Deleted

[DELETED by Author]

5 Likes

no, i don’t think that works unfortunately since [name_f]Becca[/name_f] is so associated with [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]

(and are you asking if [name_f]Jill[/name_f] & [name_u]Casey[/name_u] work as nns for [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]? or as siblings? because i don’t see how they could work as nicknames)

That’s fair, I was probably getting ahead of myself :joy: and yeah I was wondering if they worked as nicknames. I have a friend of the name [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] and she wants a different nickname than [name_u]Jess[/name_u] or [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] so we’re trying to find one that could actually be accepted. What would you suggest?

hmm. i was thinking you were asking for a future child situation, but knowing it’s for someone named jessica i guess it’s a little different. maybe [name_f]Jessa[/name_f]? or if she has a middle, she could use that?

since it’s for herself, honestly if someone told me “my name is [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] but i go by Jill” or something, i’d be a little confused but wouldn’t think much of it

Essie or Esca!! also maybe a nickname using first & middle or first & last?

eta: a bit more of a stretch, but maybe Jackie or Jac/Jack could work?

1 Like

We already thought about [name_f]Jessa[/name_f], but it doesn’t really appeal to her, and she thinks it will still be shortened to [name_u]Jess[/name_u]. Also her middle name is an honour name for a close family member, who’s lovely, but has a name with the same sort of datedness as [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] or [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f], so she can’t use that either.

This is really cool and I was unaware of naming trends in the Middle Ages, but makes sense because [name_m]Bill[/name_m] for [name_u]William[/name_u] or [name_m]Dick[/name_m] for [name_m]Richard[/name_m] always seemed so strange to me. Maybe following these guidelines Jessica>Jessie>Bessie>Betsy? But it’s very fun!

1 Like

Hmm not sure on [name_f]Becca[/name_f] but [name_f]Bess[/name_f] maybe? [name_f]Becca[/name_f] just feels too attached to [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]

[name_f]Jessica[/name_f] nn…

[name_f]Essie[/name_f]
[name_u]Jay[/name_u]
JJ
[name_f]Sia[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessie[/name_f]

I think the reason why Bill/Peggy works for William/Margaret is that they have been used for centuries. They are very well established as nicknames for those names, people wouldn’t be surprised to hear they are short for those names. But for [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] nn [name_f]Becca[/name_f] there’s is no connection no history not even sound similarity between the names. Plus [name_f]Becca[/name_f] is already strongly associated with another name. I don’t think it would stick.

1 Like

I love the idea if [name_f]Becca[/name_f] wasn’t already so closely associated with [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]!

How about [name_u]Jay[/name_u], [name_u]Jax[/name_u], [name_u]Jem[/name_u], Iska, [name_f]Eska[/name_f]?

Maybe by this logic [name_u]Cass[/name_u] could work? Like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] —> [name_f]Meg[/name_f] —> [name_f]Peg[/name_f], [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] —> [name_u]Jess[/name_u] —> [name_u]Cass[/name_u]

Fun to think about what other names that letter-changing convention could work for!! [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] could be Lu…

As others have said, [name_f]Becca[/name_f] is just so tied to [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] already. I do like the above options of [name_f]Essie[/name_f] (in my personal top 10!) or [name_u]Jem[/name_u]. I also don’t think [name_f]Jill[/name_f] is too crazy. Yes, people will question it, but I’ve heard weirder more convoluted nicknames. If your friend likes [name_f]Jill[/name_f], then I say she should go for it! [name_u]Casey[/name_u] works as well, but I just don’t like that one.

No, I don’t think it would work as this isn’t a current nicknaming trend.