Dealing With Discrepancies

Does anybody else have a discrepancy in style between some of their favourite names or between their boy and girl names? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you try for consistency in any hypothetical (or real!) sibsets? What names do you love that don’t fit together at all?

This is, of course, a thinly veiled excuse to panic about my own challenges. [name_f]My[/name_f] number one boy name is, and has been forever, [name_m]Ronan[/name_m]. It’s perfect, and I can’t see myself picking something else if I ever have a boy.

However, it does feel a little out-of-sync with my top options for girls ([name_f]Persephone[/name_f], [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f], [name_f]Aurembiaix[/name_f]).

Do you think this is a problem? What would you name my children? What would you name your children?

1 Like

I’m the same way! [name_f]My[/name_f] top boy name is [name_m]Augusto[/name_m] but my top girl names tend to be more out there! Personally I try to make the middle names as cohesive as possible so for you I would have [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] and give them a more Greek middle name, example: [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Lilla[/name_f]!

3 Likes
 I do have one major outlier/discrepancy on my list. Rose. It stands apart from other favourites -Emerald, Azure, Saffron, Forester, Oakley- in it’s average and plain style. I do think, since Rose is a nature name as are the rest of my top names, I would just use it and not worry. I will probably keep it in the middle spot tho. But if I love a name, I will not be too fussed if it doesn’t go perfectly with the rest od my style. 
I like the pp’s suggestion, of tying the middle name for Ronan with your girls’ names. But again, if you love the name, I’d honestly just do it and not worry.

I think my girl names are slightly more adventurous, but not strikingly so.

I don’t really think it’s too much of a problem, but I don’t think consistency is the most important thing for siblings; after all, they’re individuals!

My boy names are typically surname/ occupation and my girls that I love are long and frilly with unisex nickname options.

My partner loves unisex name on girls so I don’t know if we will ever find the perfect compromise

1 Like

I think I like the names in a sibset to feel somewhat coherent - if I can picture me calling them all down for dinner without feeling like I’m listing high fantasy book characters for the girls and this year’s top 10 for the boys (or vice versa), I’m good.

Cordelia and [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_f]Viveca[/name_f] & [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] or [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] & [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] would be totally fine for me while Plumrose [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_f]Twyla[/name_f] & [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] or [name_m]Cyprian[/name_m] [name_m]Remus[/name_m] [name_u]Antoine[/name_u] & [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] would feel just a bit unfair.

However, I also think that when it comes down to naming an actual human being, any super adventurous names would go out the window, or in the middle name spot, anyway, as I honestly would feel a little pretentious calling out for Willowfae-Margobell or Forrestnight-Percymoon on the playground or at school pick-up (not judging anyone else, that’s just me) - all the rest of my names are close enough in vibe that I would happily use them for siblings even if they’re not “perfect” together on paper.

1 Like

Yes I have this problem. Boys names I tend to like traditional/classic and girls I like very preppy names. I just search and searched for the right name as I personally like for my children to have the same style in names. with [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] I immediately think of nature girl names?

1 Like

My thoughts are along the lines of the suggestion that you can balance out the two styles by using a middle name similarly styled to the sibling’s first name. While quite different and stark on paper, I wouldn’t bat an eye at hearing [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] and [name_f]Aurembiaix[/name_f] - which I’ve never seen before, had to search how to pronounce, and love the sound of!

My style for boys and girls does differ in that I’m typically drawn to short, punchy boy names, and longer, softer names for girls. That said, my two boys aren’t very similar so all notion of stylistic grace is already out the window :joy:

1 Like