Darragh

I’ve always had a soft spot for the name [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] (da-rah), and I’d love to use it one day. I’ve seen conflicting results on the meaning of the name - Nameberry lists its meaning as “oak tree”, while Behind The Name lists [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] as meaning “fruitful, fertile”. It’s always felt so wonderfully, refreshingly handsome to me, but, I don’t know if I’m alone in that sentiment or not.

What are your thoughts on the name [name_u]Darragh[/name_u]? Potential combos would be [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] [name_m]Adam[/name_m] or [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] [name_u]Liam[/name_u].

Thank you!

6 Likes

In the US, it would be a brave choice, but it’s very handsome!

I quite like [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u].

2 Likes

I really like [name_u]Darragh[/name_u]! I first saw it while doing an Irish names signature a year or so ago, and it was one of my favorites from that list. I think it might get pronunciation issues occasionally, but it’s an easy correction.

Darragh [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] [name_u]Liam[/name_u] are my favorites from your combos.

2 Likes

Oh, I like it! Definitely has a beautiful sound. :blush: I like [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] [name_u]Liam[/name_u].
I’ve seen the Anglicized version [name_u]Dara[/name_u] more often but [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] does look more masculine to me.

1 Like

I really like it!

1 Like

I don’t like the name, sorry
Neither the spelling nor the pronunciation.
Names ending in -agh don’t look pleasing to me.
[name_u]Dara[/name_u] sounds more fitting for a female name, IMO.
Sorry!

:frowning: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I like the name out loud well enough, but when reading the name I feel like I havent finished saying it since I’m done before I get to the gh.

1 Like

Love [name_u]Darragh[/name_u]! So handsome, and both soft and strong. Out of your combos, I think [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] [name_u]Liam[/name_u] is lovely!

1 Like

Very handsome!

1 Like

I love [name_u]Darragh[/name_u], it’s such a handsome name, I love [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u].

About the meanings [name_u]Dara[/name_u] means oak tree in Irish and Dáire means fruitful, fertile and both get the anglicization [name_u]Darragh[/name_u], so really it means either both or neither depending on how you look at it.

3 Likes

My first ever best friend was called [name_u]Darragh[/name_u]!! He was Irish :blush: (i’m in the UK) I think it’s a really handsome choice!

1 Like

Love [name_u]Dara[/name_u]/Darragh [name_u]James[/name_u]

1 Like

Darragh is rugged and handsome. I like it [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] [name_u]Liam[/name_u] is nice

1 Like

Thank you everyone! I feel like [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] is going to make it to my currently-non-existent boys list :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you! That makes more sense. I just always assumed it came from Dáire, so I guess I’ll go with that pronunciation? :joy:

3 Likes

I really like it. I love boys’ names ending in A (or the A sound) and Irish has some lovely ones — [name_m]Donnacha[/name_m], Ruadh, Eanna/Enda, etc.

Darragh [name_u]James[/name_u] would be my pick :black_heart:

2 Likes

I like it! Reminds me of [name_u]Dana[/name_u] on a boy. I think it would be a brave choice but it’s handsome.

1 Like

The only [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] I know is a girl, but I actually really like it on a boy! [name_u]Darragh[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] is so perfect! It’s both handsome and classic!

1 Like

Is the first syllable pronounced like “dare” or “car with a D”?

1 Like

It seems to depend on who you ask, I’ve found from the internet? I pronounce it as “Car with a D” - ah, but I’ve heard Dare-ah too.

1 Like

Hmm… interesting. I don’t really know how I feel about the name in general, but I think it’s definitely usable.