Database entries you’d like to see amended

Ugh!! I hope they can change that soon!

1 Like

The capitalization needs to be fixed in the description for Ruta.

The description for Selwyn is rude. It says “Selwyn’s not a wynner.”

Out of curiosity, what sources does Nameberries use for their descriptions?

2 Likes

[name_m]Add[/name_m] names you want to see added to this thread.

1 Like

[name_m]Will[/name_m] do, thanks!

Oh, and Verena’s description is a bit unnecessary now that a multitude of older names are all coming back.

1 Like

The male version of [name_u]Cass[/name_u] refers to the meaning of [name_m]Casper[/name_m] and the female version refers to the meaning of [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f].
The man meaning comes from the andra part: ἀνήρ (aner) means man.

1 Like

at some point, i think [name_f]Katinka[/name_f] said that they were sourced from a name book? so some of the descriptions weren’t added by them

2 Likes

I think they were sourced from their own name book though, I’m sure they had several prior to / in the early days of Nameberry.

The database entry for [name_u]Rosen[/name_u] has conflicating pronunciations. In the ‘heading’ for the name, it says ROZ-en and in the description it says ROH-zen. I would love to know which one is correct/traditional. :blush:

2 Likes

Ahhh… Thank you. It just seemed weird to me due to the descriptions.

1 Like

[name_f]Tuilelaith[/name_f] doesn’t have a description or any information. It’s an older Irish spelling of [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] and means “Lady of abundance”.

3 Likes

Olivia’s entry still says it’s #2 in US, when it’s the most popular name now

3 Likes

I think Katalina’s entry is a bit too opinionated.

13 Likes

[name_m]Can[/name_m] I just clarify something about the purpose of updating the descriptions? Also disclaimer - every time time I write this out it seems to come off a bit snarky, but I swear I’m genuinely asking!

I orginally thought the idea was only to remove offensive/outdated/problematic descriptions, but I’ve seen a lot of posts here recently asking descriptions to be changed mostly because they are not positive about the name. Is Nameberry looking to get rid of the negative bits in name descriptions? I know it can be a bit soulcrushing to read something scathing about your favourite name, but I personally kind of like it the way it is now. I understand why you might want to make things generally more positive though. I know the comments on names were removed for similar negativity reasons (I think?) so I wasn’t sure if you guys were doing a complete rehaul with the opinions or not.

6 Likes

No, the personal voice is part of the NB brand and I know the site creators don’t want to lose that.

However, I am taking the opportunity to add more information to entries where it might just say something like “Stick with Ben” or “Stuck in the sixties”, as well as changing anything offensive or outdated, as some of these entries are several decades old now and fashions have moved on considerably.

8 Likes

Romany’s entry

[name_u]Romany[/name_u] is a melodious name referring to the Romani or [name_u]Traveller[/name_u] community and their culture

“Traveller” usually refers to Irish Travellers, who are not related to Romani people. [name_u]Romany[/name_u] is the name of Romani language, or a Romani person.

I think Romani alone explains enough here.

5 Likes

I’d like to see Lemuel’s entry changed.

[name_m]Lemuel[/name_m] is not only mentioned in the Bible, but the Book of Mormon as well, which is another sacred text. And I think it could be worth mentioning that [name_m]Lemuel[/name_m] is not a very positive association in the Book of Mormon, either, just as a heads up.

(From Wikipedia)

In the Book of Mormon, Laman and [name_m]Lemuel[/name_m] (/ˈleɪmən … ˈlɛmjuːl/)[1] are the two eldest sons[2] of Lehi and the older brothers of Sam, Nephi, Jacob, and Joseph. According to the text, they lived around 600 BC. They were notable for their rebellion against Lehi and Nephi, becoming the primary antagonists of the First and Second Books of Nephi. Their descendants became known as the Lamanites and Lemuelites, while the descendants of Nephi and their other brothers became the Nephites.

[name_m]Ellary[/name_m] is listed as masculine, but the celebrity listed is an actress (female). Wouldn’t this be better as a unisex entry, like [name_u]Ellery[/name_u] is?

2 Likes

The entry for “Alexa” doesn’t mention the Amazon [name_f]Alexa[/name_f] in the description.

8 Likes
[name_f]Heloise[/name_f]

The entry seems a bit contradictory when it says “Heloise is an ancient name with an uncertain derivation. Is it related to [name_u]Louise[/name_u] or not? Is [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] a variation of it or vice versa?”, considering a meaning is listed (although you could say instead that while the etymology is uncertain, a likely meaning is “healthy, hale; wide”, derived from the Germanic name Helewidis).

[name_f]Héloïse[/name_f]

[name_f]Héloïse[/name_f] is a variant of [name_f]Heloise[/name_f], so it should have the same meaning listed. The part about it sounding pretentious seems unnecessary.

[name_u]Maxi[/name_u] (feminine)

As a feminine name, it’s a diminutive of Maximiliane, not [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m].

Maybe add its meaning to the description (it’s a diminutive of Maximiliane is a [name_m]German[/name_m] feminization of [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m], which is derived from Latin [name_m]Maximus[/name_m], meaning “greatest”) and get rid of “Better to go with Minnie”?

[name_u]Maxi[/name_u] (masculine)

As a masculine name, [name_u]Maxi[/name_u] is a [name_m]German[/name_m] diminutive of [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m] and Spanish diminutive of [name_m]Maximiliano[/name_m].

[name_m]Add[/name_m] that it’s a diminutive of [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m] and [name_m]Maximiliano[/name_m]?

Also, I’ve noticed a lot of the unisex names are listed in lowercase:

4 Likes

The pronunciation on the name page for [name_f]Salomé[/name_f] is a little unclear to me.

I thought the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation was SAL-oh-may, not sa-lo-meh. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like