Culture - books, music, film, art

I saw in another thread people chatting about films and books that had a big influence on them and I thought it was such a cool topic, and that it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to talking about these things, particularly given how many Berries seem to be interested in languages/books etc.

What are some of these that have influenced you in some way? Why?

For me I found the [name_m]Black[/name_m] Mirror tv series really got me thinking. I feel like books that have had a big impact have been the well known ones - 1984, The Handmaid’s Tale, To Kill a Mockingbird… I know there have been many many others but for some reason I can’t think of them off-hand.

My all-time favourite film is [name_m]Pan[/name_m]’s Labyrinth, the way it weaves horror and courage with fairytale. [name_u]Jojo[/name_u] Rabbit was incredible, horrible but wonderful. [name_m]Wall[/name_m]-E also really spoke to me. Rabbit Proof Fence was saddening, and a terrifying realisation how recently those events occured. In [name_f]My[/name_f] Father’s [name_m]Den[/name_m] is another movie I love.

Music I listened to a lot of [name_u]Tracy[/name_u] Chapman and The Cranberries at a young age because I was given a heap of her CDs by a friend of my parents who was moving overseas. I love how there are many songs in there about things OTHER than sex/love/relationships! I still love their music, though it’s not necessarily my favourite, it’s up there.

2 Likes

Books - [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] was the novel that set me on the path to an Eng Lit degree when I read it at 13. Granted, I eventually did joint honours with [name_m]History[/name_m], but the thought was there. Other books that have had an impact: Animal Farm, Noughts & Crosses, The Great [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m] and the Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]. I’m on a bit of a non-fiction kick right now which is lovely and I like learning new things.

TV/Film - I’m not really a TV/Film kinda person. I grew up on books rather than screens (barely watched any Disney films for instance, which tends to get me some stick!) Some shows that really stick in my mind are Life on [name_u]Mars[/name_u]/Ashes to Ashes, Classic [name_u]Doctor[/name_u] Who and Skins.

Music - I grew up on my Dad’s music and I still love it. [name_f]Queen[/name_f], Led [name_m]Zeppelin[/name_m], [name_m]Fleetwood[/name_m] [name_m]Mac[/name_m], the Fratellis, Supergrass, Pulp, [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]David[/name_m] [name_u]Bowie[/name_u]… list is endless. Other music I love: The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Blossoms, the 1975, the Kooks, Two Door Cinema Club. I used to be a proper screamo kid but would then listen to One Direction on the down low so I guess my music wasn’t as set in stone as I thought!

I might think on this and come back to it later, but I just wanted to respond that [name_u]Jojo[/name_u] Rabbit was absolutely incredible!

I’m so glad there is a thread for this, because I’ve been dying to talk about [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] [name_m]Hitchcock[/name_m]'s movies! I don’t know how I didn’t get into his stuff earlier, but wow. He made some incredible films! Here’s a ranked list of all of the Hitchcocks I’ve seen so far!

1. Notorious
  2. North by Northwest
  3. Dial M for Murder
  4. To Catch a Thief
  5. Shadow of a Doubt
  6. Rear Window
  7. Vertigo
  8. The Birds

[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] is next on the list!

1 Like

I remember loving [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] as a child when I watched it with my mum and I’m not normally a [name_m]Hitchcock[/name_m] fan. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] you like it as much as I did!

2 Likes

This is so crazy. I was just about to start a thread of favorite movies and I saw this :slight_smile:

I like so many different types of movies from classic black and whites (I love TCM) and film noir. From comedies to scary movies (not so much gore style horror but psychological ones). I like dramas and thrillers. Sometimes I am in the mood for romance and sometimes action. I love [name_u]Science[/name_u] Fiction and some super heroes although I do prefer the sort of science fact based ones more, like ones that delve into artificial intelligence say, or what would happen if an alien life form did come to earth (like Arrival). I love shows like Person of Interest and Westworld for example, and alternate universe and alternate history too.

Here is the list of movies I made although I know I have left some off.

