Davis Williamson S?

I’ve loved [name]Davis[/name] for years (family name) but I took it off my list because of how it runs together with our S last name. Since our top boy name ([name]Wolf[/name]) is out at least with the next baby because of sibling name weirdness (Bay+Wolf=Beowulf), I’m reconsidering [name]Davis[/name]. I know it’s not a big deal to some but if that sort of thing annoys you, do you think [name]Davis[/name] [name]Sanders[/name] (not our ln but close) is too much S?

Also, do you think [name]Davis[/name] is ok with sister [name]Bayard[/name] “[name]Bay[/name]”?

Thanks!

I love [name]Davis[/name] but would not use it with an S last name. I always think it sounds terrible when first names end with the same sound as the last name starts with.

I agree with pp that the last and first letter should not be the same but I suppose it doesn’t bother everyone and if you [name]LOVE[/name] it :slight_smile:

I’m confused about [name]Wolf[/name] (which I love by the way!); you said you wouldn’t use it for the ‘next baby’ because of sibling weirdness but does that mean you wold consider it for a future child? Is Beowulf a current sibling? :-?

That’s the thing- it does bother me! I just don’t have other names that I love as much that will work.

Sorry for the confusion about “Beowulf,” we have a [name]Bay[/name] so I didn’t want to only have [name]Bay[/name] and [name]Wolf[/name] because I think people will think Beowulf (h doesn’t care but it bothers me) but I might consider it if there are siblings in between them.

I don’t know, it really could work. I’ve known people whose first names run into their last names like that and it’s not a terrible issue. I understand why it bothers you, though, and really you have to decide if it’s so irritating that you need to let go of the name and keep looking.

[name]Davis[/name] [name]Williamson[/name] [name]Sanders[/name] is a lot of S in one name. There’s nothing technically wrong with [name]Davis[/name] [name]Sanders[/name], although it will be hard for some people to say. Personally I would consider using [name]David[/name] instead, although I understand [name]Davis[/name] is a family name. [name]Cora[/name] is a big family name for me, but I can’t actually get the name [name]Cora[/name] to come out of my mouth. It’s too hard for me to say. So I added [name]Corinne[/name] to my list instead. There’s nothing wrong with tweaking family names.

Thank you for the tip! I am definitely not against alternatives, I just can’t find any I like. [name]David[/name] is nms not to mention it’s my step-brother’s name so that’s not an option.

It’s so annoying because I’ve taken many favorites off my list since I’ve been with my husband because the ends in S thing really does bother me (of course I have to like lots of names that fit that description). I thought that maybe if everyone on here said that it wasn’t a big deal I might be able to overlook it but I guess we’ll just have to scratch it again. I really appreciate the feedback- most people I know don’t have a clue about names so this is my only way of getting reliable opinions.

I hate you have to scratch [name]Davis[/name] again. If you were considering [name]Davis[/name] for the middle name I would say it isn’t a problem at all. Are you completely in love with [name]Williamson[/name]? What do you think of shortening it to [name]Wilson[/name] and bumping it to the first name spot? I think [name]Wilson[/name] [name]Davis[/name] [name]Sanders[/name] would be a distinguished choice.

If you do love [name]Williamson[/name], what other names are you considering for the first name?

[name]Williamson[/name] is not set and [name]Davis[/name] is on my list for middles, I just really wanted to make it work for a first! With [name]Wolf[/name] and [name]Davis[/name] out of the running, my top boy name is [name]Miller[/name], which I love and my husband doesn’t hate. I just worry that [name]Miller[/name] [name]Sanders[/name] is too much -er? It’s the last name that is making this so difficult! I also want to avoid three 2-syllable names if possible and almost all of the family names I’m considering for middles are 2-syllables, which is why I defaulted to [name]Williamson[/name].

It does run together quite a bit and is tricky to say properly - I end up with Davisanders almost every time. IF you really love it and can’t find anything you love more, I’d go for it, but I think it’s worth continuing the search a little bit longer.

What about nicking the -son off of [name]William[/name] and giving it to [name]Davis[/name] - ie. [name]Davison[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Sanders[/name]. I realize it’s unconventional, but it would technically constitute a surname name (which seem well liked and popular), it sort of works if [name]Davis[/name] is a family name (even if he isn’t explicitly a son of a [name]Davis[/name]), and you could still call him [name]Davis[/name] as a short form without having his fn ln run together quite so much. There is still a fair bit of s, but the -on breaks it up a little.

:slight_smile: me and bf love [name]William[/name] [name]David[/name] and we will name first boy that :).

I love so many -son names but have decided I can’t use them as first names because the beginning of our last name sounds like Sawn. [name]Don[/name]'t you think that runs together too much to use? otherwise I would definitely consider it.

With all of the problems this last name is causing, maybe I should try to convince h to change it to something else :slight_smile:

I actually don’t think [name]Miller[/name] [name]Sanders[/name] is that bad. Looking at your top boy’s choices, I have to say that [name]Holland[/name] really stood out to me. [name]Holland[/name] [name]Davis[/name] [name]Sanders[/name]? [name]George[/name] [name]Davis[/name]?

The son prefix does sound a bit repetitive, but it doesn’t run together for me like [name]Davis[/name] [name]Sanders[/name]. It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me. However, it’s entirely possible that’s an accent thing, and you of course know what your local accent sounds like best.

Out of the top boys names you have listed in your signature, I think I like [name]George[/name] best, but [name]Holland[/name], [name]Davis[/name], and [name]Miller[/name] fit a bit better with [name]Bayard[/name]. Not that that matters as much as you might think. [name]Miller[/name] [name]Sanders[/name] does sound a bit like [name]Millicent[/name] though, and is a bit too occupational.

Ugh I just typed out a long reply and it didn’t post! Anyway, our last name is almost like Sanders- the first syllable is prn sawn. I think Miller is my #1 name right now but are the -er/-ers endings too repetitive?

I also love Holland. My hesitations with it are kind of silly: I’ve never been to Holland and a school I attended and which is prominent in our area has that in the name.

George is one I really love but don’t know if I’d actually be able to use. Growing up with a popular name has made me a little afraid to use anything too common.

I really appreciate all of the help- it’s hard to always predict what will sound bad to people other than myself and I sometimes think I make too much of a minor issue.