Current list for baby girl, top name is Elinor Cait

My name is [name]Danielle[/name] “[name]Danie[/name]”, and my husband is [name]Jason[/name]. I recently found out that I am pregnant with a baby girl. So, I’ve been a name nerd since I was a teenager(although I am new to this site), but now I’m finally pregnant with my own child and I have no idea what to name her because there’s too many names I like. Girl names have always been my “specialty”, which makes it even harder to choose.

The only big contender so far is [name]Elinor[/name]. It honors my gran, [name]Lenora[/name], and [name]Jason[/name] and I both really love the nns [name]Ellie[/name] or [name]Nell[/name]/[name]Nellie[/name]. I would even be fine with [name]Norrie[/name], but [name]Jason[/name] doesn’t like that one as much. We picked this spelling, because for some reason I really like the letter “I” in names and [name]Eleanor[/name], although classic, does not appeal to me as much. The middle name would most likely be [name]Cait[/name], to honor both of our Irish heritages. Originally it was [name]Kate[/name], but [name]Kate[/name] seemed too nickname-y for me, so I chose [name]Cait[/name]. I also have a cousin named [name]Caitlin[/name] who I am very close too, so that would honor her. So, [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Cait[/name], what do you think?

Another name we like is [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]. [name]Virgil[/name] was the name of [name]Jason[/name]'s uncle that he was very close to. The only problem? He wants [name]Virgie[/name] to be the nn, while I want [name]Ginnie[/name] or [name]Ginna[/name]. I know I should let him have his way on this one if we do use it, because Uncle [name]Virgil[/name] was very special to him and he went by [name]Virgie[/name]. But still, I can’t stand having [name]Virgie[/name] be my daughter’s nickname. [name]Ginnie[/name] and [name]Ginna[/name] though, I love. [name]Maeve[/name] is another Irish name we like.

Another thing, I’ve been thinking about having two middle names for my daughter, and [name]Jason[/name] is fine with this. He says he really loves the name [name]Ruby[/name], so I was thinking [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Cait[/name] or [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Maeve[/name].

Also, [name]Jason[/name] says he likes [name]Eva[/name]. I pronounce it ee-vuh, like anyone else would. But he says eh-vuh, with a short E. I have to admit, his pronunciation is quite pretty and I actually like it; after all, [name]Evelyn[/name] is eh-vuh-lin, never ee-vuh-lin. ( I don’t like [name]Evelyn[/name], or any other -lyn names. That’s why we aren’t considering [name]Evelyn[/name], and [name]Jason[/name] doesn’t love it either.) But [name]Eva[/name] as eh-vuh would be so confusing. He also says [name]Ava[/name] as ah-va or a-vuh, the A is like in apple for the second one and like auction for the first. I say ay-vuh, but [name]Ava[/name] isn’t really one we are considering. What if I spell it Ehva? [name]Way[/name] too weird. [name]Elva[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name] I love, but [name]Jason[/name] doesn’t like them.

Other names I like:

[name]Dinah[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name] [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Lucille[/name] [name]Rose[/name], or [name]Lucille[/name] [name]Dove[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] or [name]Cora[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Susanna[/name] or [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] or [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Gemma[/name] or [name]Violet[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] or [name]Violet[/name] [name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Cora[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Luna[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Maria[/name] or [name]Helen[/name] [name]Rose[/name]–[name]Jason[/name] is 100 % NO on [name]Helen[/name], but I really love it. Oh well…
[name]Rosa[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]–same as [name]Helen[/name].
[name]Gemma[/name] [name]Scarlet[/name], [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Violet[/name], [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Priscilla[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
The three above I like, but don’t have a middle name for.
And I love both of SJP’s names, [name]Tabitha[/name] and [name]Loretta[/name]. [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Loretta[/name] [name]June[/name] are my picks for thoses.

[name]Jason[/name]'s list—very different from mine.

[name]Erica[/name] [name]Paige[/name]
[name]Cheyenne[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Mallory[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Danielle[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Paige[/name] [name]Lenora[/name] or [name]Paige[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] or [name]Paige[/name] [name]Melissa[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name] [name]Virginia[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name] [name]Lynn[/name]–ugh, NOT [name]Lynn[/name]. Hate it.
[name]Clarissa[/name] [name]Jane[/name]—not [name]Jane[/name] either, too plain.
[name]Skye[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Narcissa[/name] [name]Rose[/name]–rather scary
[name]Rubina[/name] [name]Nicole[/name]–also a bit scary
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Rose[/name]—too cutesy
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Paige[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Alice[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Nicole[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Cheyenne[/name]
[name]Emily[/name] [name]Brooke[/name]
[name]Megan[/name] [name]Paige[/name]

And two that we both love, along with [name]Elinor[/name] ([name]Ruby[/name]) [name]Cait[/name] and [name]Virginia[/name] ([name]Ruby[/name]) [name]Maeve[/name] are

[name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

Sorry if its too long, but I had so many things to say.

