Dated names that you love

They’re no longer in vogue and make most berries cringe, but you can’t help it. You love them anyway!

My personal favorite “dated” names are:
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Michelle[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]

What are everyone else’s?

Lately I’ve been seriously crushing on [name]Bernard[/name]. I love the nn possibilities of [name]Bernie[/name], [name]Bear[/name], and Ardy. I dig [name]Bernard[/name]'s studious, retro vibe too. I have a thing for [name]Grover[/name], [name]Hubert[/name], [name]Rupert[/name], [name]Peter[/name], and [name]Roger[/name] too.

[name]Barry[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]

[name]Dulcie[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Jenna[/name]

[name]Barbara[/name]
[name]Donald[/name]
[name]Constance[/name]
[name]Susan[/name]
[name]Deborah[/name]
[name]April[/name]
[name]Franklin[/name]
[name]Nancy[/name]

[name]Harriet[/name], [name]Agatha[/name], [name]Prudence[/name]
[name]Oswald[/name], [name]Walter[/name], [name]Bartholomew[/name]

[name]Lindsay[/name]
[name]Laurence[/name]
[name]Enid[/name]

I love [name]Laurence[/name], too! It would work great to honor my father ([name]Larry[/name]). But my absolute favorite dated name is [name]Heather[/name]. I adore this name and a lot of it has to do with a friend, but I think it’s lovely!

Is [name]Diana[/name] really that dated? I know it’s not the most stylish name around right now, but I didn’t think it every really took off enough to get the dated vibe. Or maybe I just think it’s not that dated because [name]Diane[/name] sounds more dated.

Mostly they aren’t so much names that I love as names that I get the appeal of. I totally understand why [name]Linda[/name] was as popular as it was, though it’s on the cusp of grandmotherlyness so I can’t really picture it on a modern child. I understand the popularity of [name]Jennifer[/name] and [name]Michelle[/name] as well, and [name]Neil[/name] and [name]Bernard[/name] (pronounced ber-nerd, rather than ber-NARD.) I also really like [name]Donna[/name], which I noticed had a little upswing this past year – possibly because it fits in well with all of the little Bellas running around?

[name]Gladys[/name] makes me really happy, so I am using it on an elderly vampire hunter in a short story. I used to be a big fan of the TV show the worst witch, from which I developed a love of [name]Enid[/name], [name]Ethel[/name], [name]Maude[/name], [name]Agatha[/name], and [name]Drusilla[/name], though the main character was named [name]Mildred[/name], and I still can’t get on board with that one.

[name]Arthur[/name] and [name]Agnes[/name]. Also like [name]Denise[/name].

Girl:
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Susan[/name]
[name]Rhoda[/name]
[name]Luella[/name]
[name]Marilyn[/name]
[name]Lori[/name]

Boy:
[name]Lavern[/name]
[name]Duane[/name]
[name]Eugene[/name]

:oops:

[name]Ryan[/name]- but hubby doesn’t like it
[name]Jenna[/name]-could never use, bad associations

That’s all I can think of right now.

I think of [name]Diana[/name] as being dated because I’ve never met anyone my age with the name (I’m 30ish) but I do recall people my parents’ age being named [name]Diana[/name]/[name]Diane[/name]. I agree with you though, that [name]Diane[/name] sounds even more dated. I really love [name]Diana[/name] though (due to the [name]Diana[/name] [name]Wynne[/name] [name]Jones[/name] and Wonder Woman associations), so I’m considering using it in the middle.

Oh, and I totally forgot about [name]Gloria[/name] and [name]Agatha[/name] earlier (although [name]Agatha[/name] fits in with the old-lady chic crowd, so it could make a comeback). [name]Love[/name] both of those!

[name]April[/name]
[name]Cynthia[/name]
[name]Patience[/name]
[name]Julie[/name]
[name]Danica[/name]

[name]Raymond[/name]
[name]Kevin[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Cedric[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name] (not sure about dated, but definitely past its prime)

[name]Michelle[/name]
[name]Deborah[/name]
[name]Jacqueline[/name]
[name]Stephanie[/name]

[name]Cynthia[/name] and [name]Heather[/name] both make me think of flowers but I know they’re really dated :frowning: Also I love [name]Rhonda[/name]. I think it’s because of the [name]Beach[/name] Boys song… Oh and [name]Tiffany[/name]! I don’t understand the hatred towards it, I love the sound and it just makes me think of a pretty girl. I just can’t get my brain to perceive it as trashy.

My favorite dated names are [name]Cheryl[/name] and [name]Deborah[/name].