Database entries you’d like to see amended

From the page on Ringo (Ringo - Baby Name Meaning, Origin, and Popularity | Nameberry) :

“Better to stick with John, Paul, or George.”

Not a huge issue, of course— just though I’d mention it :blush:

3 Likes

[name_m]Ravine[/name_m] is listed as a variant of [name_u]Raven[/name_u], when I think it should just be defined as it’s own word name. A ravine is a small narrow steep-sided valley that is larger than a gully and smaller than a canyon and that is usually worn by running water. If [name_m]Cliff[/name_m] is a name, why not [name_m]Ravine[/name_m]?

6 Likes

Not that big of a deal but Selah is listed as meaning “rock” and then in the description it says “Given its context in the Bible, Selah is likely to mean “to praise” or “pause and reflect upon what has just been said.”" But Sela is listed as meaning “rock” then it says Lauryn Hill’s daughter is Selah “pronounced the same but with a different derivation and meaning.” - so the two pages are a bit confusing as to whether the names both mean rock with different spellings or if they’re totally different names.

6 Likes

On the page for the name [name_f]Marjani[/name_f], it says that [name_f]Marjani[/name_f] Satrapi is the author of the graphic novel Persepolis, but her name is actually Marjane.

6 Likes

[name_f]Dee[/name_f] is only currently listed as a girl name. In the UK, especially but not exclusively in [name_m]Wales[/name_m], [name_f]Dee[/name_f] is used as a boy name after the [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_f]Dee[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_m]Bnaya[/name_m] is currently listed as meaning unknown. It is a non-Anglicised spelling of [name_m]Benaiah[/name_m].

[name_m]Benaiah[/name_m] itself has a mistake in the meaning. It does not mean son of G-d, though I can see why people might make that mistake. It means “G-d builds” or “built by G-d” from the Hebrew verb bna בנה which means build, not the noun ben נן which means son.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if I’m right, but to me it seems like some people misunderstand nameberry’s concept.

I don’t think nameberry tries to be purely factual. Some other website are more neutral and only focus on meaning, history and etymology. Nameberry also tries to recommend certain names and advice against others and it uses more subjective language.

(I do think that some describtions are indeed too harsh and it would be better to change those.)

6 Likes

this was more meant in the context of a negative slant on a name. i get having a slant to the commentary. and usually they are witty and positive. but unless it’s a valid warning, it is better to have no slant than a negative slant.

it could even be some writers who just don’t do the sarcasm as well. and it ends up reading as mean instead of in jest.

1 Like

Okay, thank you for explaining! Also, I meant my comment more in general, not neccesarily directly to you :blush: .

1 Like

totally same :relaxed: mine was more to clarify than anything else

1 Like

I was looking at the page for the name Aela, but the lists under “Famous People Named Aela” and “Aela in Pop Culture” are for the name Trini instead.

2 Likes

i feel like pippa’s entry should mention that it has vulgar meanings in both swedish and greek (it is slang for sex in swedish, and means blowjob in greek) . it still slaps as a name, but if i were an expectant parent, i would want to know.

7 Likes

Is it intentional that “Unknown” is in the database? Right now the page for it is empty, if it’s supposed to be in there then adding anything - even just “english word name” - would help to clarify that this is not a mistake.

1 Like

The database entry for Erinna and Erina is the same even though Erinna appears to have other origins as a name rather than just being a frillier version of Erin.

Erinna was an Ancient Greek poet and other websites suggest the name might come from the Greek êrinos = “spring”, or from hêrôs = “hero” in combination with the feminine suffix -inna .

6 Likes

Apollos:

Most parents looking for the name of a Greek god, would prefer the original APOLLO.

I think most parents considering this name today are probably thinking of the Apollos in the Bible.

2 Likes

helsa is called:

“One of the least appealing of the Elizabeth nicknames.”

which is just kind of mean ?

if the reasoning behind this is the “hel-” start, why does it not says the same for helen? is there anything else wrong with helsa ??

perhaps this would be better:

“This Danish diminutive of Elizabeth could be a sweet, less-Frozen alternative to Elsa.”

oh also, i found this at the bottom of antonia’s page (which is, for the most part, perfectly lovely):

“Antonella is a pretty feminization; Antoinette, not so much.”

okay… then ?? alright ??

it just seems a little unnecessarily mean - and kind of irrelevant - especially at the end of a perfectly normal entry

11 Likes

Under the name [name_m]Daveed[/name_m] the description just says “An”. Could this be fixed?

6 Likes

Why is Manila/Manilla only listed for a girl? Under [name_f]Manilla[/name_f], the only “celebrity” listed is a boy, so why wouldn’t the name be listed as unisex? I can see how the names sound can be feminine leaning, but I was just curious as to why it only had a female entry.

2 Likes

[name_m]Piotr[/name_m] is listed as a Russian form of [name_m]Peter[/name_m] and simply a variation of [name_m]Pyotr[/name_m]. In fact it’s the Polish form of [name_m]Peter[/name_m].

3 Likes

Under the name [name_u]Ara[/name_u] it says “Ara was one of the many vowel-heavy three-syllable names popular at the end of the nineteenth century”, but [name_u]Ara[/name_u] is only two syllables.

6 Likes