Thanks for all help,

[name]Danie[/name] <3

Congratulations!

I vote for the following combinations on your lists:

*[name]Erica[/name] [name]Paige[/name]
*[name]Clarissa[/name] [name]Jane[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Clarissa[/name]. Since you don’t like [name]Jane[/name], how about [name]Clarissa[/name] [name]June[/name] or [name]Clarissa[/name] [name]Joan[/name] or [name]Clarissa[/name] [name]Danielle[/name]?
*[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
*[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Susanna[/name] (some reservations about [name]Hazel[/name] for a little girl, but love the combo)
*[name]Dinah[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
*[name]Violet[/name] [name]Georgia[/name]
*[name]Cora[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]
*[name]Loretta[/name] [name]June[/name]
*[name]Virginia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] - I think the nickname [name]Virgie[/name] (as opposed to the other nicknames) would inspire teasing.
*[name]Elinor[/name] [name]Cait[/name] - I love the sound of the name; however, she will need to spell her name for everyone. The name obviously holds a lot of sentiment for you.

Another name to consider: [name]Susanna[/name] [name]Danielle[/name]

Okay, [name]Danie[/name], this is a lot to respond to, so I’ll try my best. My first, and most important, question is what is the surname? This can help me assess the flow of your names.

1. [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Cait[/name] - I think [name]Elinor[/name] is a great classic for any age, and the nickname [name]Ellie[/name], though popular, really makes it feel young and comfy. However, I adore [name]Nell[/name] as the nickname, and would certainly choose it! I love that [name]Cait[/name] honors your Irish heritage, and I far prefer it to the nickname, [name]Kate[/name]. [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Cate[/name] is nice, though, too. I liked your idea of [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Cait[/name] as well, but I need to see how this would flow with a last name, and [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Katharine[/name] might be better…

2. [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] - I like this, I think it has great vintage charm, but I think it is still accessible today! However, [name]Virgie[/name] as a nickname is a HUGE no-no for me - it sounds like virgin! [name]Ginny[/name] is so much cuter. If you can’t agree on a good nickname, I would say goodbye to [name]Virginia[/name]…

3. [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Rose[/name] - I like this combination, but [name]Rose[/name] seems commonplace and [name]Vivienne[/name] isn’t my personal favorite. I like your other ideas much better!

4. [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Grace[/name] - Most who know me on Nameberry know that I love classics, especially [name]Charlotte[/name]! It was the name of my favorite doll growing up, and it is still on my top 2 list today. However, I didn’t like [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Grace[/name] when [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Michelle[/name] Gellar and [name]Freddie[/name] [name]Prinze[/name] chose it for their daughter last year, and I still don’t care for it. It has absolutely no wow-factor, and you have so many great names! What about [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Grace[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Grace[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Claire[/name], or something?

Now, I just want to mention a few names that stood out from your and [name]Jason[/name]'s lists. From your list, I liked [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Ramona[/name] a good deal, and [name]Cecilia[/name] - but I would prefer [name]Cecily[/name]! For [name]Cecily[/name], if you like it, you might like [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Rose[/name], or some other combination. From [name]Jason[/name]'s list, I loved [name]Lydia[/name] (my absolute favorite!) and [name]Miranda[/name], but I didn’t care for their middle names, per se. You might suggest to him [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Rose[/name], [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Claire[/name], or [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] [name]May[/name]. For [name]Miranda[/name], I’d suggest [name]Miranda[/name] [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Claire[/name], [name]Miranda[/name] [name]Cait[/name] [name]Elinor[/name], [name]Miranda[/name] [name]Lenore[/name] [name]Vivian[/name], and [name]Miranda[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Rose[/name].

Best of luck to you, [name]Danie[/name] (& [name]Jason[/name]), and congratulations on the baby!

