Darcy: What Do You Think?

I’ve been crushing on [name]Darcy[/name] lately. I like it for either a boy or a girl, which is weird because I’m usually cool toward unisex names, and when I like one, I usually choose the sex for which I believe that name works better.

This is how I’m seeing [name]Darcy[/name] lately –
For a boy – Western or Eastern, cowboy or [name]Ivy[/name] League, American or British, works perfectly in all that and more. A handsome name, roguish or nice guy.

For a girl – willowy, graceful, dancer name.

Am I crazy? Is it love – or just infatuation? Is [name]Darcy[/name] too feminine for a boy and too boyish for a girl?

I like the name [name]Darcy[/name], but I feel it is very feminine and suits a girl much better nowadays!

For me, the name [name]Darcy[/name] will forever be associated with the wonderul, dark and handsome [name]Colin[/name] [name]Firth[/name] in [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name]'s “Pride & Prejudice”. Of course, his character’s name was [name]Fitzwilliam[/name] [name]Darcy[/name] but he was always called “Mr [name]Darcy[/name]”. I do think the name has been chosen more for girls lately and it does sound more feminine. It’s strange that you should think of a female dancer with this name because there was one called [name]Darcey[/name] Bussell in [name]England[/name]. She spells it the “feminine” way if there is such a thing. I’ve also seen it spelled [name]Darcie[/name] and D’Arcy. I guess it depends on what you’re comfortable with naming a son. It is a truly unisex name.

I share your association, mischa. Maybe that is why I can think of this name as masculine. But I see it not only as great ballerina AND handsome English gentleman, but as a fine cowboy. Perhaps I’m crazy… But I would like to point out it is very popular, for both sexes, in Great [name]Britain[/name].

[name]Bonnie[/name], that’s weird, I was just talking about the name [name]Darcy[/name]! I love it too. I can’t help but like the idea of it for a boy because Mr. [name]Fitzwilliam[/name] [name]Darcy[/name] is one of my favorite male characters in all literature (not to mention that I picture [name]Colin[/name] [name]Firth[/name] when I think of it-- swoon!) Yep, I can picture it on an [name]Ivy[/name] League frat boy, a cowboy, or a British fop… but on a toddler on the playground, a boy in a classroom, or an accountant/salesman/business man, I honestly can’t see it working out too well. In general, I do think it’s too feminine for a boy.

I think [name]Darcy[/name] is entirely usable and really cute for a girl, though! I can definitely picture the graceful dancer type ([name]Darcey[/name] Bussel is a famous English ballerina), but I can also see it on a girl with slightly alternative style (maybe a pretty singer-songwriter with pink hair, or something!) However, I can also see it on straight-A student, a happy little girl, or a successful grown woman.

I really don’t think it sounds masculine at all on a girl… I guess the Mr. [name]Darcy[/name] image can be easily disposed of when we’re talking about a girl [name]Darcy[/name]. It’s a great name for a girl, and I’d probably consider it myself if it didn’t clash with my ln. [name]Hope[/name] that helps a little :slight_smile:

[name]Edit[/name]: Sorry, I didn’t see [name]Mischa[/name]'s post before submitting so excuse the repetition! Also, is it really popular for both sexes in Great [name]Britain[/name]??

Yep. Check out this list:

Cool, thanks for the link! I remember reading that blog but had forgotten [name]Darcy[/name]/[name]Darcey[/name] was on there (I especially thought I would’ve remembered seeing it on the boys list-- that surprises me!) I guess it may not be seen as too feminine for a boy after all, at least in the UK.