Database entries you’d like to see amended

The entry of [name_m]Charlot[/name_m] has a tiny mistake. It should be “in the” instead of “int he”

2 Likes

not sure if this is a mistake, but on the page for [name_m]Warwick[/name_m], there’s an unnecessary t right before [name_m]Warwick[/name_m] in the second line.

1 Like

The pronunciation given for [name_f]Briallen[/name_f] is incorrect. The Welsh ll is not pronounced like the [name_f]English[/name_f] L sound.

2 Likes
  1. Would love to see Delta amended to a gender-neutral name. The only Delta I know is a man!

2. Would love to see Sorsha added as a girls’ name. It’s been on my mind lately! A notable reference is the princess from the 80s movie Willow.

4 Likes
Sorsha

Hehe just put this in the ‘names we’ve missed’ thread as well. Team Sorsha!!

1 Like

You and I spearheading all the love for this name the past few days is my favorite :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Three cheers for Sorsha!!

1 Like

@snowmaiden @persephonescrown as someone who has loved Sorsha (the character and the name) since I was very little, my heart is so happy seeing all this love!! :heart:

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Hoshi[/name_f] could be changed to be a unisex name! Technically it is a Japanese word name, as well as the fact that one of the pop culture references is a male named [name_f]Hoshi[/name_f] (it’s his stage name, but I think it applies!) It’s generally used more for girls, but I’m sure it’s been used for boys before.

1 Like

The page for [name_f]Zissy[/name_f] lists the origin as Hebrew and says it’s derived from a Hebrew word meaning “sweet”, but it’s actually from the Yiddish word for sweet, זיס or zis.

5 Likes

The name [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] is traditionally a masculine Cymraeg/Welsh name, though I know it’s more popular for girls nowadays. I understand it’s commonly said as “meh-ruh-dith” but traditionally the pronunciation is “muh-RED-ith” — with an emphasis on the second syllable!

I just thought that adding in the correct pronunciation in the boys database entry would be a good idea!

7 Likes

The name Nisse is also a Danish name meaning “elf”!

3 Likes

For [name_f]Sofie[/name_f], the name isn’t of Greek origin or alternate spelling, rather, it is the Italian variant of [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]. Same for Sofia; while the write-up is very nice, the origin should be noted as above. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:arrow_up:

It’s also [name_m]Danish[/name_m], Norwegian, [name_m]German[/name_m], Swedish, [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] and Czech, and those are only the ones I managed to find and confirm, there’s probably more. The same thing with [name_f]Sofia[/name_f], it might be better to list [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] as the original Greek variant and Sofie/Sofia as multiple origins

4 Likes

I’d like to see Lisa’s profile polished up. It’s very curt, verging on snippy, even compared to similar ‘out of date’ names like [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], [name_f]Diane[/name_f], etc (and I will mention, it’s still broadly popular outside of Nameberry’s mainly [name_u]North[/name_u] American sphere)

3 Likes

The [name_f]Blodwen[/name_f] database is harsh. It reads, simply: “One of the less-appealing Welsh wen names.” So judgemental! I know there’s a less curt and sly way to note that the name contains a “blood” syllable but is still pretty. The meaning is incredible! [name_m]Worth[/name_m] noting and amending.

6 Likes

I agree. It does seem a little harsh.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by it containing a “blood” syllable, so sorry if I have misinterpreted. But if you’re referring to the pronunciation of blod, it is actually pronounced rhyming with blot/plod.

Maybe the pronunciation should be added to the entry. Could boost it’s appeal :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

[name_m]Ah[/name_m], that’s an excellent insight! I’d always pronounced it “blood” as an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaker. Fantastic to know- and worth noting on the site. Thanks [name_f]Carys[/name_f]. :relaxed:

2 Likes

The entry for [name_f]Valeska[/name_f] says it’s of ‘Slavic, Polish origin.’
I don’t know about the general Slavic part (although most people named that seem to be German), but it’s definitely not used in Poland, there are 7 people named that in the country lol. The Polish language doesn’t even have the letter V.

6 Likes

The entry for [name_f]Ki[/name_f] has the name of [name_f]Ki[/name_f] Bo-bae misspelled as ‘Ba-boe’.

Dragomir’s entry says it’s ‘common to many Slavic countries including Serbia and Romania’. Romania is not a Slavic country, maybe write European countries instead?

7 Likes

The meaning for [name_f]Arddun[/name_f] is listed as “valley of the eagle” but that is incorrect. [name_f]Arddun[/name_f] means beautiful

3 Likes