I’m not sure if name popularity matters to you, but I know a few baby Eleanors and a lot of baby girls with names starting in “e”. A lot of them have the nickname [name]Ellie[/name]. I like [name]Virginia[/name] a lot and think it’s less trendy, as well. There are many beautiful names on your list :slight_smile:

[name]Elinor[/name] [name]Cait[/name]: I love [name]Elinor[/name], but I’m confused about [name]Cait[/name]. I guess I’m not understanding how [name]Cait[/name] (which is apparently a nickname for [name]Caitriona[/name], the Irish form of [name]Katherine[/name]) is any less of a nickname than [name]Kate[/name] is for [name]Katherine[/name]. (Maybe I’m missing something…) :slight_smile: While [name]Kate[/name] looks and feels strong to me, [name]Cait[/name] looks more to me like a nickname for [name]Caitlin[/name]. Either way ([name]Elinor[/name] [name]Kate[/name] or [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Cait[/name]), I think the combination sounds beautiful. :slight_smile:

[name]Virginia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]: I love [name]Maeve[/name], but I prefer [name]Elinor[/name] to [name]Virginia[/name].

[name]Elinor[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Cait[/name]: Because [name]Elinor[/name] ends in an R and [name]Ruby[/name] begins with one, the Rs cancel each other out when I say the combo out loud. I do love [name]Ruby[/name], though!

[name]Eva[/name]: I think it’s a beautiful name…You may also like [name]Evangeline[/name] or [name]Genevieve[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name]).

[name]Dinah[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]: I like some of your other names more, but I love [name]Pearl[/name]!

[name]Lucille[/name] [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Lucille[/name] [name]Rose[/name], or [name]Lucille[/name] [name]Dove[/name]: I think [name]Lucille[/name] is sweet, and while I think [name]Lucille[/name] [name]Rose[/name] has a nice flow, [name]Rose[/name] is the #1 middle name, so it feels pretty filler to me these day.

[name]Cora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] or [name]Cora[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]: I love [name]Cora[/name]! I’ll vote for [name]Cora[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name].

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Susanna[/name] or [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] or [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Ramona[/name]: I love [name]Hazel[/name]…I love [name]Susannah[/name], too, but I don’t think it flows well with [name]Hazel[/name] because of the zzz sounds. I love [name]Georgia[/name], but [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] makes me think of a hazel-colored state of [name]Georgia[/name]. I think [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Ramona[/name] is great!

[name]Violet[/name] [name]Gemma[/name] or [name]Violet[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] or [name]Violet[/name] [name]Ramona[/name]: I love [name]Violet[/name], but [name]Violet[/name] [name]Gemma[/name] makes me think of a violet-colored gem. [name]Violet[/name] [name]Georgia[/name], like [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Georgia[/name], makes me think of a violet-colored state. [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] don’t work for me like [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name].

[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Cora[/name]: I love both names, but I think some of your other combos have a better flow.

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Luna[/name]: I love [name]Phoebe[/name], but not with [name]Luna[/name].

[name]Helen[/name] [name]Maria[/name] or [name]Helen[/name] [name]Rose[/name]: I think [name]Helen[/name] is great, but I love [name]Helena[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Gemma[/name] [name]Scarlet[/name], [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Violet[/name], [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]: I’ll go with [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Priscilla[/name]: I like [name]Priscilla[/name] a lot. From your list, I really love [name]Priscilla[/name] [name]Violet[/name].

[name]Priscilla[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Priscilla[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Priscilla[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Priscilla[/name] [name]Violet[/name]

[name]Lillian[/name]: I think it’s pretty. :slight_smile: From your names, I love [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Pearl[/name].

[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Belle[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Louise[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]

[name]Cecilia[/name]: I love [name]Cecilia[/name]! You may also like [name]Celia[/name].

[name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Belle[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]

[name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Violet[/name]: I think this is beautiful…

[name]Paige[/name] [name]Lenora[/name] or [name]Paige[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] or [name]Paige[/name] [name]Melissa[/name]: I love [name]Lenora[/name]…[name]Lenora[/name] [name]Violet[/name]…

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Hannah[/name]: I love [name]Alice[/name], but not with [name]Hannah[/name], because of the flow.

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]: I love it!

[name]Miranda[/name] [name]Lynn[/name]: I think that [name]Miranda[/name] is beautiful, but not with [name]Lynn[/name]…

[name]Clarissa[/name] [name]Jane[/name]: I think this is pretty. I suggested [name]Jane[/name] above before I read about you not liking [name]Jane[/name], so I apologize!

[name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Rose[/name]: I really love [name]Vivienne[/name], but [name]Rose[/name] feels like a filler. (I love [name]Rose[/name] as a first name, though!)

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Grace[/name]: I love [name]Charlotte[/name], but [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Grace[/name] feels pretty safe to me.

