Daisy as a nn for Magdalene, opinions on Gwennora, & spelling of Rhoswen?

Edited for privacy.

1. I think [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] is very heavy. I don’t mind [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] as a nickname, but [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] or [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] seems much more doable, and they are both adorable (I think). It doesn’t seem like you’re crazy about either though, if one of them were in your top I’d back you completely, but I think choosing a name that’s not your favourite to get to a nickname that’s not your favourite is a bit silly. [name_m]Just[/name_m] saying.

2. [name_f]Gwenora[/name_f] is completely legitimate, and it’s beautiful. I don’t think it looks smooshy at all, but I guess it could look that way for people who aren’t familiar with Welsh names. But who cares about those anyway?

3. Rosenwyn!! It means fair rose in Cornish. Rozenn, [name_f]Rosen[/name_f] and Rhosyn are [name_m]Breton[/name_m], Cornish and Welsh for rose. Then there’s Rhoslyn (which isn’t related to rose, but moor and lake) and Rosslyn. Rohesia is utterly beautiful, but this is not what you wanted… I think Rosenwyn is brilliant myself. Fair rose, how lovely is that?

1. If [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] can be nicknamed [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], why not Madgalen? They are close enough, in my eyes. And it’s your deal how to call your child, do you actually care about “huh”? I wouldn’t, personally. My daughter has a ton of non-name related nicknames and we are fine with it. By the way, [name_m]Pip[/name_m] for [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] isn’t obvious, but your are good with it, aren’t you? :wink:
  2. [name_f]Gwenora[/name_f] is legititimate but I prefer [name_f]Gwenore[/name_f] myself. If you can satisfy you both with it, who cares?
  3. [name_f]Rosemarie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalin[/name_f] and [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] are my favorite English rose names(the latter can be [name_f]Prue[/name_f] as well as [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]/[name_f]Rose[/name_f], isn’t it cute?); Welsh ones I love are Rhosyn (rose), Rhoslyn (rose of the valley) and I suppose Rosmerta was a goddess in Gallic mythology.

I think that [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Magdelene[/name_f] would work if you really wanted it to, It’s close enough to [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] in my mind that it make since.
I really like [name_f]Gwenora[/name_f]! I prefer only one “n” for a couple reasons 1) it just seems to flow better if that makes any since and 2) doesn’t look like a smosh name where as [name_f]Gwennora[/name_f] is spelled [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]+[name_f]Nora[/name_f]. [name_m]How[/name_m] much do you like [name_f]Gwenora[/name_f] though? So far you have seemed pretty attached to [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f], do you really want to replace her?
I would just spell [name_f]Rose[/name_f]+wyn Rosewyn, that makes the most since to me. I really like the sound of Rosewyn and it seems to fit better on your list imo than just [name_f]Rose[/name_f] does. My only concern with Rosewyn is would it rule out the [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] names for you with the similar sounds? If it would then I would stick with [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] since she’s been one of your favorites longer.

[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] for [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] works for me because of the translation thing. [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] for [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]… doesn’t.

[name_f]Maggie[/name_f] or [name_f]Mae[/name_f] or [name_f]Lena[/name_f] would make a LOT more sense and be just as light. All three are also easier for me to picture on a range of personality types than [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] seems like a very specific kind of girl, doesn’t it?

[name_f]Gwenora[/name_f] is beautiful but some people will throw shade. It reminds me of [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] which I really love.

I’d never heard Rosenwyn before but I am sort of struck by it. It’s very pretty. I’ll be thinking about this one.

I do love [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], for different reasons. [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] has a certain heavy clunk to it, but it reminds me of really gorgeous antique furniture that is solid and yet beautifully carved. I’ve been told it’s unfeminine, but I think it’s just not frilly. It’s certainly not stolen from the boys.

[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is lighter, more herbal. [name_u]Green[/name_u] perfume. I don’t think roses, actually, at all (don’t tell your husband) but the blue-flowered herb. It seems clarifying and gentle but grounded. It is all nature but it’s NOT hippie or made-up or modern. [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] feels very unpretentious, too, and maybe less try-hard than [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]?

[name_f]Rosalba[/name_f] is pretty form, and legitimate. Speaking of people thinking it’s made up, though, I’ve gotten some very negative reactions to it. It’s more unfamiliar than the other two.

I like the idea of rose + wyn (or wen), but I thought Rhoswyn was pronounced HROZ (rhyme with [name_m]Oz[/name_m]) + wyn? [name_m]Even[/name_m] forgetting the Welsh rh- thing, it doesn’t sound like rose, I thought, but I could be wrong.

Edited for privacy.

Well, I didn’t mean [name_m]Pip[/name_m] is not traditional, I said it was not obvious. But it works, as does [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. And of course you care but can you really imagine kids not willing to play with her or thinking she is weird just because she has an unusual nickname? I don’t insist on everybody using not legit names, I said you may choose a nickname you like if it’s a real nickname, not very made-up or weird.
^^ This all was to make my previous comment clear and I hope I didn’t came out as rude. :slight_smile:
Also, do you think [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] sounds like a disease because it’s a bit similar to roseola(rose rush)? I have never noticed this, hehe.

