Crushing on Chamomile

Thoughts? I have it as a middle in quite a few combos that have stuck around for a good while on my lists. Would it be outlandish as a first (I mean, I know the answer is yes, but in the scheme of picks for me, how far out is it…?)??

DH has decided he is set against [name_f]Camilla[/name_f]/[name_u]Camille[/name_u]. He is borderline for [name_f]Camellia[/name_f]. But when I mention [name_f]Chamomile[/name_f], he almost always likes the combo.

1 Like

Hmm. I’m not quite sure how I feel about [name_f]Chamomile[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] instinct was to like it for a middle name but not a first, however, I do think it could work for a first. I don’t like the “camo” sounding syllable, but it doesn’t bring to mind the associations that come along with that, either. Something like [name_f]Chamomile[/name_f] [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] would be really lovely. [name_f]Chamomile[/name_f] does feel like one of those names that would be a bit cumbersome in real life, though. It’s just not a word or name that flows off the tongue quite easily, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t useable.

Okay, my final verdict seems to be that it is outlandish, but indeed useable!

1 Like

I think [name_f]Chamomile[/name_f] could work as a first name, it does share a lot of sounds with [name_u]Camille[/name_u], which I think would give it some familiarity? [name_f]My[/name_f] biggest concern is that as a first name, it might be mistaken for [name_u]Camille[/name_u], because again, they do share a lot of sounds. Not sure if that would bother you or not, but it’s something to think about, I guess?

Otherwise, [name_f]Chamomile[/name_f] seems usable imo - it’s out there for sure, but familiar enough that it doesn’t feel that far-fetched!

I think it’s really soft, sweet and pretty. I really like it. It’s on my GP middles list, but for you I think it absolutely works as a first!

I agree with this. It doesn’t feel outlandish at all to me, just little used, because:

1. It’s a nature/flower/herb name, and those are widely used;

2. It sounds like [name_u]Camille[/name_u], [name_f]Camilla[/name_f], even kind of like [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], which makes it feel more accessible;

3. It’s got such a soft, understated sound. It doesn’t jump around screaming “look at me!” like something like [name_f]Tigerlily[/name_f], [name_f]Tzipporah[/name_f] or [name_f]Scheherazade[/name_f] does (I love those too, by the way, but just for the purposes of comparison).

I wonder if you’re (consciously or subconsciously) drawn to this one because it’s a little bit reminiscent of [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]… :thinking:

2 Likes

Chamomile is so calming - familiar but bold

1 Like

I agree, [name_f]Chamomile[/name_f] is such a calm name! Especially because of the association with the herb.

1 Like

Widely used as a tea.

I definitely think it works as a middle, but personally I’d be hesitant to use it as a first. Honestly, I think the tea association may be a bit too strong, and I’m not sure I’d appreciate being named [name_f]Chamomile[/name_f] very much myself.

However, I think [name_f]Chamomile[/name_f] has a lovely sound and it fits nicely with the names in your user card - it seems very much your style! - so, ultimately, I think it could work depending on how much you and your husband decide you like the name.

1 Like

I’m not sure where you’re from which might impact how you say it but the ‘meal’ sound is very off putting to me

The nn options make this usable for me. It has quite a lovely sound, but the “mom” part turns me off it a little. It’s one of those little things that most people wouldn’t notice. (I have the same issue with [name_f]Chrysanthe[/name_f]mum.)

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to rewrite your initial comment. It’ll help when I’m sure to come back to the thread in a few months while contemplating again. :two_hearts:

1 Like

Of course! I wasn’t sure if you saw it the first time!

1 Like

As a witch and an herbalist, I am honestly over the moon to see someone considering [name_f]Chamomile[/name_f] as a name!! It’s much more accessible than a lot of the more unusual herb and botanical names because it’s similar in sound to [name_u]Camille[/name_u] and has easy and wearable nickname options - [name_u]Cam[/name_u], [name_f]Cami[/name_f], [name_u]Mo[/name_u], [name_f]Millie[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], etc.

Chamomile is used in herbal medicine for emotional distress, nausea, sinus infections, muscle spasms, minor scrapes and bruises, and overwrought nerves. It’s a mild sedative and has very soothing, calming properties. In magic, chamomile is used to bring restful sleep and insightful dreams, to purify and protect, and to enhance luck or beauty spells. It’s a very nurturing plant spirit and would make an incredible namesake!

2 Likes