Dawn

(Not expecting, just collecting!)

What do you think of the name [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] for a little girl?

I know it’s very dated but I really love the sound of it, and prefer it to something like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] (which I find hard to say myself, I trip over the Rs).

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] could work for a child born today?

Thanks!

I like it! It is pretty dated though

Of course! I think it fits right in with the Esters, [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]’s, and all the other dates names coming back into style. In my opinion I think it’s way better than all those.

The two Dawns I have met are middle aged women, but I think [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] would still work well on a child today. My mental reaction would be “Huh, wasn’t expecting that. But, I like it.” I think it would fit in well with some of the on trend names right now like [name_f]Luna[/name_f].

My first association was the dishwashing liquid, but I still think it’s a pretty name. It feels tailored and feminine, and a pleasant surprise on a child today.

I find the sound a bit harsh which part of the reason why I find it hard to picture on a little girl, along with the fact that I have only known middle-aged women with the name. It’s definitely not my style but it might be nice to hear it on a young girl.

I feel like this is a name I should like more than I do. I like its imagery and I generally like short and non-frilly names like this, but unfortunately this one just doesn’t appeal to me. Maybe it just needs more time for me, as I have known a lot of older people with this name.

The only [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] I’ve ever met in real life was unpleasant, but when I disassociate her from the name I find that I appreciate it’s streamlined look and sound. I also like that it’s a nature name. I can see it having a revival at some point. Until then, it’s kind of an unexpected gem.

“dated” is such an interesting word because a lot of names I like were popular in the 60s. Yet things like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] were more like the 20s and that’s not “dated” that’s stylish. Sometimes, having everyone else think your choice is “dated” is a good thing because it’s not going to get popular anytime soon.

To answer your question though: no I’m not a fan. I tend to not like “D” names for girls: [name_f]Dalilah[/name_f], [name_f]Dalia[/name_f], [name_f]Diana[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] etc, not a fan. I find D to be harsh and [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] being only syllable only makes it harsher for me. I much prefer [name_f]Fawn[/name_f] or [name_f]Fauna[/name_f]. If I had to pick a D name, I would go [name_f]Donna[/name_f] over [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]. However, I think these are stylistic differences and have nothing to do with the era the name was popular. I say go for it!

My first thought was indeed that it feels dated, which is not at all surprising really as I’ve only ever heard the name on older women, and it’s extremely rarely used nowadays. Many names I can understand as to why they haven’t made a comeback when they sound harsh, heavy and/or clunky, as many of the older names can, but that’s not really the case for [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]. It’s unfortunate really as it’s such a short, simple, sweet little name, and the imagery due to the word dawn is just lovely. I wouldn’t mind coming upon a young [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] - it would be delightfully unexpected.

I really like [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]! Its on my longer list.
I enjoy dated/ old names, I like that it is a nature name, peaceful imagery and non-fussy :slight_smile:

[name_m]Just[/name_m] looked it up, popularity peaked in the 70s

I love [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] and often regret that it has fallen out of use because it was previously popular. I think it would make a gorgeous middle name, but I also think it is still wearable as a first.

I used to think of it as pretty dated, but [name_f]Buffy[/name_f]'s sister [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] on [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] the Vampire Slayer changed my perspective somewhat. I like it!

[name_f]Dawn[/name_f] is good on paper - simple, straightforward, clean, fresh - but I’d never use it thanks to the dish soap and how close it is to [name_m]Donald[/name_m]’s “[name_m]Don[/name_m].”

[name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_f]Fern[/name_f], [name_f]Fawn[/name_f], [name_u]Vale[/name_u], [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] are more appealing, [name_f]IMO[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]. It’s simple, sweet and pretty. I don’t see it as more dated than names like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], which are making a comeback.

Thanks everyone! I think I’ll keep it on my list for now :slight_smile:

I actually really like [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]! Yes, it’s dated but it also feels natury and fresh

I like [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]! It’s sweet and beautiful.

It would be a cool middle name, but I think it’s still too dated for a first name.

Although it is dated, I can definitely imagine it on a child. Dated names are coming back in style though, so I don’t think the fact that it is dated is an issue.