Dalia vs Delia

Ok - so my wife and I are having our first baby. It’s a girl. We’re looking for a D name.

So I have 2 questions:

1. [name]Dalia[/name] or [name]Delia[/name]. And why?

and

1. There’s a semi-conflict with both. We were hoping to name her a name that none of our friends’ kids are named. My wife just realized that our friend’s daughter [name]Dee[/name] is short for [name]Delia[/name], and now she’s wondering whether it would now be awkward to name our daughter [name]Delia[/name]. Also, one of our best friend’s names is [name]Talia[/name]. Is that too close to [name]Dalia[/name]? Would it seem like we’re naming her after our friend if we went with [name]Dalia[/name]? Thoughts?

Sorry for my neurotic questions.

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks so much name enthusiasts!!!

1. [name]Dalia[/name] or [name]Delia[/name]?
    They are both wonderful names but personally I prefer [name]Delia[/name], mainly because it has a softer, lighter sound to it where as [name]Dalia[/name] has a darker sound, and secondly because in my area at least it is practically unheard of

2. [name]How[/name] old is your friends daughter? If they are close in age and you would expect them to spend a lot of time together, I would either come up with a different nn for [name]Delia[/name] (like [name]Lia[/name]) or go with [name]Dalia[/name]. And as for [name]Talia[/name], I pronounce the two names differently, [name]Talia[/name] I pronounce with a ‘al’ sound like in ‘alligator’ while [name]Dalia[/name] I pronounce more like an ‘o’ sound like [name]Doll[/name], or Lollipop

Another name you might consider is [name]Delphia[/name]

I personally prefer [name]Delia[/name] over [name]Dalia[/name], no other reason then I just like the sound of it better.

Are you and your wife real close to the friend with the daughter [name]Delia[/name]/[name]Dee[/name]? [name]How[/name] do you pronoucne it? [name]How[/name] do they pronounce it? [name]Will[/name] the children be growing up together? [name]Will[/name] your friend be hurt if you use the same name? I think all of these things play a factor. But what it really comes down to, is if you really love the name and want to use it, then use it. [name]Dalia[/name] is the same thing really. Yes, it’s close to [name]Talia[/name], does that bother you or do you love it anyway?

Some other ‘D’ names that are similiar

[name]Dalila[/name]
[name]Darla[/name]
[name]Della[/name]
[name]Delora[/name]

Much prefer [name]Delia[/name] over [name]Dalia[/name]. Its a much fresher sounding name, and to me [name]Dalia[/name] sounds like a name thats trying to hard (to me it sounds like an english women saying “Darling” ie “Dahling” in a very stuck up manner).
IF you’re looking for a “D” name though here are some other suggestions:
[name]Delila[/name] (love the nn [name]Del[/name], or [name]Lila[/name])
[name]Daisy[/name] - sweet and spunky
[name]Delainy[/name]/[name]Delaney[/name] (yet again, the nn [name]Del[/name] or [name]Laine[/name] or [name]Lainey[/name] spikes my interest)
[name]Dree[/name] (pn. either “Tree” with a D or “Dray” - i prefer the latter)
[name]Danica[/name]
[name]Darcy[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]/[name]Dorothea[/name] (nn [name]Dot[/name]/[name]Dottie[/name])

hope this helps!

I like both. I had A similar name (Edalia) on my list as well. I think [name]Dalia/name is cute bc I love the nn [name]Dolly[/name] with it. Sadly it reminds me too much of the black [name]Dahlia[/name] story, so I’ve always thought it might not be a good idea to use it. [name]Delia[/name] is nice, but I like [name]Delilah[/name] wayyy better. Maybe you could name her [name]Delilah[/name] and her nn could be [name]Delia[/name], [name]Dillie[/name] or [name]Lila[/name]…

I like [name]Delia[/name] better, purely based on the sound. I understand the concerns about having people think you’re copying… What about

[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Dasha[/name]
[name]Dharma[/name]
[name]Doria[/name]

Thanks everyone. We prefer [name]Delia[/name] too. The friend’s child will be 12 yrs older, and they probably wouldn’t meet. It’s more just that we are in the same circle of friends and we wouldn’t want to be thought of as name-stealers :slight_smile:

But we’re definitely leaning toward [name]Delia[/name] currently.

