Dahlia: Day-lee-a or Dah-lee-a??

[name]Love[/name] love the name. But I prefer the British pronunciation of “[name]Day[/name]-lee-a.” I’ve heard people say this name Dah-lee-a. What is your initial opinion of how to pronounce it when you first hear it?

I love it as well, however I’ve always pronounced it “Dah-lee-a”.

I have always pronounced it Dah-lee-a, and I prefer that pronunciation as well.

This is my cousin’s name, and we’ve always said DAH-lee-a. We call her [name]Dolly[/name] for short.

I had no idea it was pronounced [name]DAY[/name]-lee-ah anywhere. I mean, it’s spelled “dah” :wink:

Anyway, yeah, I’ve only heard DAH-lee-ah (with the exception of my mother, who says “DA-lee-uh” like the “A” in [name]Sally[/name]) and [name]DAY[/name]-lee-uh confuses my phonetic sensibilities!

Folks around here pronounce it Dall-yah.

My name is [name]Dahlia[/name] pronounced dahl-yah and I like in the UK… The day-lee-a pronunciation is very inaccurate - but we Brits do that a lot! The flowers are named after [name]Anders[/name] Dahl… and I believe the flower is correctly pronounced with 2 syllables as dahl-yah, in UK the pronunciation is occasionally deyl-yah - again incorrect… but it should always have only 2 syllables as my dad (the keen gardner) would say! But it’s a name so you can pronounce it however you like! Maybe Daylia spelling? [name]Delia[/name] would be dee-lee-ah…

[name]Dahlia[/name] x

[name]Doll[/name]-ee-yuh.

Definitely DAH-lee-a / Dall-yah

If you want it pronounced [name]Day[/name]-lee-a then you should spell ir [name]DALIA[/name].