Crystal Ball: What might your grandchildren be named?

I always wonder what names my future grandchildren might have. I try to be realistic about it, deciphering what names were popular in my parents generation, since those will sound fresh when my kids are naming their kids. The 100-year rule is a good indicator, too. You can also try to figure out names that might be popular based on today’s pop culture. So, what might your grandchildren (or great-grandchildren, if you’re really adventurous!) be named?

Popular Baby Names <<— SSA List (very helpful!)

I’ll go first:

If they like 50s names, I’d be thrilled with these:
[name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Peggy[/name]
[name]Suzanna[/name] nn [name]Suzy[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name] nn [name]Dotty[/name]
[name]Russell[/name] nn [name]Rusty[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]

If they followed the 100-year rule, and loved the letter R:
[name]Roy[/name]
[name]Ralph[/name]
[name]Ray[/name]
[name]Roger[/name]
[name]Rita[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]

My oldest swears she’s never having kids but she certainly has an opinion about names.
If she had children and named them the names she loved today they would be -
[name]Sydney[/name]
[name]Wren[/name]
[name]Margo[/name]
[name]Logan[/name] is the only boy name I remember her suggesting.
Because books are her life I can see having these grandsons-
[name]Harry[/name]
[name]Ron[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Jacob[/name]

My 5 year old said if she could change her name to anything it would be [name]Rainbow[/name] [name]Star[/name] “but you can call me [name]BoBo[/name]” . We may want to skip her suggestions.
Well she does love the name [name]Lucas[/name] for some reason.

Other names my girls have shown interest in are names like -
[name]Heather[/name]
[name]Amber[/name]

Hmm, interesting! Well, I don’t have children yet, but probably will have popped some out in 5-10 years. So let’s say they’ll be about 25-35 when they have kids, which would put them (according to the 100 year rule) somewhere around the 1940-1950, mark. Let’s see… (I’m just doing ones from the top 20)…

I’d like these picks…
[name]James[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]

[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]

And I’d hate these…
[name]Donald[/name]
[name]Ronald[/name]
[name]Larry[/name]
[name]Jerry[/name]
[name]Kenneth[/name] (this is probably one of my most HATED name, uggghhh)
[name]Gary[/name]
[name]Dennis[/name]

[name]Barbara[/name]
[name]Shirley[/name]
[name]Nancy[/name]
[name]Joan[/name]
[name]Sharon[/name]
[name]Linda[/name]
[name]Pamela[/name] (sorry guys!)
[name]Deborah[/name]

I just asked my daughter what she would name her children. Here is her list:

Boys
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Luke[/name] (I think she said [name]Luke[/name])
[name]Lazar[/name], a form of [name]Lazarus[/name]

Girls
[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]

You know as well as I do that this list is bound to change!

Who knows what my son will name his kids? I know he loves the name [name]Jack[/name], so maybe there will be a commotion over [name]Jack[/name]. He also loves [name]Leopold[/name]. I don’t know what girls’ names he loves. He does have an amazing girlfriend.

My 11-year-old daughter wants to name her future daughter
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Jane[/name].

My 11-year-old daughter, [name]Rebecca[/name], is planning her future children’s names. It is so cute to see her do this! She is excited with her list of names:

1. [name]Paul[/name] [name]Isaac[/name]” ([name]Isaac[/name] is the mn of a boy she likes. [name]Paul[/name] is the mn of the father of the boy she likes, and she wants to use a name from his side of the family too.)
  2. [name]Julia[/name] [name]Jane[/name] (nn [name]Julie[/name])”. [name]Jane[/name] is her middle name, as well as mine and my late mother”s mn.
  3. [name]Drake[/name] [name]August[/name]… She said she is determined to fulfill the promise I made (but was unable to keep) to my grandfather, [name]August[/name], to name a son after him. I think this is just so sweet.
  4. [name]Annabelle[/name] [name]Claire[/name] (nn [name]Anna[/name]) – [name]Claire[/name] is the mn of her aunt (my twin sister)

I already know what my grandchildren’s names are gonna be…at least for right now :slight_smile: my six year old daughter informed me outside one day that her children’s names were going to be [name]Tommy[/name] and [name]Rosie[/name]. When I asked her about full names (and I explained what full names were to her) she decided on:

[name]Thomas[/name] [name]Grady[/name] “tommy”
&
[name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Violet[/name] “rosie”

I am not kidding- I came here to post this topic! Well, you know what they say about great names!

My grands will be born roughly around the time of my grandmother and her seven sisters! So if my kids decide to fuel off our family tree-

[name]Billie[/name] [name]Jean[/name]
[name]Peggy[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] ([name]Elizabeth[/name] is a mn on my list)
[name]Hala[/name] Maryilynn
[name]Betty[/name] [name]Ann[/name] (my grandmere)
[name]Margeret[/name] [name]Carol[/name]
[name]Sharon[/name] [name]Gale[/name]
[name]Patricia[/name] [name]Faye[/name] ([name]Faye[/name] is on my list as a nn for [name]Fallon[/name])
[name]Mildred[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] (I know.)

Well, lets see, I will probably be having kids in about 10 - 15 years, so that puts them at around 2020 - 2035. So names from the 20’s and 30’s I’ll say.

Girls -

[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]

Boys -

[name]Albert[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]

Or maybe new wacky names will come into style inspired by celeberities. Names like [name]Midnight[/name], [name]Juno[/name] and Elix are always possibilities!

Bounce

Great idea, [name]Lyndsey[/name] - what an intereting thread!

I really hope that I’ll get a grandaughter named [name]Sophie[/name]. I love that name, but it is so, so popular - as I won’t start having children for around 10 years, perhaps my youngest grandchild will be born far enough in the future that [name]Sophie[/name]'s come around again, but isn’t popular yet. I can dream!

So, if I have children in 10 years’ time, and they have their own children aged around 30, that takes us to 2050 (wow!). I used the SSA list, but I suppose it’ll be a little different since I’m in [name]England[/name].

So names from the 1950s - I’d be really happy with these (I actually found three on the girls’ 1950s list that I’m planning on using myself as middles, so I discounted those) :
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Janet[/name]
[name]Julie[/name] (hopefully a nn for [name]Julia[/name]/[name]Juliet[/name])
[name]Bonnie[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] (I think the nn [name]Plum[/name] is ingenious and adorable)
[name]Wendy[/name] (nn for [name]Gwendolyn[/name], maybe?)
[name]Penny[/name] (nn for [name]Penelope[/name])
[name]Rosemary[/name].

I love [name]Marjorie[/name], too, which strikes me as quite 50s :slight_smile:

For boys, the same classics seem to stay at the most popular, but for quintessentially 1950s I think [name]Herbert[/name] nn [name]Herb[/name] could be fun.

If my children are anything like me, their naming choices will stray (extremely far) into the unusual, though, so I’m likely way out!

[name]Auburn[/name]

If we do go “[name]Zenon[/name]” I think I would like-

[name]Onyx[/name]
[name]Jax[/name]
[name]Zeke[/name]
[name]Rock[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Mel[/name]
Mirza
[name]Janice[/name]
Elo
[name]Royce[/name]