Dahlia or Anastasia?

still working on [name]Mei[/name]-Ling’s first name… that’s all we’ve been talking about in our house for days and days…
and we’ve finally got it down to two…

[name]Dahlia[/name] [name]Mei[/name]-Ling (nn [name]Lia[/name])
[name]Anastasia[/name] [name]Mei[/name]-Ling (nn [name]Tansy[/name])

our friends and family are all voting for [name]Dahlia[/name]… actually, no one really loved [name]Dahlia[/name], until i pointed out the nn [name]Lia[/name]… then everyone was completely on board… she definitely looks like a little [name]Lia[/name]!
i love [name]Dahlia[/name]… i adore [name]Dahlia[/name]… In fact, i could totally see myself calling her [name]Lia[/name]. I’m not a huge fan of [name]Anastasia[/name], but i adore the nn [name]Tansy[/name]…
[name]Tansy[/name] doesn’t seem to fit her as well.
Hubby won’t let go of [name]Anastasia[/name]. He thinks it’s perfect…
it’s a beautiful name… but i just don’t see her as an [name]Anastasia[/name].
She’s a [name]Dahlia[/name] to me…
these two names are so different… i don’t see how we’re ever going to agree…
someone help!!

***to the person who suggested that we just leave her name as [name]Mei[/name]-Ling… we agree that it’s a very VERY beautiful name and we had considered leaving it as is, but giving your child a name is one of your basic rights as a parent and we wanted to give her a name that we chose. We opted to keep the name her birth mother gave her as a tribute to her heritage and as an honor to her birth mom…
but she’s our daughter and we want to choose her first name!
…does that seem selfish? i hope not…

I agree that you should choose her name.

While I think that you can’t really go wrong w either choice, I personally prefer [name]Anastacia[/name]. I don’t love [name]Tansy[/name] for a nn though, butbthats totally your call. I like [name]Anna[/name] or [name]Anni[/name] though! :slight_smile:

i [name]LOVE[/name] dahlia!!

i agree… [name]Dahlia[/name] is so cute and [name]Dahlia[/name] [name]Mei[/name]-Ling is an AMAZING combo…

From the (very gorgeous) picture, I can totally see her as [name]Dahlia[/name] right now. However, I can also see her growing into an [name]Anastasia[/name] as she gets older. To me, it’s a very regal name, and she is a beautiful girl. I can see her growing up into a beautiful woman befitting of the name [name]Anastasia[/name].

Good luck!

They are both beautiful names- two of my favourites! [name]Dahlia[/name] is feminine, fresh and sits beautifully with [name]Mei[/name]- Ling. [name]Anastasia[/name] is very elegant and regal. I think [name]Dahlia[/name] flows better with her mn. Perhaps you will have to have a second daughter to use the other name :slight_smile:
Is there a picture of her? Would love to have a little peek!

[name]Dahlia[/name] is a beautiful, distinctive choice.

[name]Anastasia[/name] is too overbearingly frilly and “princessy” for me.

I think [name]Dahlia[/name] is much more refined and elegant.

Congratulations on your new daughter and all the best!

I second bleu’s comments!!

She doesn’t look like a [name]Tansy[/name] at all, and she didn’t quite look like an [name]Anastasia[/name]. She looked like an [name]Annie[/name]. If you don’t want to use the nickname [name]Annie[/name], which suits her, don’t use [name]Anastasia[/name].

She really looks like a [name]Lia[/name] - not totally a [name]Dahlia[/name] - but definitely a [name]Lia[/name]. Go for it!

I love [name]Dahlia[/name] [name]Mei[/name]-Ling so much, especially with the [name]Lia[/name] nickname. It’s both sweet and elegant to me, and I love its flow with [name]Mei[/name]-Ling. I think that [name]Dahlia[/name] suits her perfectly–sweet, charming, and beautiful.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I really love [name]Dahlia[/name] [name]Mei[/name]-Ling. [name]Dahlia[/name] is so pretty and fun-- it has a certain charm that [name]Anastasia[/name] just doesn’t have for me. I would be really excited to come across a baby [name]Dahlia[/name]!

I also think [name]Dahlia[/name] [name]Mei[/name]-Ling is perfect!

I was reading your post and thought, “well, sounds like you’ve already made your decision, fabulous, [name]Dahlia[/name] it is!” until I got to the part about your husband still clinging to [name]Anastasia[/name] :slight_smile: Seems like it’s less a question of “which name is better?” at this point and more a question of “how to decide whose favorite wins out?” This compromising part is always so hard, but I think you have a point in your favor with all the friend/family enthusiasm for [name]Dahlia[/name]/[name]Lia[/name], so you might want to work that angle as much as possible.

I have a slight preference for [name]Anastasia[/name]/[name]Tansy[/name], but both names are gorgeous!

I don’t really like [name]Dahlia[/name], but I do love [name]Lia[/name] [name]Mei[/name]-Ling!

I’ll put in a vote for [name]Dahlia[/name], it’s a gorgeous name!

I really like [name]Anastasia[/name]/[name]Tansy[/name].

I just don’t like [name]Dahlia[/name].

I prefer [name]Anastasia[/name] and think [name]Tansy[/name] is adorable. but [name]Dahlia[/name] is adorable too. I honestly dont think you can go wrong

I’m big fan of the nickname [name]Lia[/name] too!!! That’s why I’d vote for [name]Dahlia[/name] even if I’m not very fond of it…