Darwin Elliot

What do you think of the name [name]Darwin[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]?

Thanks!

I like [name]Elliot[/name], but I think [name]Darwin[/name] should be more of a guilty pleasure name. [name]Darwin[/name] is very tied to [name]Charles[/name] and evolution, which is unfortunately not 100% accepted in the US. I think [name]Charles[/name] [name]Darwin[/name] is great and am strongly against creationism, but the fact is there are people who will judge a child named [name]Darwin[/name] or his parents. I don’t think any name is worth that risk.

I like both names individually. I think [name]Darwin[/name] is a pretty bad-ass name to give a boy. It also means “dear one” right? So that’s nice. To me, they’re both names of famous people- [name]Charles[/name] [name]Darwin[/name] and TS [name]Eliot[/name], so together it feels to me like you’re trying to create a baby genius! Feels a bit nerdy. I’d use one of those names along with another more modern (or just lighter) name to temper the possible nerd-factor. [name]Just[/name] one person’s opinion. [name]Elliot[/name] has a great rolling sound.

This is very true. I forget sometimes how quick people are to judge a child for the name their parents chose.

A baby genius isn’t the intention with the name, but I’m not complaining if that’s the result!

You have some interesting points that I should take into consideration with the names I choose.

I think I’d prefer [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Darwin[/name]!

If you are concerned about offending people (which I don’t personally think you should be) then what about [name]Elliott[/name] [name]Darwin[/name] :)? I think a lot of creationists are coming to see that [name]Darwin[/name] doesn’t necessarily contradict creationism anyway but I see the pp’s point. Anyway, I love [name]Darwin[/name] and would enjoy meeting a little boy with the name. You have great taste!

I too really love the name [name]Darwin[/name] and I too believe evolutionary theory to be correct, but yes I feel like this is a bit of a politically loaded name, and I don’t think children’s names are the right place to do that (even when I agree with the side invoked by the name).

I think [name]Darwin[/name] is better as a middle name. [name]Darwin[/name] is such a well known figure. [name]Even[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] vetoed it on Friends!

[name]Elliot[/name] [name]Darwin[/name] would be the better way to go.

I’m going to go ahead and assume that [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Darwin[/name] is a name that would have a better reception because of the evolution issue. It’s a bit of a bummer, to be honest. I don’t like [name]Elliot[/name] nearly as much as I like [name]Darwin[/name].

Oh well!

:slight_smile:

I think the problem is [name]Darwin[/name] is a surname… if you went with [name]Charles[/name], then there would be no problems :slight_smile:

[name]Elliot[/name] [name]Charles[/name]
[name]Charles[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]

I’m assuming though you just like the sound of [name]Darwin[/name]… but if it is because of the person, [name]Charles[/name] would be the better choice.

I really love [name]Darwin[/name] [name]Elliot[/name], actually! While I very strongly am a creationist, I love [name]Darwin[/name]'s meaning “dear friend”, and I can separate it from the scientist. I could never use it, though, lol–I can just imagine the panic attack my church (not to mention my mother!) would have if I used the name. ha. As you’re not using it as a mission statement or political statement, I have no problem with it. I do think [name]Darwin[/name] could be highly problematic, though. :frowning: Maybe poll some people in your area, of varying back-grounds (Starbucks barista, fast food restaurant employee, college kids, family, dentist, children, coworkers, etc., haha, if you have access to that variety of people–especially those who are Christians and those who aren’t).

Good luck!

What about other names with similar sounds? “win” names? [name]Wyn[/name], [name]Winslow[/name], [name]Winston[/name], [name]Wynton[/name], [name]Sherwin[/name], Caerwyn, [name]Tiernan[/name], [name]Rowan[/name], [name]Cassian[/name]… There’s [name]Derwin[/name], but it’s not as nice as [name]Darwin[/name], imo. Are there any other names you’ve considered?

Smart idea! Once we’re pregnant and have it narrowed down some we’ll have to do that.

We haven’t started TTC after a loss we had in [name]July[/name]. So, really I’m just playing with names at the moment.

Similar to [name]Darwin[/name], we have [name]Martin[/name], [name]Edwin[/name], and [name]Franklin[/name]. I have a soft spot for -in/-win names.

Other names on the list at the moment are: [name]Ralph[/name], [name]Solomon[/name], [name]Edgar[/name], [name]Samson[/name], [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Silas[/name], and [name]Jonah[/name].

Something to consider:

Yep. [name]Just[/name] saw you post that on the other [name]Darwin[/name] thread. It is something to consider. Thanks!

Sorry for your loss [name]Finch[/name]. Something about playing with names gives one hope though. I’m in a similar place, and I’ve just been obsessed with baby names lately.

Thank you. I’m really just coming to terms with it. That’s part of the waiting. I don’t want to feel like I’m replacing one with another.

Of course, I can’t really blame my name obsession on that. I’ve always loved names.

:slight_smile: