Curious About Southern Names

Not being American, I’m curious as to what people from the US would class as a Southern name? I know that there have been other threads about this, but the names supplied seem to be quite eclectic … any opinions as to what makes a name truly Southern, and examples, would be appreciated!

I found this, I don’t know if it will help you or not.

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-[name]History[/name]-of-Traditional-Southern-[name]Baby[/name]-Names&id=454696

Hmm, Southern names. Let’s see . . .

[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Carolina[/name]/[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Virginia[/name] (all obvious)

[name]Anne[/name]
[name]Auburn[/name]
[name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Blanche[/name]
[name]Della[/name]
[name]Ginny[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Marilyn[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Renee[/name]
[name]Seraphine[/name]

[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Emerson[/name]
[name]Francis[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Lloyd[/name]
[name]Louis[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Tate[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name]

Those just all seem Southern to me.

I know this thread isn’t brand new but I felt obligated to answer this, as a Southerner. For the most part, today’s Southern children’s names are no different than anywhere else. My daughter has friends names [name]Lila[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Nora[/name], etc., and of course there are the ubiquitous Cadens, Aidens, and Jacksons. There are a few differences, however. In the South, double named girls are quite common. [name]Mary[/name] [name]Kate[/name], [name]Molly[/name] [name]Claire[/name], and [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Grace[/name] are all examples of this trend. Traditional names like [name]Robert[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], and [name]George[/name] have always held more of a consistent place in baby naming in the South because more people name their children after family members. Finally, the surname trend is alive and well in the South, only not so trendy. Along with the universal Parkers, Tanners. etc. you will find Gates, [name]Bowen[/name], [name]Carlisle[/name], and Marriott, and any of those will be used for boys or girls. We know little girls named [name]Gray[/name] and [name]Judson[/name].

Thank you all - the article was fascinating, as was hearing from an actual Southerner (I adore the name [name]Phoebe[/name], by the way, Phoebesmom).