1. Magdelene nn Daisy: I have no problem with this, it would be like calling Melissa by “Honey Bee/Bumble Bee/Bee” (I know someone who does this) or Stella “Star.” My great-grandmother was Marguerite and sometimes went by Pearl. I don’t think it’s a stretch, and I think it would be pretty easy to explain if anyone thought it was odd. No one can really argue with “Magdelene means ‘daisy’ or ‘pearl.’” I think Adelaide nn Daisy is much more of a stretch. It would be like naming your child Alexandra and calling her Dina - technically using most/the same letters, but no real connection.

2. Gwenora/Gwennora: I’m not so much a fan, but not because it’s bad. I just prefer Guinevere/Gwendolen. Honestly, I like Aurora more, if you really like -ora ending names. I know it has some history, but it really does feel like a smoosh name.

3) Rose: I love Rose, but I understand not wanting to name your child after Dr. Who. I really like most Rose names: Rosemary, Rosalind, Rosamund, Rosalia, Rosa, Rose-Marie, Rosabla, Rosalie, Rosella, Roseanne, Rosetta… I am not a fan of Ros+wyn, only because to me, it sounds like someone liked Rosalind, but wanted their child to be different, so they changed the L to a W.

Rosalind would be my first choice for you. It gives me the same classic, timeless feeling that Magdelene, Nora and Rose do. Rosemary is my favorite Rose name, but I think Rosalind fits little more. Gwendolen/Gwendolyn would be second. I really really love the name, and I think it sounds stronger than Gwenora. Also, I think Rosalind and Gwendolen give me a little of the “greenness” you were talking about - both make me think about ladies with flowers braided through their hair and old, lush forests. They’re both a little romantic and naturey to me. Rosemary is more green and spritely, less ladylike.

I hope I didn’t sound rude either, it’s just that [name_m]Pip[/name_m] has an easier explanation for its being non-obvious than [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] would be to [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]. “It’s traditional” usually gets a better reception than “We like it,” know what I mean? I almost had a heart attack when my sister wanted to use [name_m]William[/name_m] nn [name_m]Leo[/name_m], so this is kind of the same thing, haha. She just said that it was what she liked so she didn’t care. I’m usually pretty open to off-the-beaten-trail nns but it actually came across as really, really obnoxious, which surprised me.

I didn’t intend to imply either that any of these suggestions are made up, I was just mentioning a comment my hubby made somewhere along the way, that if it’s a legit name then it doesn’t matter what kind of reaction it gets – but he and I disagree on this point to some extent. I ought to have given it more context though. The whole subject is funny though because I actually love really unusual names and then worry about whether they are too out-there for the real world, and he likes whatever he likes and doesn’t give a care. He likes [name_f]Rose[/name_f] because he likes [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and he likes [name_m]Ragnar[/name_m] because he likes [name_m]Ragnar[/name_m], and there’s nothing else complicating it, and it doesn’t seem to matter that everybody in the world will have heard the name [name_f]Rose[/name_f] before and practically nobody in the world will have heard [name_m]Ragnar[/name_m]. It’s sort of a frustrating process finding something that both of us can love the same, but I do think that the solution we eventually find together is better than what we had alone.

And yes…[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] always makes me think of roseola, lol.

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] has [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] as a nickname, Why not [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] using [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] as a nn?
Not the most natural fit, but why not?

I love Gwendaly and [name_f]Gwenora[/name_f]/[name_f]Gwenore[/name_f]! Uncommon yet with a strong history of usage - those are my favourite types of names. No other help, sorry, but just wanted to pop in with a thumbs up for those two - hope I didn’t confuse you still further!

[name_f]Magdelene[/name_f] nn [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] - So I know I’m one to suggest crazy nicknames from all over the map like [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] for [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], but this one does seem a bit unnatural to me. Is [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] off the table as a nn for [name_f]Magdelene[/name_f] or are we just looking for a way to make [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] a mutual favorite?

[name_f]Gwenora[/name_f]/[name_f]Gwennora[/name_f] - [name_f]Gwenora[/name_f] does seem like a good combination of both your styles. I wouldn’t say it’s a smoosh name, but it does seem a bit contrived. No more so than [name_f]Honora[/name_f] or [name_f]Annora[/name_f] or something though.

Rhoswen – I actually think this is adorable. A lot of [name_f]Rose[/name_f] variants have been suggested above, but my favorite is Rhoslyn. I actually know a guy whose middle name is Rhoslyn, it’s very historic and traditional in his family. I was so surprised and intrigued to see it on a guy, and I think it would work just as well on a little lady, because it’s feminine without being flouncy. There’s a strength to it. And Mr. [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] could call her [name_f]Rose[/name_f] to his hearts’ content.

ETA: Gwendaly is quite nontraditional, but would be a great way to get [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] and [name_f]Wendy[/name_f] in the same name! [name_u]Day[/name_u] would also be a cute nn.

