Daphne vs Lauren

Which name do you prefer and what is your general impression of each name? Does [name_u]Lauren[/name_u] sound too dated?

2 Likes

[name_u]Lauren[/name_u] is my personal preference, I’ve always been a huge fan of it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It feels more modern classic to me thanks to [name_u]Lauren[/name_u] Bacall. It’s been well used thanks to her since the 1940s!

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] is nice but all I think of is Scooby Doo and the 90s/00s sitcom [name_m]Frasier[/name_m] - neither are bad associations, just not my fave! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t find [name_u]Lauren[/name_u] dated-- I know [name_m]Laurens[/name_m] who are young (early 20s and a couple of years old.) I personally prefer [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], it’s more unexpected and less ‘plain’ to me.

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] is pretty! Clunky cute!
[name_u]Lauren[/name_u] is sweet too and unexpected these days

I know a LOT of [name_m]Laurens[/name_m] (my own age) and I’ve never met a [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], so I would definitely prefer [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] for a baby. But maybe that willbe the opposite for the baby’s own generation!

I prefer [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]. Neither sound particularly dated but [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] is prettier IMO.

I prefer [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], just because it does feel to have a little more ‘spark’. [name_u]Lauren[/name_u] does feel a little lacklustre to me.

I prefer [name_f]Daphne[/name_f].

I put [name_u]Lauren[/name_u] in the category of ‘names that were popular in the 80s and 90s and therefore won’t be again for a while’ if you know what I mean.

Whereas [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] is one of those ‘old-fashioned’ names that sound cool again.

However, I don’t think [name_u]Lauren[/name_u] is a bad name at all, it’s just that I personally prefer [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]. I love Greek names and the mythological connection.

All in all, you really can’t go wrong here. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

[name_u]Lauren[/name_u] does feel dated to me. Where I live the [name_m]Laurens[/name_m] are in their 20s/30s. I’d pick sweet, timeless [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]!

Daphne!! one of my favourite names :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Both are nice! [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] reminds me of Scooby Doo, which imo is a nice association
I do know about eight [name_m]Laurens[/name_m] and a couple of [name_m]Lorens[/name_m] my age (16-17) if that impacts anything.

I prefer [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], but both names are good. [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] feels more sophisticated (where I live girls with this name were often polite and had good grades). [name_u]Lauren[/name_u] feels more like the girl next door, friendly and popular.

Both are nice! [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] gets my vote!

I love the name [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], but I do pause with the slightly negative mythology. I prefer [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Lori[/name_f] and [name_u]Laurel[/name_u] to [name_u]Lauren[/name_u].

Oh, this is so hard. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is [name_u]Lauren[/name_u], and for a long while I’ve preferred it over my first name and wished I had gone by that since childhood. I do think it’s got a relatively classic sound and matures well (sounds adult, but isn’t off-putting on a child).
But. [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] is a huge name crush for me. It’s in a funny category I’ll call, “names that don’t work in my family, but that I desperately want others I love to use”. I think of it similarly–light and fun on a child, but grows well and has an air of seriousness for an adult. Not something you can say about every name!

I love [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]. Reminds me of [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], which is another favorite.

I prefer [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_u]Laurel[/name_u] or [name_f]Lorna[/name_f] over [name_u]Lauren[/name_u].

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] all the way, for me. I don’t much care for [name_u]Lauren[/name_u]! It sounds very 1990s/2000s “popular” to me.

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] definitely wins.
Very elegant, feminine and unexpected.

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] is a timeless name, a classic, and a gorgeous, fragrant flower. I’ve never been keen on [name_u]Lauren[/name_u] which feels dated (though I didn’t like it when it was popular either). Something about it sounds made-up to me, unlike [name_u]Laurel[/name_u], which I love.

I love how solid and pretty [name_u]Lauren[/name_u] feels. [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] sounds a bit… frivolous to me.