Some more names you may like:

[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Adelia[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name] (reminds me of [name]Dinah[/name])
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
Lousia
[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Rose[/name] (first name)
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Hey! I’m just going to quickly say what I think of each name, hopefully it helps you :slight_smile:

[name]Elinor[/name] [name]Cait[/name] - I think this sounds lovely. However, I’m always going to stand up for traditional spellings so I would much prefer [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Cate[/name]. [name]Elinor[/name] would have to be spelled constantly, and [name]Cait[/name] looks unfinished to me. I do love [name]Kate[/name] spelled with a C so [name]Cate[/name] would be my choice, it looks softer than [name]Kate[/name] but more complete than [name]Cait[/name].

[name]Virginia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] - I’m not a fan of [name]Virginia[/name], especially with the nickname [name]Virgie[/name]! [name]Ginny[/name] is cute though, but like [name]Lemon[/name] said above, if you can’t agree on a nickname then I would scrap it.

[name]Elinor[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Cait[/name] or [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] - [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Cate[/name] would be super cute, I don’t think the Rs run into each other too much. Viriginia [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] has a lovely flow too. It really depends on your last name though to see which is better.

[name]Eva[/name] - I pronounce it Ee-vah, like you do, and yes Eh-vah is pretty, but nobody would pronounce it properly! This is a dealbreaker for me because it would aggravate you and little Eh-vah to no end!

[name]Dinah[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] - Not a fan, some of your other choices are much more captivating.

[name]Lucille[/name] [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Lucille[/name] [name]Rose[/name], or [name]Lucille[/name] [name]Dove[/name] - I love a lot of “old-lady” names but [name]Lucille[/name] is just one that I do not like at all!

[name]Cora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] or [name]Cora[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] - [name]Cora[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] is pretty.

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Susanna[/name] or [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] or [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Ramona[/name] - [name]Hazel[/name] is cute and spunky, and I like it with [name]Susanna[/name] (I would like it spelt [name]Susannah[/name] better though, looks more complete) and [name]Ramona[/name] (love [name]Ramona[/name], it’s quirky, spunky, and cute!)

[name]Violet[/name] [name]Gemma[/name] or [name]Violet[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] or [name]Violet[/name] [name]Ramona[/name] - Not a huge [name]Violet[/name] fan, can’t get over the fact it looks like Violent, and it doesn’t sound nice to me either.

[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Cora[/name] - [name]Daphne[/name] is okay, I like some of your other choices more.

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Luna[/name] - I really like this! [name]Pheobe[/name] is cute and spunky, and I really like [name]Luna[/name] as a middle, such a cool combo!

[name]Helen[/name] [name]Maria[/name] or [name]Helen[/name] [name]Rose[/name] - I’m not a huge fan of [name]Helen[/name] but I do like [name]Helena[/name] (as either [name]Helen[/name]-a or He-lay-nah <prefer this though). Does he like [name]Helena[/name]? [name]Helena[/name] [name]Marie[/name] and [name]Helena[/name] [name]Rose[/name] would be lovely.

[name]Rosa[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] - I like longer first names, that you can get a nickname out of, so [name]Rosa[/name] is too short for my tastes but it is cute. What about [name]Rosalind[/name] or something? I like [name]Beatrice[/name].

[name]Gemma[/name] [name]Scarlet[/name], [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Violet[/name], [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Lucille[/name] - [name]Gemma[/name] is cute, but I don’t like it with any of these middles…

[name]Priscilla[/name] - Noooo.

[name]Lillian[/name] - [name]Love[/name]!

[name]Cecilia[/name] - Eh…

[name]Erica[/name] [name]Paige[/name] - Feels very dated to me, I’m not a fan of either of these names.

[name]Cheyenne[/name] [name]Rose[/name] - Nooo

[name]Leah[/name] [name]Grace[/name] - Cute, classic, but kind of boring.

[name]Mallory[/name] [name]Claire[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t like [name]Mallory[/name] or [name]Claire[/name] very much.

[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Danielle[/name] - Dated, kind of cheesy.

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] - [name]Madeline[/name] is quite popular, but I do like it. Maybe as a middle so she wouldn’t be one of 6 [name]Maddie[/name]'s in her class?

[name]Paige[/name] [name]Lenora[/name] or [name]Paige[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] or [name]Paige[/name] [name]Melissa[/name] - Nooo, I really don’t like [name]Paige[/name], it’s dated, too short, and sounds weird.

[name]Natalie[/name] [name]Virginia[/name] - [name]Natalie[/name] is okay, combo doesn’t wow me at all though.

