D

my favorites:

[name]Daphne[/name] &[name]Mathilde[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Lila[/name] suggestion: [name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Lilia[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Ottilie[/name]

[name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Finlay[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Tobias[/name]

[name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Mathilde[/name]
and
Daphine & [name]Tobias[/name] are my favorites…

Thank you![/quote]

I live is Southern [name]CA[/name]. I have a great interest in the [name]East[/name] Coast of the US and in the British Isles. But I’m such a [name]California[/name] person, I have to admit it. It’s kind of embarrassing. Cold weather really bothers me plus I don’t know how to behave at formal events. But I love the architecture, trees, libraries, graveyards, and so many more things Back [name]East[/name] and in the British Isles.[/quote]

Actually [name]Susan[/name], I hate cold weather too! I love hot weather and find the weather in the UK a bit depressing at times. I do love the architecture here too though- especially the old houses, as they have so much character. I haven’t been to The States at all but might possibly come at some point as have a [name]BIL[/name] in LA.

[name]Hi[/name]!
My post may have been a little confusing as I was sometimes writing comments on the name and forgetting to add whether or not it went well with [name]Daphne[/name]! I will simplify it by adding starts to show which goes well with [name]Daphne[/name] imo.

[name]Mathilde[/name]- ****
Elowen-
[name]Dahlia[/name]- ** (goes well but would avoid personally as before)
[name]Maeve[/name]- **
[name]Genevieve[/name]- ****
[name]Vivienne[/name]-****
[name]Margaret[/name]-* (too classic and serious)
[name]Lila[/name]-**
[name]Isla[/name]-**
[name]Penelope[/name]- ***** (my favourite with [name]Daphne[/name])
[name]Isolde[/name]- **
[name]Livia[/name]- ****
[name]Eleanor[/name]-* (too classic and popular for [name]Daphne[/name])
[name]Juliet[/name]- *** (v classic but more unusual and less serious sounding- [name]Julia[/name] would be wonderful too)
[name]Ottilie[/name]-***
[name]Aurelia[/name]-*
[name]Francesca[/name]- ****
[name]Romilly[/name]- ***

I think [name]Daphne[/name] ‘goes well’ with these names which are not French (Greek or Latin origin):

[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Maia[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]

I don’t think [name]Daphne[/name] [name]Maeva[/name] sounds great. [name]How[/name] about [name]Daphne[/name] [name]Julie[/name] or [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]?

Actually [name]Susan[/name], I hate cold weather too! I love hot weather and find the weather in the UK a bit depressing at times. I do love the architecture here too though- especially the old houses, as they have so much character. I haven’t been to The States at all but might possibly come at some point as have a [name]BIL[/name] in LA.[/quote]

I just read what I wrote about how I don’t know how to behave at formal events. What I wrote makes me sound like a Neaderthal! I’m not that bad. I can go to formal events in SoCal if I have to. I’m just uncomfortable with really formal events. I went to this luncheon when we were living in [name]Colorado[/name] Springs. It was in a Victorian mansion. The luncheon was really, really formal. A lot of us got really quiet. We were remembering to pass the plates correctly and trying to sit up really straight. I hate that kind of thing! Unless I just love the people that I’m with - then I will put up with just about anything. I watch my friends and copy what they’re doing if I have to. In [name]California[/name], it’s mostly very casual. [name]Love[/name] that.

Mummy, tell me if you come to L.A. I would love to meet you.

I knew what you meant [name]Susan[/name]! Anyway, I never go to any ‘formal events’ either. Infact, we rarely go out in the evening at all because of three little children :slight_smile:
I will let you know if we ever do come to LA!

Most of the ones that you picked out as favourites were also mine :slight_smile:

I am pronouncing [name]Mathilde[/name] ma-TEELD, which is a little French (I lived there for part of my childhood, so it’s just habit). If I met an English person named [name]Mathilde[/name], I would say ma-TILD.

My saints’ names list :
I have chosen the names on the list due to a combination of their being handsome, (often unusual) names, and their having beautiful and inspiring stories attached to the respective Saints. Quite a few of the boys” names would work well, and perhaps even better, in a feminised version.

[name]Alban[/name]
[name]Ambrose[/name]
[name]Bartholomew[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name]
[name]Casimir[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Christopher[/name] (most probably only a legendary saint, but there are some beautiful stories attached to him)
[name]Constantine[/name]
[name]Cosmas[/name]
[name]Crispin[/name]
[name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Fabian[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Francis[/name]
[name]Herbert[/name]
[name]Ivo[/name]
[name]Jerome[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Louis[/name] (also a variant of [name]Aloysius[/name])
[name]Maximilian[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name] (another name for [name]Saint[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name])
[name]Otto[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name] (one of my sons” names)
[name]Rupert[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Timothy[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]
[name]Wolfgang[/name]

[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Esther[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Martha[/name]
[name]Maria[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name] (feminine version of [name]Raymond[/name] - he was inspirational, but I just don”t like his name)
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Zita[/name].

Good luck!

I’m glad that you like the list :slight_smile:

Of the ones that you picked [name]Edmond[/name] (O not U, as it is the French spelling) is both my brother and one of my sons’ middle names, [name]Alice[/name] is one of mine and [name]Theodore[/name] is one of my sons’ mns. I love [name]Cecelia[/name], too, but we already have a niece with the name.

On the [name]Mathilde[/name] vs. [name]Matilda[/name] matter, while I adore them both, I think I prefer [name]Mathilde[/name] with [name]Daphne[/name]. They both look nice with [name]Daphne[/name], but the added unusualness due to [name]Mathilde[/name] being a foreign version helps it match [name]Daphne[/name] perfectly, in my opinion. I also think [name]Matilda[/name] will get more popular than [name]Daphne[/name] will, as it fits not only the vintage ‘trend’ which is beginning to be seen, but also reminds me of choices like [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name] due to its femininity. That said, I don’t think it will get too popular to use, so if you prefer it, go for it!

I’m just wondering if you would use a nickname for [name]Mathilde[/name]/[name]Matilda[/name]?

Good luck!