Titanic (probably my all time favorite. I even wanted red hair like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] for a while :slight_smile: and really wish they had made a sequel of her life post-Titanic based around all the pictures you saw of her at the end. She was very inspirational to me.)
Devil Wears Prada
All about [name_f]Eve[/name_f]
Brief Encounter
The Birds
Crocodile [name_m]Dundee[/name_m]
[name_m]Ferris[/name_m] [name_m]Bueller[/name_m]’s [name_u]Day[/name_u] Off
The Firm
What’s up [name_m]Doc[/name_m]
Freaky [name_m]Friday[/name_m]
Gremlins
The Imitation Game
[name_u]Les[/name_u] Miserables (the musical)
Jumani (the new one)
[name_m]Little[/name_m] Women (1994)
Mean Girls
Freaky [name_m]Friday[/name_m]
Moneyball (not that much of a baseball fan but I like the math)
Parent Trap (1961)
Uncle [name_m]Buck[/name_m]
[name_f]Wonder[/name_f] Woman (2017)

1 Like

@MG1257 These are a great list. All of them are classics. I can watch these again and again. I like [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] and [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f] Paltrow in The Game which is like a modern remake of Dial M for Murder.

Rebecca is great. And don’t forget Rear Window.

1 Like

@emelfem I actually have been rereading Animal Farm, the [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] series (from start to finish) and Pride and Prejudice this year. I have started War and [name_u]Peace[/name_u] (which is a goal). But I am thinking of rereading Wuthering Heights and [name_f]Tess[/name_f] of the D’Urbervilles next. [name_m]Just[/name_m] before COVID and shut downs, [name_m]Barnes[/name_m] and [name_u]Noble[/name_u] had a big sale on their paperback classics series where they were $5 each and I totally geeked out on buying about 30 books. I know I could have got them on [name_f]Kindle[/name_f] or Nook cheaper but I still like reading paper books sometimes as I work on screens nearly all day, Some of them are so long that I probably have two years or more of reading ahead of me now. I do like non-fiction too though, especially history.

My Dad got me into some rock bands of the 70s too. I like Deep Purple and Whitesnake (saw them live). I also like some of [name_m]David[/name_m] [name_u]Bowie[/name_u] and [name_m]Fleetwood[/name_m] [name_m]Mac[/name_m], some songs from The Who and the Rolling Stones. But I also discovered some Irish bands, like Clannad and [name_f]Enya[/name_f] (who I think was with Clannad at some point). I like instrumentals too, like classical music and soundtracks… I often work to epic type soundtracks (the score from [name_f]Wonder[/name_f] Woman, 2017 is one of my favorites at the moment).

Oh shoot! I’ve already seen Rear Window, I somehow forgot to list it! I’ll add it to my ranking!

1 Like

omg i love this thread!

Books: I read The Alchemist before every teenager in the world did (I know, I’m fashion forward) and it was instantly my favorite book. Now, it’s become so popular that I have trouble saying how much I like it. Last year, I read The Kite Runner for school, and immediately bought the other two Hosseini books because it was just so beautiful! Then, there’s The [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] and The Goldfinch, both of which I read last summer and loved so much. The only thing this year that I love has been [name_u]Dune[/name_u], which was super surprising since I usually avoid sci-fi at all costs. I’m reading 1984 now, though, and I have high hopes!

TV/Film: I’m the biggest movie person ever (go check out my letterboxd @lostinmorocco lol) and my favorite film is Almost Famous. It quite literally changed my life. If anyone ever wants to talk movies, I tend to be the person to find. I didn’t watch disney either, @emelfem, but my parents had us watch tons of [name_m]Hitchcock[/name_m] movies and [name_u]Christie[/name_u] adaptations when we were little, which I think contributes to my love of academia and [name_f]Donna[/name_f] Tartt haha.

Music: With the glaring exception of country music, [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] [name_f]Grande[/name_f], and [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] [name_m]Swift[/name_m], I tend to like all music. With my sister, I listen to rap, with my mom 70s and 80s, and with my dad new indie stuff. [name_f]My[/name_f] main playlists are pretty eclectic, but I have a lasting love for [name_f]Pet[/name_f] Sounds from the [name_u]Beach[/name_u] Boys, everything from [name_m]Simon[/name_m] and Garfunkel and [name_m]Elton[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m], and Rumours from [name_m]Fleetwood[/name_m] [name_m]Mac[/name_m].

yesss I love [name_m]Hitchcock[/name_m]! Six year old me was completely addicted to Rear Window haha.