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Hannah[/name] - This is kind of hard to say but I do like [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Hannah[/name], just not together. [name]Alice[/name] [name]Virginia[/name], [name]Alice[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]/[name]Elinor[/name], [name]Alice[/name] [name]Helena[/name] or [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Elinor[/name]/[name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Virginia[/name] sound better. [name]Hannah[/name] would be a pretty middle too.

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] - This is okay…

[name]Miranda[/name] [name]Lynn[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t like either name at all.

[name]Clarissa[/name] [name]Jane[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t like [name]Clarissa[/name], the -isssss sound at the end puts me right off.

[name]Skye[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] - No, hate [name]Skye[/name].

[name]Narcissa[/name] [name]Rose[/name] - Scary, yes.

[name]Rubina[/name] [name]Nicole[/name] - [name]Rubina[/name] is way too frilly and [name]Nicole[/name] is very dated.

[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Rose[/name] - Cute, but too cutesy for sure.

[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Paige[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Alice[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Nicole[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Cheyenne[/name] - I like [name]Ruby[/name], but not with any of these middles. [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Virginia[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Helena[/name] etc sound better.

[name]Emily[/name] [name]Brooke[/name] - [name]Emily[/name] is lovely but ridiculously popular, and I really dislike [name]Brooke[/name].

[name]Megan[/name] [name]Paige[/name] - Boooring.

[name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Rose[/name] - I’m not a huge fan of [name]Vivienne[/name] but it nice, and goes nicely with [name]Rose[/name].

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Grace[/name] - Cute, classic, kind of boring. I love [name]Charlotte[/name] though. [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Helena[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Rose[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]June[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eva[/name], would all be lovely.

So my favourites from your like are…

[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Cate[/name] or [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Cate[/name] (or depending on your last name, [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Catherine[/name])
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Pheobe[/name] [name]Luna[/name]

And if you liked any of the other suggestions, I really like…
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Helena[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]

[name]Elinor[/name] [name]Cait[/name] is sweet. [name]Elinor[/name] is very nice.
I also like:
[name]Dinah[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Cora[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Rose[/name] - I love [name]Helena[/name] [name]Rose[/name] even more
[name]Lillian[/name] - what about [name]Liliana[/name]? [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Cora[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Rose[/name], [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name], [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Claire[/name], [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] - [name]Alice[/name] [name]Megan[/name], [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name] - [name]Miranda[/name] [name]Rose[/name], [name]Miranda[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Megan[/name] - [name]Megan[/name] [name]Alice[/name], [name]Megan[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
I also really like [name]Leonor[/name] or [name]Leonore[/name].

Thanks for all the help! And some of you suggested adding my last name so here it is: [name]Wood[/name]***. It is two syllables, accented on [name]Wood[/name], and begins with [name]Wood[/name].

It seems like the whole [name]Virginia[/name] thing isn’t being well received here, but my husband really loves it and he was really close to Uncle [name]Virgie[/name]. Maybe we can compromise with [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Virgie[/name] [name]Cait[/name]? It’s not completely what I want, but it would mean a lot to him. Also, some of you said that [name]Elinor[/name] might be too confusing, but [name]Eleanor[/name] is too popular and I believe [name]Elinor[/name] is a legit form. Plus, how often do people have to spell out their names anyway? I know I haven’t had to, maybe only once a year at the most. And all I say when spelling out my nickname is,“That’s [name]Danie[/name] with an ie.” Simple as that. So all [name]Elinor[/name] as to say is “That’s [name]Elinor[/name] with an I, not ea.” Also, I see [name]Cait[/name] as a full name more than [name]Kate[/name] or [name]Cate[/name], but that’s just my preference. However, [name]Cait[/name] is probably not going to change as [name]Jason[/name] and I really agree on that one. Same with [name]Maeve[/name], though it would be cool to make it Meabh, [name]Maeve[/name] is less confusing and I won’t be tempted to say “meeb”.
Also, many names on [name]Jason[/name]'s list I don’t agree with, especially the rather boring, or dated, or super common ones. However, the middle names [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] do mean a lot to us because we both have ancestors with those names. And I think they sound nice, not too “filler” at all.
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Ramona[/name] seems to be getting a lot of love, and [name]Jason[/name] is starting to like this one as well so this might be a third choice. Also, we’ve struck quite a few from our list but [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Cecilia[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Miranda[/name], [name]Erica[/name], [name]Priscilla[/name], [name]Tabitha[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Vivienne[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Paige[/name], and [name]Gemma[/name] are still on.