Any votes for [name]Dalia[/name]? Or is it unanimous?

Also - do people like [name]Delia[/name]? Or is it just that it’s better than [name]Dalia[/name]?

Again thanks everyone for putting up with my neurotic questions!

Yes, I agree with the others, [name]Delia[/name]'s the way to go. [name]Dalia[/name] looks like a misspelled [name]Dahlia[/name] to me, and I suppose you could use [name]Dahlia[/name], especially if you’re into floral names. It’s a slight pronunciation difference, too.

But, I had a thought - why not get the best of both worlds and use [name]Delilah[/name]? The strong “dee” of [name]Delia[/name] and the softness and sweetness of [name]Dalia[/name] all in one name. [name]Lilah[/name] is a cute nickname, too…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I have to disagree with everyone and vote for [name]Dalia[/name] - I like it a lot better. That’s actually the name that I am probably going to use if I have a girl. I think that it is beautiful and feminine and I just love the way that it sounds. I usually don’t like flower names, but because [name]Dahlia[/name]'s aren’t as common as other flowers, it doesn’t bother me.
My main problem with [name]Delia[/name] is that there is a clothing store that was popular when I was a teenager and is now super popular again for teenagers called [name]Delia[/name]'s. I can’t separate the name from that.
As far as the friends go, not sure about that. I’m the first of my friends to be pregnant so don’t know how people react to “stolen names.” However, it seems strange to me that anyone would get upset. Personally, if a friend used the same or a similar name to mine I would be really flattered.

I think [name]Dalia[/name] is just beautiful! it was on my list for a while but doesn’t work with our surname so well. very distinctive and elegant! can be shorten to Dali which is cute and artistic sounding. i think of an older woman being called [name]Delia[/name]…not sure I like the dee bit but that’s just a personal preference… :smiley:

I prefer [name]Dahlia[/name] to either, and [name]Delilah[/name] even more again! Between [name]Delia[/name] and [name]Dalia[/name] I’d probably go for [name]Dalia[/name]. That’s mostly my hang up though because here in the UK, [name]Delia[/name] [name]Smith[/name] is a prominent tv chef kind of like a middle aged [name]Martha[/name] [name]Stewart[/name] type so I can only imagine it on an older woman. But without that association in the US both names are lovely.

Good luck!

I much prefer [name]Dahlia[/name] (spelled this way) or [name]Cordelia[/name] nn [name]Delia[/name]. These would also cover your hang-ups with [name]Dalia[/name] and [name]Delia[/name] (which lack substance to me).

Is anyone else reminded of the teenage clothing brand [name]Delia[/name]*s?

And if so, is that a bad thing?

I have to agree exactly with the poster that mentioned the clothing store and [name]Delia[/name]. I much prefer [name]Dalia[/name] or [name]Dahlia[/name]. It seems more sophisticated and Romantic. It does have a bit of a dark feeling but not in a bad way. It seems mysterious and exotic. I don’t hate [name]Delia[/name] but to me it just doesn’t seem to have as much depth. I do like [name]Lemon[/name]'s suggestion of [name]Delilah[/name] if you are not loving [name]Dalia[/name]. Best of luck!

I like [name]Delia[/name] much better. I just don’t like the way [name]Dalia[/name] sounds. It kinda reminds me of [name]Talia[/name] but not really… I can’t really put my finger on it.
And if your friend’s daughter goes by [name]Dee[/name], then you shouldn’t have a problem. If you wanted, you could even call her [name]Lia[/name].

I love [name]Dahlia[/name] it sounds glamorous.

If you live in LA there is the old legendary [name]Black[/name] [name]Dahlia[/name] murder case (you can google it). [name]Just[/name] to be aware of . But most people would never think of that.