love your last name!
I think [name]Seamus[/name] is a great name, but yes… after reading the posts I do think a little of “shame”… Maybe it’s just because your last name has such a strong, stern sound.

I adore the name [name]Linden[/name]-- so beautiful! I have a soft spot for softer boy’s names, but I actually think it goes quite nicely with [name]Wyatt[/name]. Because your last name is so strong, I think you can easily get away with much softer boy’s names.

[name]Lochlan[/name]-- also love love love! A slightly stronger L name than [name]Linden[/name] if that’s something you are looking for.

Crossan actually made me think of a the name [name]Cassian[/name] ("[name]CASH[/name]-an").

A couple other C-names to consider (I have a lot of experience in C boy names!):
[name]Conlan[/name]
[name]Cian[/name]
[name]Carden[/name]
[name]Caedmon[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
Covin
[name]Corwin[/name]
Cowan
[name]Corin[/name]

Good luck!

What about [name]Kai[/name] [name]Sawyer[/name] McMaster?

Other suggestions:

[name]Brady[/name]
[name]Brody[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Stellan[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]

Sorry for any repeats. I couldn’t remember all the suggestions. Good luck finding the perfect name!

I just wanted to say that I know the most adorable little boy named [name]Lyndon[/name] and I didnt think that it was girly, I actually came around to really liking the name, and in your case I think [name]Linden[/name] sounds really good with your last name and big brothers Wyatts name, and if you spell it [name]Lyndon[/name] I think it goes really sweetly with [name]Wyatt[/name].