Also a few new additions that are a bit more daring than what we already have:

[name]Celestia[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Jocasta[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Jocasta[/name] [name]Margot[/name]
[name]Cressida[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Delphina[/name] [name]Margot[/name]
[name]Lucretia[/name] [name]Margot[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Sybil[/name] [name]Desdemona[/name]

Also, I’ve uncovered an old family tradition of naming the first born girl [name]Martha[/name] [name]Corinne[/name]. This was my great aunt’s name, and most of the first born girls before her, but the tradition discontinued in my mother’s generation. Should I use it, or is [name]Martha[/name] not ready for a comeback just yet?

Again, sorry for the long post, but I had lots to reply to and more to add.

Thanks for the support,

[name]Danie[/name] <3

[name]Just[/name] a thought on the [name]Eva[/name] point.
[name]How[/name] about using [name]Ever[/name] which is pronounced more like Ehva

[name]Danie[/name],

[name]Elinor[/name] is definitely a legitimate form! You only need to look as far as [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name]'s Sense and Sensibility to find the female protagonist, [name]Elinor[/name] Dashwood. It’s great, and if you love it, go for it! I honestly love [name]Cait[/name], too, and I personally see [name]Cate[/name] and [name]Cait[/name] as softer and sweeter versions of [name]Kate[/name], though technically they are all “nicknames.” It doesn’t bother me, and if you and [name]Jason[/name] don’t mind, use it.

I need to say that [name]Virgie[/name] is even worse in my opinion than [name]Virginia[/name] - which is actually nice when not shortened to [name]Virgie[/name]! Might you want to save [name]Virgil[/name] for a boy, should you ever have one? That being said, what about [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Cait[/name] [name]Wood[/name]***? It is more sophisticated and elegant than [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Virgie[/name] [name]Cait[/name]…

Your new name list has some very daring choices, but I did like the first one a bit - I just can’t quite remember it now. I’m not a huge fan of [name]Jocasta[/name] or [name]Cressida[/name], personally, but I like the whole mythology thing.

On to [name]Martha[/name] - my godmother is named [name]Martha[/name], and she is about 45, but I haven’t met a young one yet. If you don’t [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Martha[/name], then don’t resurrect the tradition! Simple as that. I’m not [name]Martha[/name]'s biggest fan, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t ready for a comeback…

[name]Hope[/name] some of this helps!

Oh! Almost forgot - I still adore [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Ramona[/name], and I think it is my favorite of the names you are seriously considering.

Thanks! And my first daring one was [name]Celestia[/name] [name]Violet[/name], which I like as well. The only problem is that I can’t find a cute nickname to use. And yes, I knew [name]Elinor[/name] was in one of [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name]'s books, I just couldn’t remember if she was a sister in Pride and Prejudice or the main girl in Sense and Sensibility. And I agree with you on [name]Virgie[/name] being even worse, but [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Cait[/name] just isn’t that appealing to me for some reason. And I know [name]Jason[/name] would be thrilled with [name]Virgil[/name] for a boy, but I honestly don’t like the name. However, we are both leaning more towards [name]Elinor[/name] anyway; although [name]Jason[/name] would like to honor his uncle, namewise he actually prefers [name]Elinor[/name]. And thank you for backing me up on [name]Martha[/name], I wasn’t too keen on it either, but my mother thought it might be fun to start up the tradition again. [name]Corinne[/name] is really nice though, I may be considering that one.

[name]Elinor[/name] [name]Cait[/name] looks misspelled and just wrong to me. I like [name]RUBY[/name] with a longer middle name. [name]Virginia[/name] is due for a comeback and is super cute.

“Thanks! And my first daring one was [name]Celestia[/name] [name]Violet[/name], which I like as well. The only problem is that I can’t find a cute nickname to use. And yes, I knew [name]Elinor[/name] was in one of [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name]'s books, I just couldn’t remember if she was a sister in Pride and Prejudice or the main girl in Sense and Sensibility. And I agree with you on [name]Virgie[/name] being even worse, but [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Cait[/name] just isn’t that appealing to me for some reason. And I know [name]Jason[/name] would be thrilled with [name]Virgil[/name] for a boy, but I honestly don’t like the name. However, we are both leaning more towards [name]Elinor[/name] anyway; although [name]Jason[/name] would like to honor his uncle, namewise he actually prefers [name]Elinor[/name]. And thank you for backing me up on [name]Martha[/name], I wasn’t too keen on it either, but my mother thought it might be fun to start up the tradition again. [name]Corinne[/name] is really nice though, I may be considering that one.”

