Database entries you’d like to see amended

The meaning for [name_f]Arddun[/name_f] is listed as “valley of the eagle” but that is incorrect. [name_f]Arddun[/name_f] means beautiful

1 Like

[name_f]Sofie[/name_f] is not Italian variant of [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] does not even have an Italian variant. In [name_f]Italy[/name_f], we only have [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] and [name_f]Sonia[/name_f] as variants and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is common as name, while [name_f]Sofie[/name_f] not at all.

[name_f]Sofie[/name_f], [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] and variants indeed are of Greek origin, they come from the word σοφία.

Of course, [name_f]Sofie[/name_f] is not of Greek language (but yes of Greek origin). Though it is [name_m]German[/name_m], or [name_m]Dutch[/name_m], most likely, and not Italian.

Source: I literally am from [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_f]Italy[/name_f]. Also I am taking classical studies at school.

By the way I would love to see the name Heloria / Héloria added!

3 Likes

agreed with all of this, although i would add that it’s more accurate to call Sofia the original Greek form! Sophia is the anglicized spelling of the original.

3 Likes

[name_m]Just[/name_m] noticed that [name_m]Natty[/name_m] is listed as just for boys but it’s also a fairly common nickname for [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Natasha[/name_f]!

3 Likes

I think the description of [name_f]Clemensia[/name_f] could be updated, it’s a bit harsh.

“One of the less attractive ancient Latin names for girls. Spelling it [name_f]Clementia[/name_f] makes it slightly less botanical/medicinal, but updating it to [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] or [name_f]Clemence[/name_f] is an improvement.”

1 Like

[name_u]Coel[/name_u] is not traditionally unisex in [name_m]Wales[/name_m]. It is a masculine name in [name_m]Wales[/name_m], although it comes from the feminine noun coel meaning belief/trust/credit. [name_u]Coel[/name_u] [name_f]Hen[/name_f] (Coel the Old) was the name of a king in Ayr, and he is believed to have inspired the rhyme Old [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Cole[/name_m] (where [name_m]Cole[/name_m] is likely an anglicised spelling of Coel)

2 Likes

[name_m]Cleary[/name_m] and [name_m]Vaska[/name_m] are both only listed for boys, but the only people I’ve met with these names were girls

2 Likes

Is [name_f]Anjuli[/name_f] always pronounced “anne-JOO-lee” or is the pronunciation “ON-joo-lee” acceptable too?

I’m pretty sure the second pronunciation is the closest. The ones I’ve met have been “UN-juh-lee”.

2 Likes

That makes sense – the only pronunciation offered for [name_f]Anjuli[/name_f] right now is “anne-JOO-lee,” so I thought I’d bring it to your attention!

1 Like