Database entries you’d like to see amended

Yes, it is on the list to be opened up again. It was an unintended consequence of the latest update to the main site.

anoushka – you might consider removing the term “olde world” from the description. feels a bit outdated

kaitlyn – “considerably overused and can no longer be seen as stylish” seems unnecessarily judgy past the point of opinion. maybe “this spelling has lost a bit of its shine since the 90’s” or something like that.

4 Likes

[name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] - [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] is one flower name that is used very quietly. [name_f]Geri[/name_f] “Ginger Spice” Halliwell joined her former Spice Sisters in creative baby-naming with this adventurous – some might say outlandish – choice. Distinctive and charming? [name_u]Or[/name_u] better suited to a farmyard animal? Your call.

The description is very negative about [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f]!

[name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] - That final vowel gives a serious, stately name a little flip at the end, making it more distinctive and modern if not right for every taste.

[name_f]Every[/name_f] name is not right for every taste, so I don’t see why [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] should be specifically mentioned!

[name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] - This Hebrew name of [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Esther[/name_f] is well used in [name_u]Israel[/name_u] (especially for girls born around the holiday of Purim), and in the US is the name of a Zionist women’s philanthropic organization. Formerly shunned as hyper-religious, this name entered the Top 1000 in 2007. The nickname [name_f]Haddie[/name_f] could make it more usable.

The description implies that [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] is, for the most part, unusable.

[name_f]Leona[/name_f] - A Top 100 name from 1896 to 1921, [name_f]Leona[/name_f] reached as high as Number 72. Since then, [name_f]Leona[/name_f] had seemed to be one of the most unfashionable of the pride of lion names, but singer [name_f]Leona[/name_f] [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] has done a lot to rejuvenate it. [name_f]Leona[/name_f] returned to the Top 1000 in 2009 after decades of being away.

It may be kinder to say something like “Leona was one of the less-common lion names.” A little less biased.

[name_f]Lilly[/name_f] - However, if you love the flower name but want to make it a little different, you’ve got to move far beyond [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] — or [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Liliane[/name_f], and sisters. You might consider [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], which means lily, or a less expected bloom like [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] or [name_u]Lotus[/name_u].

This just seems unnecessary to me. I think [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] is nice, while still being different! Not too different, tis true, but less common than [name_f]Lily[/name_f]!

[name_u]Marie[/name_u] - Now, though, [name_u]Marie[/name_u] sounds more dated than either [name_f]Mary[/name_f] or [name_u]Maria[/name_u], though it once rivaled both. [name_m]Even[/name_m] its days as a widely-used middle name have passed. The freshest way to use [name_u]Marie[/name_u] today may be as the first part of a traditional [name_u]French[/name_u] double name: Marie-Christine, Marie-Claude, and so on, or the [name_u]French[/name_u] diminutive [name_f]Manon[/name_f].

I don’t think [name_u]Marie[/name_u] sounds dated at all! [name_u]Marie[/name_u] is fresh on its own, in my opinion.

[name_f]Pollyanna[/name_f] - Has become an adjective for being overly optimistic.

I think this just isn’t necessary. I very much like [name_f]Pollyanna[/name_f], and I think it’s sweet, but I wouldn’t consider it overly optimistic, though it is strongly associated with Disney’s [name_f]Pollyanna[/name_f]. I just feel like this isn’t the only thing that should be said about [name_f]Pollyanna[/name_f].

[name_u]Ren[/name_u] - most Westerners would prefer [name_u]Wren[/name_u].

Not terrible, but something like “you could also consider Wren” or “Wren is more popular in the West” would be better.

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] - [name_u]Sully[/name_u] is not the most appealing of nicknames.

Better not mentioned, maybe?

[name_u]Finlay[/name_u] - formerly fusty

Unecessary, in my opinion. Why mention what it used to be, instead of what it is now?

3 Likes

There is likely more to say about Pollyanna as a name, but at this point the name has also become a word. People who have their heads in the clouds and/or are optimistic to the point of folly are sometimes called Pollyanna’s.

Merriam-Webster defines Pollyanna as “a person characterized by irrepressible optimism and a tendency to find good in everything”. Other dictionaries say similar things.

9 Likes

But statistically, it is more dated than [name_f]Mary[/name_f] or [name_u]Maria[/name_u]: it peaked, it declined, it’s no longer popular.

I don’t view [name_u]Marie[/name_u] as dated or boring either; but about this kind of things, statistics are often more relevant than personal opinions.

7 Likes

[name_m]Ackerly,Ackley[/name_m] as a name has always confused me as well! It even shows up as 5 syllables.

boniface

the sentence “a name only a pope could carry” seems unnecessary.

bronya

it’s a diminutive of the polish name bronisława, which means “glorious protection," and the sentence “evokes an image of peasant blouses, dirndl skirts, and babushkas” seems potentially offensive and/or unnecessary.

darius

its origin should be listed as “latin or greek from persian,” not “persian or latin from greek,” and it means “possessing goodness.”

dario

it’s the italian form of darius and means “possessing goodness,” and the sentence “more creative and classier than mario” seems unnecessary.

eda

the sentence “sounds too much like eater” seems unnecessary. you could also mention that it’s a medieval english diminutive of edith (and it should have the same meaning listed on edith’s page).

eldora

the sentence “there are much prettier names ending in dora, and the elderly first syllable doesn’t help.” seems unnecessary.

euphemie

its origin is listed as “english diminutive of euphemia, greek” but should be “french and english variation of euphemia, greek.” in the description, i’d recommend changing “variation of effie” to “variation of euphemia.”

falala

the last two sentences in the description (“add a few more la’s and you have a jolly christmas refrain" and "falala certainly makes one of the cleverer names for christmas babies”) seem potentially offensive and/or unnecessary.

mabli

in both the meaning and the description, “lovable” is misspelled as “loveable.”

ottilie

it’s the german (not french) form of the ancient germanic name odilia, which means either “fatherland, heritage” or “wealth, fortune.” i also don’t think “otto” needs to be in all caps.

6 Likes