[name]Danie[/name],

It seems like you really aren’t a fan of [name]Virgie[/name]/[name]Virgil[/name] or even [name]Virginia[/name], for that matter. I think you need to be upfront with [name]Jason[/name] about it, and just let him know that you respect his desire to honor his uncle, but you just can’t get used to that name, for either gender. It sounds like you both are getting there, considering that you are leaning toward [name]Elinor[/name]. I personally don’t think it looks misspelled, and I’m glad that you have Sense and Sensibility to back you up on this one. Go with the spelling you love, even if the rest of the world doesn’t agree with it…

I’m sorry your mom is pushing [name]Martha[/name], but you really need to go with what you love. If that isn’t [name]Martha[/name], then it just isn’t the name for you! [name]Corinne[/name] is nice, but I don’t feel like it matches the style of [name]Elinor[/name] as much as other names you’ve suggested. I think something like [name]Caroline[/name] would work better, or even [name]Camille[/name] or [name]Camilla[/name].

I don’t know if you are curious, but the other female names in Sense and Sensibility may turn out to be your style. In addition to [name]Elinor[/name], the Dashwood sisters are [name]Marianne[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name]. Other female characters include [name]Fanny[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Anne[/name] ([name]Nancy[/name]), [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], and [name]Elizabeth[/name].

Are you thinking of using one or two middle names?

[name]Danie[/name],

It seems like you really aren’t a fan of [name]Virgie[/name]/[name]Virgil[/name] or even [name]Virginia[/name], for that matter. I think you need to be upfront with [name]Jason[/name] about it, and just let him know that you respect his desire to honor his uncle, but you just can’t get used to that name, for either gender. It sounds like you both are getting there, considering that you are leaning toward [name]Elinor[/name]. I personally don’t think it looks misspelled, and I’m glad that you have Sense and Sensibility to back you up on this one. Go with the spelling you love, even if the rest of the world doesn’t agree with it…

I’m sorry your mom is pushing [name]Martha[/name], but you really need to go with what you love. If that isn’t [name]Martha[/name], then it just isn’t the name for you! [name]Corinne[/name] is nice, but I don’t feel like it matches the style of [name]Elinor[/name] as much as other names you’ve suggested. I think something like [name]Caroline[/name] would work better, or even [name]Camille[/name] or [name]Camilla[/name].

I don’t know if you are curious, but the other female names in Sense and Sensibility may turn out to be your style. In addition to [name]Elinor[/name], the Dashwood sisters are [name]Marianne[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name]. Other female characters include [name]Fanny[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Anne[/name] ([name]Nancy[/name]), [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], and [name]Elizabeth[/name].

Are you thinking of using one or two middle names?

Thanks so much! And in a way, you’re right about me not really loving [name]Virginia[/name]. I really liked it at first, but it feels like one of those names that get so boring after you keep thinking about and saying it. And [name]Virgie[/name] is (and I’m going to be honest about this) completely awful. [name]Virgil[/name] seems to me like taking the old is new thing way too far. In fact, I wonder if its on the “Names No Boy is Cool Enough For” list. If not, then I think it should be. And yes, you’re right, I do need to tell [name]Jason[/name] about this; in fact, he isn’t actually a huge fan of [name]Virginia[/name] itself, just [name]Virgie[/name] and [name]Virgil[/name].

My mom isn’t really pushing [name]Martha[/name], but she just says that it would be “fun” to bring the tradition back. Notice how I put “fun” in quotations. In my opinion, you really shouldn’t name your child something because its simply “fun” to do so. So yes, [name]Martha[/name] is definitely out. [name]Corinne[/name] is nice, but I would hesitate to actually use it as a first name. I might consider it as a middle name though, it has that middle name quality with the emphasized 2nd syllable.

And yes, I have looked at all of the Sense and Sensibility names as well as many of the other [name]Austen[/name] names as well. I liked them, but they all seemed too familiar or commonplace for me. [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] were on our very first list, [name]Charlotte[/name] survived to make Nameberry and [name]Eliza[/name] didn’t. I think we scratched [name]Charlotte[/name] last night, because we felt like it’s growing in popularity so fast that she’ll be one of 2 or 3 Charlottes in her class. Same with [name]Amelia[/name], another one on our first list that didn’t make it as far.

