Database entries you’d like to see amended

A few more!

[name_f]Gizella[/name_f] - Listed as [name_m]German[/name_m], but it’s the Hungarian form of [name_f]Giselle[/name_f]. Pronounced GEE-ZEH-lah, hard G

[name_f]Ildikó[/name_f] - Listed as [name_m]German[/name_m], but it’s Hungarian, from [name_f]Hilda[/name_f]. The entry for the same name but without the accent, [name_f]Ildiko[/name_f], has more information on the pronunciation & origin that could be copied to the [name_f]Ildikó[/name_f] version of the entry! Maybe with a note under [name_f]Ildiko[/name_f] that the [name_f]Ildikó[/name_f] spelling is the original?

[name_f]Aranka[/name_f] - The meaning & origin are correct, it does come from [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], but this version of the name is Hungarian, not Latin!

[name_f]Agota[/name_f] - Listed as Greek, but it’s the Hungarian form of [name_f]Agatha[/name_f]. The original spelling is Ágota, pronounced AH-go-taw. Also, in the [name_f]Famous[/name_f] People section, one individual has her name spelled as Ágota, while the other as [name_f]Agota[/name_f]. I’m not sure why they’d be different, I think Ágota is correct for both!

[name_m]Zoltán[/name_m] - No description, I think it’d be relatively easy to copy the description from [name_m]Zoltan[/name_m], with an extra note about how this spelling is also used in Slovakia and that it’s the original traditional form of the name (or maybe this last bit about the original spelling could go in the [name_m]Zoltan[/name_m] entry instead)!

[name_m]Antal[/name_m] - Listed as Latin, but it’s the Hungarian form of [name_m]Anthony[/name_m], pronounced AWN-tawl

[name_m]Mátyás[/name_m] - Listed as Hebrew, it’s actually the Hungarian form of [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] (pronounced something like MAH-kyaash but the “ty” sound doesn’t have an exact [name_f]English[/name_f] equivalent!).
There’s also an empty [name_m]Matyas[/name_m] entry, but I’m not sure if it’s meant to be an anglicized version of [name_m]Mátyás[/name_m], or an anglicized version of the Czech [name_m]Matyáš[/name_m].

[name_m]Nándor[/name_m] - Listed as a [name_m]German[/name_m] variation of [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m], but that would be [name_m]Nandor[/name_m]. When spelt like this, it’s the Hungarian variant!

[name_m]Zsigmond[/name_m] - Listed as [name_m]German[/name_m], but it’s the Hungarian variant of [name_m]Sigmund[/name_m], pronounced ZHEEG-mond

[name_m]Gáspár[/name_m] - Listed as a Spanish variation of [name_m]Casper[/name_m], but it’s Hungarian, pronounced GASH-par

[name_m]Agoston[/name_m] - Listed as the [name_m]German[/name_m] form of [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], but it’s the Hungarian form, pronounced AH-gosh-ton. The traditional spelling is Ágoston!

[name_m]Benedek[/name_m] - Listed as Latin, but it’s the Hungarian form of [name_m]Benedict[/name_m], pronounced BEH-neh-dehk

3 Likes