Darcy vs Louis

I’m due any day and we’re still deciding between [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] and [name_m]Louis[/name_m] for baby boy. We will probably make our final decision after his arrival, but I’d love to know your thoughts! This is a brother for [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m].

• Darcy
  • Louis (LOU-ee)

0 voters

I think [name_m]Louis[/name_m] is perfect with [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]! [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] is a great name too, and works well, but [name_m]Louis[/name_m] just fits perfectly.

Darcy!! I think [name_m]Louis[/name_m] goes well, I just not totally crazy about the name myself.

Darcy is on my list of literary inspired names so I am a fan of [name_u]Darcy[/name_u]. That said, it’s a close call as I think [name_m]Louis[/name_m] pronounced [name_u]Lou[/name_u]-ee would work possibly better with [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. I picked [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] for the vote but it’s probably a tie if I am honest.

ETA. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you would pronounce [name_m]Louis[/name_m] as [name_u]Lou[/name_u]-ee though, will most people say it that way? I often prefer spellings that are more phonetic and don’t require a lot of correction.

Darcy is so handsome, and fits in perfectly with [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]!!

[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] is absolutely wonderful with your sibset! :heart_eyes:

Definitely [name_u]Darcy[/name_u]! It’s so unexpected, and I love it with your older children’s names.

Exciting! Best of luck :four_leaf_clover:

I voted [name_m]Louis[/name_m], it’s just so perfect with V and H. It’s a sweet, solid vintage name that feels cool and current, but far from overused. [name_m]Just[/name_m] perfect stylistically with the other two, plus I think it’s a beautiful name.

That said, I love [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] too as a more unexpected option! I like the literary link and it just sounds so dashing and interesting. So I really think you can’t go wrong here.

2 Likes

Louis! For me, [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] has completely gone to the girls for better or worse.

1 Like

I love both, probably equally, and I think both are brilliant with [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], so choosing one is difficult! I voted for [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] as it’s been growing on me a lot of late but really, I could just as easily have voted for [name_m]Louis[/name_m] at any other moment. So basically, I’m no help! Sorry :neutral_face: If I were you I’d decide once you meet your son. Seeing him might give you some clarity.

I’m pretty sure @sarahmezz1 is in Australia (like me) - here, people pronounce [name_m]Louis[/name_m] ‘LOU-ee’ so luckily pronunciation shouldn’t be an issue.

3 Likes

I’m in Australia so most people would automatically say LOU-ee.

2 Likes

In Australia I think [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] is still seen as a masculine name. I get that it’s more unisex/girly overseas.

2 Likes

Love the name [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] for a boy.
Good luck!

Having looked at your other threads, I’ve gone for [name_u]Darcy[/name_u].

Normally I’d have picked [name_m]Louis[/name_m], a lovely name (and I much prefer that pronunciation to [name_m]Lewis[/name_m], it’s also the common pronunciation here in the UK) but I think [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] works, especially since it’s still a male name over there.

You couldn’t go wrong with either of these, but I ended up going for [name_u]Darcy[/name_u]. Someone mentioned in another of your threads that [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_m]Louis[/name_m] both sound quite similar because of the ‘oo’ sound, but it’s a very nitpicky thing and they could definitely still work together. I just love both names and it was the only qualm I could think of to help me decide!

I voted for [name_m]Louis[/name_m] because I don’t like how [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] is unisex.

I love [name_m]Louis[/name_m] with your other kids names. [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] would definitely be a more unexpected and bold choice but it really does go nicely with the other names. I tend to think of [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] more as a girl name, but I haven’t met a male [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] to sway me otherwise. Best of luck to you!