Right now, our list narrows down to:
[name]Elinor[/name] [name]Cait[/name]
Virignia [name]Maeve[/name] (In the process of trying to get this one scratched)
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name] (Most likely [name]Hazel[/name] will go with [name]Ramona[/name], but both are being considered as separate names because we might use either one as a first.)
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] (Same as [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name])
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]

And a new addition to our list, [name]Matilda[/name]. Last night I was playing around with the possibility of [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Ruby[/name], and I really love it. I know [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Cait[/name] seems to be our top choice, as a name nerd, I keep wanting to see new things. [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Cait[/name] already feels a bit worn to me…anyway, [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] is nice and has the nickname [name]Tilly[/name] and [name]Jason[/name] likes it as well.

Thanks,

[name]Danie[/name] <3

I love the idea of [name]Ramona[/name] as a first name, I especially love the nickname [name]Romy[/name], it’s so adorable! [name]Romona[/name] [name]Cait[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Elinor[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], and [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Alice[/name] all sound nice.

I do still like [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Cait[/name] as well, it’s pretty.

[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] is really sweet! I quite like it, but I fear that [name]Matilda[/name] is becoming popular in the same way other vintage names, like [name]Violet[/name], are. However, I honestly don’t think this bothers you too much, as you chose [name]Elinor[/name]. [name]Even[/name] if [name]Eleanor[/name] is the spelling that is really taking charge, the name is on the rise…

I also like [name]Hazel[/name] a great deal, but the two you have on your list that are also on my personal list are [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Alice[/name]. I think both are spunky and sweet, yet still classic and strong.

Personally, I don’t really care for [name]Tabitha[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], or [name]Gemma[/name], but they could be nice middle names. [name]Ramona[/name], too, I would only consider as a middle name…

You have an excellent collection of names, and I know how hard it is to narrow down the list to the perfect one!

I would consider [name]Maeve[/name] as a first. [name]Love[/name] this name and not common.

[name]Maeve[/name] [name]Caitriona[/name]

I agree with [name]Jill[/name] that [name]Cait[/name] seems strange to me. I would prefer [name]Cate[/name] or [name]Kate[/name] - which would also make a great first.

[name]Virgilia[/name] is a name, and I think [name]Gilly[/name] ([name]Jilly[/name]) would be a cute nn. Although she would have to say her name is [name]VirgiLia[/name] not [name]VirgiNia[/name].

But I feel like if her name were closer to [name]Virgil[/name], the nn wouldn’t be as important.

What about [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Virgilia[/name]?

I really like [name]Martha[/name] [name]Corinne[/name], but you ned to like it, too, to use it. Though I also think the idea of resurrecting the tradition is pretty cool.

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Danie[/name],

My favorite name right now is [name]Eleanor[/name] and my first name is [name]Kaitlin[/name], so I”m quite partial to [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Cait[/name]. I much prefer [name]Cait[/name] to [name]Kate[/name] or [name]Cate[/name] ” it seems less stuffy and uptight and far more modern.

I like [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] also, but I”m not particularly fond of [name]Ginnie[/name] or [name]Virgie[/name] ([name]Ginna[/name] is growing on me”). [name]Maeve[/name] is beautiful and [name]Virginia[/name] is pretty sounding with a rich history. I”m with you on wanting to honor you husband”s uncle, but considering that his [name]Virgie[/name] was male and you”re talking about your female [name]Virginia[/name], I just don”t think I could use [name]Virgie[/name] as a nickname (I also keep seeing [name]Virgie[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] in my head, and I suppose that”s tainting the name for me a little bit).

I”m not crazy about [name]Ruby[/name], but I must admit that it flows really well with both of your names. I think Eh-va is pretty sounding, but would just cause too much confusion with both spelling and pronunciation. I like [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Grace[/name], but I think [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] are too common in the middle slots (for me, at least).

Other names I liked from your list:
[name]Lucille[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Luna[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name] [name]Scarlet[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Hannah[/name] ” I like these two, but not together.
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] - one of my favorites on your list :slight_smile:
[name]Rubina[/name] [name]Nicole[/name] ” I know a [name]Rubina[/name] and like her name, but I really don”t think it fits with your other favorites.

Good luck!

Edited to add:

I also like:

[name]Jocasta[/name] [name]Violet[/name] - gorgeous name, but the whole [name]Oedipus[/name] thing is kind of getting in my way…
[name]Lucretia[/name] [name]Margot[/name]

I just wanted to add that as a [name]Kaitlin[/name] (a name that has a bazillion spellings), I really do end up spelling my name all the time and find myself getting annoyed (probably more than I should…) when people spell it wrong. It’s not exactly the same with [name]Eleanor[/name]/[name]Elinor[/name], since they’re pretty much the only legit spellings I’ve seen, but I just wanted to let you know in case the possible misspellings from using the less common spelling makes a difference to you. :slight_smile: