Database entries you’d like to see amended

I’m sure it’s possible! Not sure if it’s something I can do or if it would need to be done by our tech team. I’ll look into it.

6 Likes

[name_f]Hana[/name_f] is a gender-neutral name that means “work” in Hawaiian - I feel like that’s important.

1 Like

A small change, but @mea.ola’s post made me aware of the Mesa database entry.

I think it should say “Other geological choices” instead of “better”.

7 Likes

Other sites include “sun” as a meaning for [name_m]Elio[/name_m]. Not sure if NB would want to amend it or not, but thought I’d ask (I personally love the sun meaning)

11 Likes

[name_f]Dilara[/name_f] doesn’t have a description, meaning or origin. It’s Turkish meaning “she who delights the heart”, “she who is pleasing” or “what makes heart beautiful”.

6 Likes

The entry for Austėja is blank. Austėja is the Lithuanian Goddess of Bees, and her name means “to weave”. Pronounced AW-stay-uh.

6 Likes

In the description of [name_u]Xen[/name_u], it says “Among the celebrity set, [name_u]Corey[/name_u] Feldman has a [name_u]Xen[/name_u] and [name_u]Tisha[/name_u] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] Martin’s son is Zen.” However, this is actually the other way around.

1 Like

I noticed that [name_u]Alma[/name_u] is green, but there isn’t any information when you click on the boy’s name page.

The entry for Kahlo says it’s a name of Spanish origin right before it states that it’s actually not of Spanish origin but rather of German origin. This seems a little confusing, perhaps just leave the second bit about people thinking it’s a Spanish name but it actually being a German name?!

The name Kahlo is a girl’s name of Spanish origin meaning “bald”.
Contrary to popular belief, the name Kahlo has German origins, rather than Spanish. It derives from kahl , a German word meaning “bald.” Mexican Artist Frida Kahlo was born to a German father, photographer Guillermo Kahlo.

3 Likes

Desiree’s entry says it’s in danger of falling off, but it already did (last rank in 2017)

4 Likes

Me thinking that [name_f]Desiree[/name_f] is a very popular name though I’ve never heard it used - don’t know where I got that idea (seriously :joy:)

4 Likes

The entry was probably written prior to 2017. Definitely in need of an update.

I’ve met so many girls named [name_f]Desiree[/name_f], I’m actually really surprised it’s not more popular!!

3 Likes

[name_u]John[/name_u] comes up as green for unisex, but the girl page is blank and the boy page makes no reference to it being a unisex name.

4 Likes

I’d like to suggest a clarification to [name_f]Vilja[/name_f] - Vilja is a Finnish name meaning “grain” (just grain really, not small grain specifically) - it has lovely autumnal/harvest vibes to me. However, “the maid of the woods” meaning doesn’t come from Finnish at all, but from The Merry Widow which has an aria that references a mythical maid/nymph of the woods called Vilja: Hanna Glawari - Oxford Reference

Vilja in the opera is an alternative spelling of vila: Vila (fairy) - Wikipedia

So it’s a name with two completely different origins. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Some thoughts on these Dutch origin entries:

Kort - This means short in Dutch so I highly doubt this has any real (recent) history as a first name in the Netherlands (there less than 5 people with this name according to the Meertens Instituut) and I could also not really find any other references to this name in any other languages?
Jordaan - To my knowledge this also has no real history as a first name in the Netherlands (about 30 people with this as a first name); it is the name of a famous Amsterdam neighborhood though (besides referring to the Jordan river). Not sure how it made it to nameberry?
Valentijan - This seems to be a misspelling of Valentijn
Weit - Perhaps this is misspelling of Wout as a diminutive of Wouter?
Rip - According to nameberry it means ‘ripe, full grown’ I assume because in Dutch the word rijp means ripe and it sounds similar. But Rip is diminutive of Germanic names ending in -rik or -rijk meaning ‘considerable, mighty’ according to the Meertens Instituut.
Liesja - This name shows up as a Dutch origin name but the description reads “English variation of Liza, diminutive of Elizabeth "pledged to God”. However, as Dutch diminutive of Elisabeth I suspect that this is misspelling of Liesje? (Same as the name Lies)
Arje - Misspelling of Arjen (very similar to Arjan), derived from Adrianus
Bendix - Anglo-Saxon not Dutch?

EDIT: Perhaps Kort is the misspelling of Koert and/or Coert (derived from Koenraad or Coenraad, the Dutch variant of Conrad)

4 Likes

[name_m]Can[/name_m] [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] also be amended? The description states and in a post from [name_u]October[/name_u] 2020 on [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] boys names: “Variation of [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] that is actually much more popular than the original.” But [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] is not a “Spelling variation of Reuben”; it is the [name_m]Dutch[/name_m], [name_m]German[/name_m], Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, [name_u]French[/name_u], Italian and Armenian variation of [name_m]Reuben[/name_m]. So no wonder [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] is more popular in the Netherlands than ‘the original’.

3 Likes

I think the “actually more popular than the original” in the description for [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] is referring to the fact that in the US [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] is more popular than [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], the latter being the traditional spelling in [name_f]English[/name_f]. I don’t think it’s saying that it would be surprising for [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] to be more popular in the Netherlands given that, like you said, it’s the traditional spelling there.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying that! I found it in the post on [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] names so assumed to related to the Netherlands.

1 Like

The commentary on [name_f]Iekeliene[/name_f] feels very unnecessary and rude.

5 Likes