Database entries you’d like to see amended

According to Forebears.io, in US and UK Laurence is 99-100% masculine.

5 Likes

i think the description for Connie is a little blunt. It ranked at 136 in England & Wales in 2019, so it doesn’t seem outdated to me.

Maybe something like:

“Connie is a sweet and charming name, and a great, less common alternative to the rising -ie names like Ellie and Hallie. While it may feel outdated in the US, the name ranks in the top 200 in the UK and has a vintage charm that makes it ready for a comeback”

12 Likes

It also doesn’t mention that the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation of [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] sounds very different to the [name_f]English[/name_f] one.

1 Like

I think this is just a typo but there should be a space between j and due. @katinka

3 Likes

What sorts of things would you want flagged?

Any opinions or judgements on names or only ones that are inappropriate? I’m asking because of the entry for [name_f]Vanna[/name_f], it really depends what you’re going for, because I don’t think it’s necessarily untrue that [name_f]Vanna[/name_f] is associated with [name_f]Vanna[/name_f] White, but the way it’s phrased is certainly just one person’s opinion.

The other thing is voice, there are some instances where it’s clear to me the author is a white American presumably speaking to other white Americans, is that a stylistic choice or do you want those flagged?

Trying to figure out how to be most helpful as I come across different name pages!

3 Likes

I just wanted to know is there’s a reason the meanings of Haley are different.

Principally those that are inappropriate or offensive. I know the site creators have no desire to remove all subjective opinion from NB as that personal voice is part of the brand, but we obviously want to update any entries that are inappropriate.

That would certainly count as something we’d like to update; please do flag those up and we’ll take a look.

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s helpful to know

I personally just don’t like when any of the entries have snarky comments to the names.

It’s one thing if it is a name like [name_f]Isis[/name_f] or [name_m]Adolf[/name_m] that require a warning. But usually the rest of the data on the page will make these comments for me.

Ex. If you look at the popularity of a name like [name_u]Connie[/name_u] it will show you what era the name belongs in and you can assess for yourself if it is worth it not.

Same with Masculine / Feminine lines for a name. You can look at the rankings, the usage, and similar names (or comments back when they were there) to see if a name was Masculine, Feminine, or more Unisex.

The description should just be about meaning, origin, and history of a name. The rankings, usage/notable persons, and similar names are usually enough to get readers the information they need.

8 Likes

The description for [name_f]Imperia[/name_f] seems a tad rude. It’s no worse than names like [name_f]Empress[/name_f] in my opinion. It could instead mention how it’s a namesake of a city in [name_f]Italy[/name_f] or a music artist ?

5 Likes

i assume this is a typo, but on the entry for [name_f]Latoya[/name_f], it says !995 which i presume is supposed to be 1995

3 Likes

I think the entry for [name_u]Wren[/name_u] (b) needs updating as it says that it is on the verge of entering the top 1000 for girls but it is now in the US top 500! (And even higher in the UK!)

3 Likes

I’d like to suggest an addition to Marja’s entry: in addition to being a variation of [name_u]Maria[/name_u], [name_f]Marja[/name_f] means berry in Finnish, which makes it a sweet, Berry-ish nature name. :wink:

10 Likes

I’m not sure how this happened, but no

Meaning and description don’t match

7 Likes

just found a tiny thing — the entry for [name_u]Blu[/name_u] says that it’s the name of one of the Waldrop quintuplets, who are actually sextuplets :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The entry for [name_f]Cinnamon[/name_f] could be improved, it says “saffron is the only spice name we have a taste for” and kind of dismisses [name_f]Cinnamon[/name_f]. There are plenty of other spice names like [name_u]Clove[/name_u], [name_u]Pepper[/name_u], [name_f]Anise[/name_f], and even [name_u]Basil[/name_u] that are known, so it’s an odd entry

7 Likes

Tiny thing – Briar rose - Baby Name Meaning, Origin, and Popularity | Nameberry

It should be ‘Briar Rose’, not ‘Briar rose’. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Double barrelled names appear like that. Interesting

2 Likes

Must be an old thing! Either way, both parts of the double barrel are supposed to be capitalised haha

1 Like

From the page on Rembrandt:

The name of the most renowned of the Old Masters is a potential, if problematic, option for families who put an emphasis on the creative.

I can’t think of any reason why this name is described as “problematic” (other than the spelling? But it’s not that difficult compared with many other names). To me, it seems like an unfairly negative word to use, especially as “problematic” can be used to mean racist, sexist, etc.

6 Likes