2 Likes

I would have posted this before but I had to wait for someone else to post as I hit a no more than three consecutive reply limit :slight_smile:

@Kiriko thanks for starting this thread. I love it.

I tried to get into [name_m]Black[/name_m] Mirror but have not been able to yet. I love the concept but it’s just not grabbing me as a show. But Person of Interest was like that for me at the start and then I suddenly switched into binge watching mode.

I love the Cranberries too. I found this very haunting instrumental cover of Zombie on You Tube. I was not going to mention the bagpipes but the link shows them :slight_smile:

That reminds me, has anyone watched Homecoming on Amazon Prime? One of the most thrilling shows I’ve ever seen. Such interesting cinematography and sound too. The score is taken from different classic horror movies!

1 Like

@anniebrown01 I had not but I will check that out. Thanks for the recommendation

1 Like

Film, books, music, and art have made such an impact on my life.

My favorite film will always be The Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f], because of the fond memories I have of watching it as a little girl. It never fails to make me feel better.

Television is one of my favorite things in life. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite shows are Call the Midwife, Mad Men, The Handmaid’s Tale, American Horror [name_u]Story[/name_u], Friends, and How I Met Your Mother. I love the artistic nature of cinematography, and the immense talent of actors whose craft transforms you into the scene.

Art has also made a big impact on me. I have a tattoo of [name_u]Van[/name_u] Gogh’s Irises because of the story behind it. He found something beautiful during a dark time, and I wanted to have a permanent reminder to do the same.

My favorite musical artists are The Lumineers and [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] [name_m]Swift[/name_m]. Both have gotten me through difficult seasons in my life, and for that they will always have a special place in my heart. [name_m]Fleetwood[/name_m] [name_m]Mac[/name_m]’s Rumors album is also very important to me.

Anyone who has heard my talk about why my favorite names are what they are knows how much literature means to me. The Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f], [name_m]Gilead[/name_m], and [name_f]Beloved[/name_f] are some of my favorite books, and all of them continue to inspire me daily.

2 Likes

I love movies! I have a list of movies that have been recommended to me by friends and family that is over 300 long but I’m slowly chipping away at it. I have another list of movies I think everyone should see that is close to 100. [name_f]My[/name_f] all time favorite movies are the Pirates of the Caribbean, Spider-[name_m]Man[/name_m]: Homecoming, and the Kingsman but there are SO many more. I often latch on to an actor and go through their filmography for a while until I get bored or can’t access the movies. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom and I are watching a ton of [name_m]Brad[/name_m] [name_m]Pitt[/name_m] movies right now and I’m ranking them which is actually really fun (I’m up to 21).

TV is also important to me. I used to watch the Walking Dead on repeat (I’ve seen season 2 at least 13 times and season 1 episode 2 even more) but I stopped watching the new episodes closely following the death of my favorite character Glenn Rhee. I also love umbrella Academy (just finished season 2), Once Upon a Time, Lost, [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] 99, Supernatural, The 100, Stranger Things, and Chilling Adventures of [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f].

I don’t really read books anymore after AP lit burned me out. When I did read for enjoyment I loved stereotypical young adult literature like Divergent, Hunger Games and [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Green[/name_u] books. I carried the Fault in Our Stars in my backpack for a year.

I’m not a classic art fan but I enjoy painting, myself. I spent a whole summer painting rocks and even made a rock painting Instagram. I still do that on occasion but I really enjoy painting plant pots now. They are usually inspired by my favorite things anyway.

I am always listening to music. I used to play Euphonium and actually enjoy listening to movie scores while studying. I also love Panic! At the Disco, [name_u]Billie[/name_u] [name_f]Eilish[/name_f], [name_m]Jason[/name_m] Derulo, [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m], Palaye [name_m]Royale[/name_m], [name_m]Elton[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m] and Waterparks.

2 Likes