Cute or too much?

Hello! [name_f]My[/name_f] DH and I have a boys name but are having trouble with a girls name. We both love [name_f]Adelynn[/name_f], but our last name is [name_m]Adams[/name_m] and I’m not sure if “Addie Adams” is too repetitive and we’ve thought about [name_f]Madelynn[/name_f] but already have a Maddie/Madison in the family. We love [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] too, but it’s too overused for me. Thoughts? Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

2 Likes

Hmm, I agree that [name_f]Adelynn[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] doesn’t sound ideal. It’s not horrible though.

I’m kinda surprised that you think [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is overused, considering [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] isn’t that common and when all the spellings are combined Adeline/Adelynn/spellings is the most popular name :grin: Maybe [name_f]Ashlynn[/name_f]?

1 Like

It is a bit much and there are so many little Addies. [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] doesn’t seem overused but it depends on where you live. I love [name_f]Audra[/name_f] as an option for you and [name_f]Audra[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] flows nicely.

1 Like

[name_f]Adelynn[/name_f] “Addie” is really sweet, but if I’m completely honest with myself, I don’t think I would personally do it with your last name. That being said, I do think it’s probably usable if you’re willing to lean into it. It would certainly be a memorable name! All of that aside, I love Audrey–and I think if you add up all the Adelyn/Adalyn/Adeline/Adelynn/Adalynn/etc’s, there are a lot more Addie’s out there than Audrey’s. I say that not because I think popularity should be a deterrent from using your favorite name, but because you seem to love [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] too and I do think it works a lot better with [name_m]Adams[/name_m]. Good luck! :yellow_heart:

1 Like

I think [name_f]Adelynn[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] is too repetitive, but see no issue with using [name_f]Madelynn[/name_f] just because there’s one in the family (unless you’re extremely close to them/see them often). Also agree with previous comment about [name_f]Addy[/name_f] adding up to more common than [name_f]Audrey[/name_f].

How about:
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ashleigh[/name_f]
Ashlyn/Ashlynn
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
Annabel/Annabelle

They all give a cool alliterative first name/surname but without the repetitive ‘ad’ at the beginning!

:slight_smile:

I agree with @dandy_orchid that when you add up all the different spellings of [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] I think it’s popularity would increase dramatically. Where as [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] doesn’t have very many spelling alternatives, and feels a little more stable/classic. So if [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is what you love I would go with that despite the popularity.

With that being said I actually like the repetitive sound of Adeline/Addie [name_m]Adams[/name_m]. I think it’s fun to say! So I don’t think you can go wrong with either of your choices.

You might also consider
[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]
[name_f]Aderyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]

[name_f]Addelyn[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] is a bit much for me, sorry

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]
[name_f]Aubriana[/name_f]
[name_f]Avalyn[/name_f]
[name_u]Everly[/name_u]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmalyn[/name_f]
[name_u]Meredith[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f]

I agree that when you take into account all the different ways to get to “Addy”, it’ll shoot way up in popularity. In fact, it was on a Nameberry article they were calling the “playground analysis”. (Here’s the link if you want to check it out. They say it’s the 7th most popular girls’ name when you add the different spellings!). So, if the main reason you’re loving Adelynn is that it’s not used much, then I would stay away from it. Even if the name is spelled differently, it sounds exactly the same and they have the same nickname, so it’s still very possible (likely, even) for her to have to be Addie A in her class. Plus Addison leads to Addie as well, and that’s also a relatively popular name.
Addie Adams is repetitive and I’m personally not the biggest fan of it. It’s not the end of the world if that’s what you’ve got your heart set on, but I’m not a huge fan of the flow. Audrey Adams is beautiful and classic sounding to me. Honestly, I don’t find Audrey to be overused at all, it’s a classic but still feels very fresh (and you’ve got to love that Audrey Hepburn association, she’s amazing!). I have met far far more Addies (with various spellings/full names) than I have Audreys, on all ages.

It is a little matchy.
What about Caroline/ [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]?

I don’t think it’s necessarily cute nor too much. It’s repetitive but it could be fine.

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] sounds way better than [name_f]Adelynn[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] or [name_f]Addie[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] to me. Plus, if you have a [name_u]Madison[/name_u] in the family already, I’d avoid [name_f]Adelynn[/name_f] (which, as everyone has pointed out is more popular in the long run than Audrey). Pretty much any of the alternatives suggested would flow better, too. What other style of names do you like?

Too much. Maybe [name_f]Audrienne[/name_f]? :slight_smile:

There is definetly worse than [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] but it is still quite ‘matchy matchy’
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]? I think [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] is really cute if you like Autumn?! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helps

I quite like the alliteration.

I think it’s actually kind of cute!

I know an [name_f]Anna[/name_f] “Annie” [name_u]Anderson[/name_u], and it’s never been a problem. If you like it, go for it!

I love the alliteration of [name_f]Adelynn[/name_f] Adams/Addie [name_m]Adams[/name_m]!

Other names like [name_f]Adelynn[/name_f], [name_f]Madelynn[/name_f] and [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] (sorry for repeats);

[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
Avery/Averie
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_f]Zoey[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_u]Everly[/name_u]
Aubrey/Aubree
[name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u]
[name_u]Paisley[/name_u]
[name_u]Skylar[/name_u]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]
[name_f]Kinsley[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u]
Brielle/Briella
[name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_f]Raelynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Arianna[/name_f]
[name_u]Josie[/name_u]
[name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Summer[/name_f]
[name_u]Blakely[/name_u]
[name_u]Sydney[/name_u]
[name_u]Presley[/name_u]
[name_f]Alayna[/name_f]
[name_f]Alana[/name_f]
Gracie/Gracelynn
[name_f]Adriana[/name_f]
Brynlee/Brinley
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrina[/name_f]
Aubrielle/Aubriella
[name_f]Aviana[/name_f]
[name_u]Ainsley[/name_u]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]

[name_f]Adelynn[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] is too redundant for me.
If [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] feels too common, maybe these alternatives might inspire:

• [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]
  • [name_u]Avery[/name_u]
  • Ainsely

[name_f]Adelynn[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] sounds nice. [name_f]Addie[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] is decent.

I don’t think Audrey’s overpopular, Adeline’s hitting the charts pretty hard these days. [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] flows best, [name_f]Adelynn[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] is very repetitive. It could work though.