I think [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] is beautiful, and the nn [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] doesn’t bother me a bit. I like it! [name_f]One[/name_f] of my daughter’s name is Katriel, and when she was little her twin took to calling her Seashell, which was as close as she could come to Katriel. We all thought that was sweet, and started calling her Seashell, too, and to this day we still sometimes call her that (she goes by Katriel at school, etc…). To me, [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] seems like exactly the same thing. It’s a nn that derives from the actual name somehow, who cares how, and it’s sweet and easy and it works! (That’s how I think of it anyways). [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] is great, too! There are all kinds of people I’ve known in real life who have sort of ‘that’s a stretch if you want to be literal’ nn’s, and almost always I like them and think they’re great! Most of the time I like them more, just for their creativity and originality! (Our little neighbor girl introduced herself to us as ‘Bubbles’ when she was four. I asked if that was her real name, and no, it wasn’t. Her real name was [name_f]Cynthia[/name_f]! But her middle name was Champagne, and so her nn was Bubbles. It fit her…)

I do like [name_f]Gwenyth[/name_f], too, particularly with the nn [name_f]Wendy[/name_f], but the goop [name_f]Gwenyth[/name_f] seems to be in the news every day. Honestly, every day I see some headline about her! Some people love that and some people don’t think a thing about it and it doesn’t bother them one bit. I am one of those who have a hard time brushing aside heavy ‘one person’ ties. (That’s my own quirk, though!). I do like [name_f]Gwenora[/name_f] a lot, and I like Gweneira and Gwenael, too! When I saw the name Gwenael - a little [name_m]French[/name_m] girl - I thought it was the prettiest name ever! ([name_f]Gwen[/name_f]-ay-ell). I do know QUITE a few [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]'s in real life, though. Most people on here say [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] names are not that popular, and I don’t doubt that statistic-wise, but I know several, including my son’s girlfriend’s sister who is named [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] and is actually called ‘Gwendy’ by everyone.

I like most of the [name_f]Rose[/name_f] names, too, and I am one of those who just say ‘we pronounce it [name_f]Rose[/name_f]-a-lind, not [name_f]Roz[/name_f]-a-lind’ when someone says it the other way. We get that with Katriel a ton, and also my daughter [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] get’s it a fair bit, too. It’s not the worst thing in the world. I think [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] would be fab for you guys, as would [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] or Rosewyn - I especially think that’s beautiful! Soft yet strong, familiar yet unique…

I still like [name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f] the most:) [name_f]Eve[/name_f] & [name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f] sound like sweet, smart, spunky sisters to me! However, [name_f]Gwenyth[/name_f] Shenandoah would be lovely!

@axps123 – Thanks for your thoughts & comments on all, it’s really helpful to get some outside perspective on sorting out what’s quickly become about as clear as mud in my mind!

@glinkies – And a vote on the positive, thanks for adding your comments!

@ciottolo – I haven’t seen Gwendalys before (unless that was supposed to be Gwendaly :wink: ) Thanks, I don’t think you’ve confused me. I’m just down to a point where I’m nitpicking between a short list of things that both hubby and I agreed to a preliminary “let’s see if they grow on us,” since there doesn’t seem to be any one name that is just screaming perfection at us.

@sleepysessha – And a negatory vote on [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. Yeah, I’m just kind of grasping at straws here because I could get behind [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] as a nn but I’m not loving it as a given name. So far hubby has given no indication of liking [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] as a [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] nn whatsoever. Also appreciate your weighing in on the other ideas. It’s really helpful to work some of the tangles out among “nerds” who “get it” lol.

@mousehouse7 – Bubbles for Champagne, LOL. That’s hilarious. I wonder if the [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] names are regional, as I’ve never met one, ever. My personal opinion on Paltrow is that she’s a flash in the pan and will hold no historic weight in the long run. By the time a potential [name_f]Gwenyth[/name_f] of my own is grown I doubt anybody will even remember the actress anymore. I appreciate your taking the time to write out all your different ideas too.

Haha, sorry, yes, that was supposed to be Gwendaly… For someone quite strongly opposed to ‘made-up’ names, I seem to be creating them myself quite a lot lately! Although, with [name_f]Alice[/name_f] as a nickname, it could grow on me…

Ooh, sorry for clogging up the thread, thought just hit me about a name I’m trying to export to anybody who will have it; [name_f]Eurydice[/name_f] would nickname to [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] quite nicely I feel. It may not be your style, but I’m throwing it out there as a husband placater… This is the last post (in a row) I promise, sorry!

LOL, that’s ok. [name_f]Eurydice[/name_f] is not quite my cup of hot chocolate but you’re right, it would convert to [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] as a nn rather conveniently.

I had a quick little briefing with the hubby…I knew Gwendaly would go either one direction or the other, and it went into the “weird” box. [name_f]Gwenora[/name_f] seems to be okay, and [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] is fine too (he likes the Y spelling better) so those may go on the list. He likes [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_u]Dagny[/name_u], and most of the nn ideas for [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] but they still haven’t really gotten him on board with it. Also he advises not to go crazy looking for a [name_f]Rose[/name_f]-inspired compromise since he doesn’t really care about it THAT much. So, several questions answered there. Thanks for the help.