Daniela: What do Americans think?

Hello everyone,

I wonder what Americans think about the name Daniela. Also, how likely would people mispronounce the nickname [name]Dana[/name] (Duh-nuh)?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

[name]Love[/name] [name]Daniela[/name]. [name]Danielle[/name] is much more common. I would pronounce it [name]Dann[/name]-yell-ah, so that may not @be youpronunciation. [name]Dana[/name] is usuall pronounced day-nah.

[name]Daniela[/name] is pretty. [name]Dani[/name] is a more common nickname for [name]Danielle[/name] than [name]Dana[/name], at least in my friend groups. [name]Dana[/name] would likely be pronounced day-nuh as the previous poster said.

As an American who is named [name]Danielle[/name]…[name]Daniela[/name] is definitely not overused or associated with anything. It is great as an international name. Go for it!

[name]Dana[/name] is day-nah!

Editing because I didn’t realize that you want to use Dana as a nn for Daniela. I have never come across this and it would sound strange, as Dana is a name on its own. Use Dani instead!

Thank you everyone! :slight_smile:

I know [name]Dana[/name] is usually pronounced as [name]Day[/name]-nah, but I thought maybe it’s also could be pronounced as Duh-nuh…? Or maybe there’s some other spelling? As for [name]Dani[/name], I love it as a nickname as well. [name]How[/name] do you usually pronounce it, though?

I think [name]Daniela[/name] is gorgeous. [name]Dana[/name] is a no go for me. [name]Du[/name] nuh sounds like dung. Sorry. [name]Dani[/name] would be prn [name]Danee[/name]. I don’t care for nn so I would call her [name]Daniela[/name].

[name]Daniela[/name] is very sweet. :slight_smile: I have only ever met one [name]Daniela[/name]–she’s in my sister’s class in high school. I always liked her big sister’s name ([name]Anamaria[/name]), but [name]Daniela[/name] is lovely. I agree that the French [name]Danielle[/name] is much more common than [name]Daniela[/name] is. [name]Danielle[/name] was pretty popular for my age group, so it might be a bit dated to that, and while I think some might lump [name]Daniela[/name] in with [name]Danielle[/name], I think it is a bit more timeless because it’s more obscure.

And I agree with the others, [name]Dana[/name] is [name]DAY[/name]-nah. If you want Dah-nah, that would probably be [name]Donna[/name], which is still really dated here. Either one has a bit of a dated feel, much more than [name]Daniela[/name], anyway.

Good luck!

[name]Daniela[/name] is lovely! I prefer the spelling [name]Daniella[/name], but they’re both quite nice.

[name]Danielle[/name] was very popular in the 80s & 90s, but [name]Daniela[/name] & [name]Daniella[/name] sound fresh to me.

I have a (caucasian) cousin named [name]Daniela[/name] who is currently in her 30’s and lives in [name]California[/name]. [name]Even[/name] though [name]Danielle[/name] was very common for our generation and in our area, [name]Daniela[/name]'s name still stood out. Now, with [name]Danielle[/name] being so much less common, I believe that [name]Daniela[/name] would be even more striking.

I’ve known two [name]Dana[/name]'s and both have pronounced it [name]DAY[/name]-nuh. I think that that’s the go-to pronunciation in the US.

I love [name]Daniela[/name]! I’ve never heard anything like Dah-nah, but it sounds cute to me too.

[name]Daniela[/name] is pretty!

I live in the U.S. And know a [name]Daniela[/name]. She goes by [name]Dani[/name] sometimes. As far as I know. She’s never had a problem with her name. I think it’s lovely.

Congrats!

When I first saw the name it took me a moment to realize how it was pronounced. But I do like the different spelling,. [name]Just[/name] keep in mind that other people may feel this way as well.

I really like [name]Daniela[/name], but I’m not American I’m Canadian.

[name]Danielle[/name] feels a bit dated and “bland”, [name]Daniela[/name] is fresher, but it does have a touch of dated feel. I like the nn [name]Dana[/name], but here it’d be said day-na. [name]Daniela[/name] is very versatile imo, I’ve seen it on latina, black, and white children.

I know a bunch of different variations of this name, but I think [name]Daniela[/name] is by far the prettiest. If you don’t mind a moderately popular name for your daughter it’s perfect :).

I’m not sure how to get duh-nuh from [name]Daniela[/name], but if you don’t like day-na, I did know a [name]Danielle[/name] that went by [name]Dana[/name] but pronounced it dan-ah (like the boys name with a short a at the end). Everyone first assumed she was day-na but once she said it, it was easy to remember as dan-a. I hope my attempts at pronunciation weren’t too confusing!